Brad Lawing: Developing a Defensive Line Pass Rush Plan

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 17, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They record these at coaching seminars either on campus or nationally and then high school coaches buy them so they can teach their players. Fans can buy them as well if you want to know more about what is going on in the game. Muschamp has one talking about secondary coverages that you can buy as well.

Lawing is all about building a front 7 that can rush the passer and get off the field on 3rd down. It will be interesting to see what he does with Fowler this year I expect him to be in many different spots when we play Bama.

I know some "fans" love blitzing but the big thing we want to do when it comes to rushing the passer is effecting the QB with just sending 4. Here is just a clip from Lawing's dvd on pass rushing. First few clips you see that when we were playing spread teams in certain games we had 3-3-5 Fowler at DE and using Powell as buck. Then they take Powell of and use Fowler standing up.

I would assume a big part of camp on the defensive line was trying to figure out who would be that 2nd pass rusher on the Dline with Fowler. The options are McCalister Willis Ball and Powell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,251
    Thanks AZ. I think Ball and Fowler will have monster years. Next year will be McCalister's year.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GoGators1022

GoGators1022 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Excellent post, AZ. There is so much more going on at the LOS then the casual fan realizes. For the casual fan watching the game, our eyes are always on the ball, so it's easy to miss things like this during a live game. I wish fans could get their hands on game tape that coaches get so we could break things down like this or at least view the game from a different perspective. I'd love to sit in a room with our staff and listen to them break down film. That would be an awesome experience.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    Love the nuts and bolts stuff
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Watch out for Rolin in 2015 he was recruited to do what R. Powell did at the beginning of the year last year. If CeCe Jefferson commits to UF he should be able to help out rushing the passer in 2015 too.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    I've become pretty obsessed with the idea that getting pressure with the front four (or front three + one linebacker we rush or whatever the heck it is we're running out on any given play) is the key to a successful pass defense. A great quarterback throwing to great receivers is going to look crummy when quickly pressured, while a mediocre QB throwing to mediocre WRs is going to look wonderful given enough time*.

And it's something we've struggled with recently. Our national sack rankings, going back several years:

2013: 94th
    2012: 39th
    2011: 44th
    2010: 86th
    2009: 13th

It's probably not a coincidence that the two best overall seasons and our two best defensive seasons were 2009 and 2012. Generally speaking we've really struggled getting to the QB recently. It's something that almost certainly needs to change if we're going to see dramatic improvement.

*Rule of thumb does not apply to Nathan Peterman.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    On one of the practice highlight tapes (posted by AZ I think), one of the D highlights was Fowler getting pressure on a knife I believe. T Brown took one step inside to help Garcia but Fowler is just too strong and fast to be out of position on. Fowler ran through his arm and then abused Mack Brown.

With the movement we want in a 3-3-5, I wonder who plays nose. Ivie?
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I dont think sack's are a good stat to use
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,251
    Orr or Bostwick, but in an obvious passing down, could be Bullard or Cummings
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Well, sure, it's less than ideal. If some organization keeps QB hurries on a systematic, nationwide basis, that would be lovely. Still, I'm working off publicly available and easily accessible data, which, in this context, means sacks. Those work as pretty reasonable stand-ins for the larger concept of "pressuring the quarterback," I think, and the rankings I posted don't seem to paint an inaccurate picture of our ability to get pressure on the QB, lo these many years.
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Cumming or Bullard would be my guess. They will figure out who the 4 best pass rushers on the team are and go from there. Powell was one of the top 4 pass rushers on the team last year so it kind of forced us to play a 3 man line to get him on the field early in the year.
  12. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    I'd say Cumming from what we've heard about his first step (with the dropped weight) over the Spring and Fall, but he's also a guy that will be on the field on 1st and 2nd so not sure if they'll want someone fresher for a specialty package. If Bullard is inside who's your DE? Cox? Willis?
  13. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,564
    Interesting that Jeremi Powell - at 6' 215lbs - is one of the pass rushers. I figured he'd be mostly a ST's player.
  14. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    And it's really about "effecting the quarterback". If that results in a sack, great. But forcing an inaccurate throw on third down is pretty much the same thing.

Again, from a numbers standpoint, I'm not sure that anybody on the front four is going to go crazy. But that doesn't mean they aren't doing their jobs. Obviously the fewer guys you bring, the higher the chances are that you won't give up the big play. We play a patient brand of defense. It works as long as you can constantly beat the offensive line with a four-man rush.

As for who will play where on what down, it'll likely be situational.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    You could have Bullard at tackle and cumming or Orr at end if you wanted.

DE Wills DT Bullard DE Fowler LB Ball
    DE Willis DT Bullard then have McCallister and Fowler playing end or LB
    There are so many options I think they are still working through it.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think he will mostly play special teams but Durkin mentioned him as somebody getting a look as a pass rusher. He did it in high school. Off of high school film he projected as a special teams star and situational pass rusher. I thought he would have gained a little more weight by now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    Last year USCe had two great D linemen who had been coached by Lawing during their time there. I'm hoping the coots feel his loss this season more than last. I think his second year here will pay big dividends. He was able to turn USCe's D into a sack machine - of course having Clowney didn't hurt. Our starting DE's should be primed for a great year.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Muschamp said today that we feels good about McCalister being the back up buck. Since spring practice he has been extremely complimentary of Dante Fowler and his ability as a pass rusher. It is pretty obvious he thinks Dante is elite and up there with some of the best he has coached.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,350
    Let's AlexBrown them this year.
  20. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Tee Martin is still being tackled by Alex in his dreams.....nightmares.

In the game against Tenn., Brown had five sacks, a couple other tackles, a pass defended at the line of scrimmage and an interception. One of the best individual defensive games ever by a Gator player.
    • Like Like x 1