1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Brad Stevens new Boston Celtics head coach

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Jul 3, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Ugh, great. I hate the way he coaches his players to foul on every play and to slide under every drive to the basket. At least he'll be gone from NCAA.
  3. CAGator93

CAGator93 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    wow - didn't see that coming
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,294
    From 4 eyes to 7 figures....only in America.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Great collegiate coach, but the NBA is so different, from style to responsibilities to relationships with players. If he succeeds, I will be shocked. Unfortunately for him (or maybe fortunately, if his goal is to lock down one of the elite programs in college hoops the way Pitino did--twice), their decision to emaciate the roster will likely mean he is dealing with a ton of youth and precious little talent the next 3-4 years.
  6. MiddleTNgator

MiddleTNgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    I'm happy just for the simple fact it is not someone who has been fired 3 times previously like 90% of the new coaching hires in the NBA and NFL it seems.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +688
    Wow, happy for him, but wow. Not only will he be working with a young team as rserina mentioned, its possible the "leader" of the team will be Rondo. I hope Rondo goes to LA in a trade or something, but if he doesn't, Brad's got his work cut out for him.

I hope he does well and sticks, but my uninformed guess is that he won't. My bet is that he's got major college basketball programs clamoring for him if he fails.
  8. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    How well this works out will be mostly determined by how serious the Celtics are about him being the long term answer as coach. I have spoken to a couple NBA front office people tonight who both have recently been a part of coaching searches and while both proclaim happiness with who they hired, both also are upset with themselves that they did not reach out to Brad. He is extremely respected by all basketball people and many feel he has a ton of Pop in him. In truth the Celtics youth movement favors him as the toughest people to win over in the NBA are often the veteran super stars. As Coach K said respect won't be an issue for Brad who demands it with his knowledge, demeanor and work ethic.

IMO he is more tailored for the NBA than someone like Billy and that's not a knock on Billy. Coach D is amazing at teaching his system and may be top three in the world at teaching offensive spacing, but he is not great in situational basketball. Up till now it just hasn't been his strength. The NBA is so much about managing possesions and really setting up certain shots for certain guys. Same thing defensively. Brad S. is really strong in these area's and this is where he reminds so many of a young Pop. Brad is so strong in situational bball and if the Celtics give him time and talent, most believe he will be extremely successful. IMO it's a great long term hire.
  9. CAGator93

CAGator93 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +106

Try 7 figures
  10. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,294
    My bad....just gave him a raise.
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    if rondo is still around I'll give 3:1 odds that we have another spreewell/carlesimo situation before Christmas
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +164
    Based on the records of coaches who have gone directly from college to the NBA, including Rick Pitino and John Calipari, it looks like the Celtics are making a big mistake. That being said, perhaps Brad Stevens will be the exception. No one expected two consecutive Final Four appearances by Butler either.

CBS Sports
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Interesting. I tend to agree on Donovan. I don't follow Butler closely enough to be able to judge his court acumen. The comparison with Popovich is a little difficult to see because, well, Popovich is a certifiable ass who approaches his teams with the rigor of a drill sergeant. He also learned under Brown.

It strikes me that film geeks like Spoelstra, Vogel, Thibodeau and the like are the new direction of the NBA, not system guys or motivational speakers or players coaches, because the combination of advanced statistics, fluid rosters, and different styles of play means you have to adapt your strategy almost weekly. If Stevens fits that mold, he might be fine.

The problem with the youth movement is not just youth, but the lack of developed talent that often goes along with it. They will have to tank for two or three years to stock the cupboard, but that will assume they also get lucky in the 2014 lottery. Can Stevens give them reason enough to keep him around until they get back on the upswing?

Surprising to see Martin sign with the Wolves, but Adelman has been great for him. With a healthy Rubio and Love, they should be a playoff team next year.
  14. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    Stevens fits the exact mold you mention. He is a huge stat guy. In fact, he was the first college coach to put a statistician on the bench. He is very similar to Spoelstra, but your comment about the time they give him is exactly the point of my original post. If this is a true long term move, I love it. He may be like Spoelstra, but Eric as good as he is has the benefit of coaching the best player in the world.

I'm not sure where you get your info on Pop and I don't know him personally, but I do know players who have played for him and they love him, I also have known RC since his Gator days and he's a great guy who speaks very highly of Pop.

Kmart, chose the Wolves for many reasons. He really did not enjoy OKC last year. Brooks won't coach his stars like Pop does and there is some immaturity amongst the stars of OKC. Not that they are bad guys just that individual stats and awards are very high on their list of priorities. Scotty is not strong enough right now to coach that out of them. Kevin had an unbelievable year in terms of efficiency but even in the playoffs after Russ went down wouldn't adjust his rotation or play calling to get Kmart the ball. Kevin is only 30 and he feels he still can be a 20ppg plus scorer for a contender. He has never played with a pass first pg like Rubio or had an inside player like Love. Adelman drafted him and he can run his plays in his sleep. Flip is a great defensive guy and Kevin thinks they are a team headed in the right direction.

What many people don't get is that most NBA players love the game. While the money is important for guys like Kevin who is humble and lives responsibly, it's not as much about the money as it is about personnel and fit and PT. Kevin wants to play and feels he has a lot to give as last years advanced metrics really show.

With all that said, I can tell you there was a part of him that loved playing with KD and Russ. Those guys are just so good and he enjoyed being a part of a winner. He couldn't even watch the playoffs after the lost because he and the rest of the Thunder were convinced they could have beaten the Heat this year. I don't necessarily agree, but I know OKC was heart broken when RW went down.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    I wasn't speaking so much about him personally as his approach to the game. He isn't a "warm and fuzzy" kind of guy. He commands the respect of his players, which I think is one reason why they have done so well with international prospects. Those guys bring a professionalism that the travel circuit just does not breed in American preps.
  16. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +431
    Stevens was the heir apparent to Coach K. (at least among the Iron Dukies).

That's a fact.

:grin:
  17. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I think the Thunder would have blown the Spurs off the court, but I don't think that means they beat the Heat even if the Spurs almost got them. They don't match up well with the Heat while they do with the Spurs.

If Minnesota can get and stay healthy, they will be a very dangerous team next year. As usual, the West is stacked and the east is pretty weak except at the top.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +688
    I'd take him over Wojo any day. I think he could still replace K.
  19. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    West is really stacked. Love what the Clips have done this off season.
  20. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Not sure the Celtics are quite as bad off as people think.

Rondo's a Top 5 PG in the game, irrespective of talent.

Jeff Green averaged better than 20 PPG as a starter last year.

They really, really like Jared Sullinger and Avery Bradley.

They've got nine first round picks spread out over the next five years, and expiring contracts to package them with. (Humphries, Bass, Rondo, Wallace, etc.)

They're going to be really interesting far quicker than people think.