Brad Phillips

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Coach1987, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    He just posted in this thread two posts up "proud_poppa".

I can't even imagine the pressure that Christy must be under to have such great success as a FR. Where do you go from there? Makes sense that he's now trying to kill the ball. Reminds me of golf. When I try to kill my drive, nope. It's when I have a nice pendulum swing, I can hit very far.

He'll get it back. He's too good not to.
  2. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Gator 8239,

There is a guy by the name of Matt Leach who resides near UF. Remember him ? He finished his career as your 2nd all time leading scorer which says a lot since he only place-kicked for 3 years. However, he was your punter his freshman year and did a great job.

He's now coaching and has put three kickers into college. I taught him everything I learned over a 30 year period of coaching. Matt knows what he's doing.

That's the guy Christie needs to see. Matt would have him back in no time at all.

You are correct kk8gr. That's exactly what I used to tell people. I basically coach a golf swing. Even your hip follow through is the same.

A kicker can't coach himself. When I kicked I knew what the problem was but it was difficult to correct because you can't observe yourself from a distance to put the right adjustment in to correct the problem. All it takes is one little thing out of whack and everything goes down the toilet.

Christie needs to practice by stopwatch. That's the method I use. I can tell you if the kick is good or not without looking at the goal posts by stopwatch. I demonstrated that method to Coach Teevans and Collins. It really blew their mind. That's how I ended up at UF as a consultant. It works. Kicking is all timing.
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    Never kicked in college, but I would LOVE prove you wrong. IT'S AN EXTRA POINT... I know what that entails. It's not rocket science, my friend. My apologies if I offended you though.
  4. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    gator4life,

Thank you. No offense taken. With all due respect I've been doing this a long time including 2 years at the NFL level. I know for a fact you can't do it. You may think it looks easy, but it's not even close to being as easy as you think it is. However, nothing wrong with dreaming.
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Thanks Coach.....I truly admire some of these kids who consistently make the kicking game look easy. Caleb Sturgis was one of the best kickers we ever had at UF, but I wonder how many people can name the snapper and the holder who were essential to his terrific placekicking ability? I was a decent HS kicker but we had a few low moments as well. One of my misses went straight into the center's rump. I heard about that one for years!
  6. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    PTCGator,

Good job. You truly are a kicker. I don't consider a guy a kicker until he hit the center in the butt at least once. Yes, I've done it myself.
  7. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    hey coach, i appreciate you calling me out. i did kick in high school, sure nothing is automatic, alot is on the snap and the hold. i was referring only to the kick. if snap and hold are solid then the kick, from extra point distance is not difficult at all. and before you act like you know who i am, reason i didn't go try to walk onto a college team or go play D3 somewhere is because my dad had terminal cancer so i stayed in jacksonville for college to spend time at home before he died 2 years ago. so before you go making assumptions and calling me out you should think about what you say. i kicked, missing from extra point distance is almost hard to do. a kicker at UF should be able to do it, hands down. no excuses.
  8. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Aww come on coach your stories would be way better with names, was it Butkus, lambert, maybe singletary?

Leach wasn't getting that done by himself, holding correctly and making adjustments depending on distance, as well as snap speed are just as critical when differentiating tenths of a second.

Sure at some point kickers will miss, it just makes sense. It's almost unfair that games come down to kickers. Especially these days with more athletic kickers. I agree that a soccer player who has kicked and ran all his life would run circles around any other position player. But put a kicker at db or o line and see how long they last. Shoot these jokers used to go barefoot or had half a foot, Dempsey.

Kickers are kickers, figure it out. Especially punting.

And for the love of god, pooch punt more....it's like a pump fake. Works most of the time!
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    You lost me at "I know for a FACT you can't do it". You don't know that. There's NOTHING you can say that will convince me an extra point isn't easy. NOTHING.... Sorry, missing extra points is absolutely unacceptable. Especially as the kicker of the university of Florida. Or any big time program. These kickers are the best of the best.... I don't mind missing a few FGs here and there, that has more variables. Wind, trajectory, hash mark etc... But an extra point?

In the words of Boomer and the gang: "come on, maaaaaan"!!

Going to exit this thread. Don't want to start a pissing match. I appreciate/respect all gators....kickers, punters, long snappers... Doesn't matter.

Go gators!
  10. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Extra points are pretty easy
  11. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Jax,

I didn't call you out as you put it. It's just that you're fans, and that is what you are. You are not a player, but a fan. Nothing wrong with being a fan until a fan becomes delusional and starts thinking he's a better athlete than a real athlete. So when I see laughable statements made by fans on a public forum criticizing a real player on how easy something is on something I coached for over 30 years I have a tendency to correct the record.

Hebron, I lettered in three sports. My father was a former major league pitcher. When you have a major league pitcher throwing balls at you since you were 5 years old you get to be a pretty good hitter. I also lettered in track (pole vault/ 180 low hurdles) and I played QB & DB (1st string) in H.S.. I'm not claiming to be a great athlete because I wasn't (well baseball I was pretty good at) but kicking was the most challenging out of all of them. With all due respect, your theory on stereotyping kicker's athletic ability is seriously flawed.

Spurrier, Jim Thorpe, etc. were very good athletes and they kicked. I could name several others, but kicking is not as easy as what some of you think it is. That's just the point. You think it's easy because you've never done it competitively.

Another example of someone who thought something was easy was our heavyweight, weight lifting state champion when I coached at Booker H.S. who thought Matt Leach's squat routine of 45 reps (180 lbs.) in one set was easy. Eddie never made it past the 19th rep. He changed his tune after that.

If I had a nickel for every guy that told me how easy kicking is I could have retired a long time ago. If I was in a position to do so, I loved putting those guys to the test. It was entertaining watching them make fools out of themselves. I never saw one of these kicking critics kick worth a damn when I gave them the chance to prove how as they claimed, just how easy kicking is.

One thing I can tell you. After I put these guys to the test, they never said one word to me again about how easy kicking is.
  12. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Listen, I used to go kick, and make, field goals from the ten yard line when I was 8. Big whoop
  13. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    UFFL,

Big whoop ????? I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to convince me of. Are you saying you kicked f/gs from the ten yard line when you were 8 years old ? Or are you saying you kicked f/gs from the ten yard line after drinking 8 beers ?

If you're actually claiming you were kicking 20 yd. f/gs at 8 years old (which I don't take seriously) I can only assume your long snapper was the family dog, your holder was your pet gerbil, and your line rush came from the neighborhood cats which would be a very strong line rush if your holder was a gerbil.

These forums never cease to amaze me.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Lol you took my comment way too seriously. The big whoop was that even though I could do it at 8, it doesn't really mean anything
  15. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    You can't win with these people. They sit behind their computers and think they're big shit. If they treat people "in person" the way they treat people on here, I imagine they don't have enough friends to snap or hold the football for them.

Either way, video proof is not that hard. Go out to your local school and put one through the uprights. Even if it takes 100 tries to get it right, both points will have been proven.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    So you would have cut Sturgis after his freshman year? He missed two.
  17. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Everybody's so sensitive
  18. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    I believe that's why they spend so much time posting on here.

Seriously, typical of this forum.
  19. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Jesus Christ it was a ****ING JOKE
  20. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,168
    Guys, this thread has slowly gone down hill. We're going to have to close it down. And then remove it. We need to keep our various discussions as objective as we can and keep from letting personal remarks etc overtake them.

Thanks,
    And Go Gators!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.