1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Boone voters must share lone polling place

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 22, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    The 3/4 mile is effectively meaningless as you correctly point out.

The problem is that they shut down two precincts in a town of over 9,000 voters. Even with three precincts, they were still well below state guidelines of 1,000-2,000 voters per precinct.

There is no honest way to look at that as anything other than an effort to suppress the vote by making it logistically impossible to get all the voters through one precinct.

They'll have long lines that people can't get through. No place to park. And people will go away without voting.

By design.

Local citizens should just put together a big drive to get everyone to cast absentee ballots. IMO.
  2. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    So, they aren't suppressed. They can cast absentee ballots.
    Thanks.
  3. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +708
    First this was about the GOP is suppressing votes of those black colleges in Watauga county, but once we found out that they DON'T HAVE ANY BLACK COLLEGES it became about suppressing the vote in Watagua County. Except for one thing.

Using google- I see that Watauga County voted for Romney- 50.1% to 47.5%- a 2.6% margin He only won NC by 2.2%. So in order for this story to make sense then Republicans would be suppressing votes in a County that is slightly more Republican leaning than the rest of the state. That makes sense.

OR perhaps 996 is searching for something to make him feel morally superior when in fact there is no story outside of some bad polling management.
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    Sure.

But isn't this obviously just a partisan ploy at voter suppression?

Why is that okay?

What would the reaction be in this thread if this had been a Dem controlled state govt shutting down precincts in heavily pub voting locations?
  5. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,158
    would you feel that way if a board dominated by black Democrats closed all the white precincts in town? "Hey, no problem, they can just vote absentee!"
  6. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    They're not closing precincts in all of Watauga County - just the one town that voted for Obama.

7. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,118
    To me, and I think it's a serious stretch, this is more of a matter of convenience for Watauga county voters. With Boone being the county seat, and located virtually in the geographic center of the county, think of ALL the residents of Watauga and not just those that live in the 'city'. The county admin building (the infamous polling place) is located farthest away from the Watauga citizens who live out of town and closer to the county's boundary. It is instead located in the middle of town in the county seat - and rightly so...that's likely where the concentration of voters is highest. Yet you aren't questioning the access difficulties for those that don't live in 'town' who make a pretty decent round-trip haul to vote. Your concern has been about people who are essentially within steps of the polling place.

If the election board decided to move the polling place to some obscure location near the county's boundary, I could more easily see the legitimacy of questioning access.
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    If this was a case of moving a polling place, you'd have a good point. But that's not the issue.

They shut down two polling places, leaving just this one.

That's both less convenient for the people closer to the other two polling places, and logistically far more difficult to process over 9300 voters... when state guidelines are to keep precincts at 1,000 to 2,000 voters.

If people really want to vote, they should be able to work around this (absentee and early voting)... but this is clearly a partisan attempt at voter suppression.
  9. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Going to a place that is 1.3 miles further away is not voter suppression. I can get an iphone but I can't go an extra 1.3 miles to vote? Doesn't pass the sniff test.
  10. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    As long as they can vote absentee still...I wouldn't care. Or, better yet, I just wouldn't be lazy and I'd wait in line...for my turn. Then I would cast my libertarian vote and be on my way.
  11. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Can those Pubs still vote absentee in your hypothetical?
    If yes, then, who gives a crap. Or, as I said above, I would just not be a lazy POC and Id wait in line to perform my civic duty. Gasp.
  12. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    I don't have a problem with many of the measures which are currently causing heads to explode, e.g. ID cards. However, this one seems to be an unvarnished attempt to make it more burdensome for one party's supporters to vote.

That doesn't make it "suppression" or "disenfranchisement" but it's wrong IMO. Partisan concerns shouldn't control (or even influence) the location of polling places.
  13. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    I've been around this forum long enough to know that most people here would be going absolute ape chit if these were Pub polling places being closed down.

If people can vote absentee they have a way around, so probably shouldn't be a huge deal. But isn't absentee voting something that people are also trying to minimize/lock down?

As far as waiting in lines to vote, some people have to work. And many working folks don't get flex time for personal stuff like voting. So, if you have to wait in line three hours to vote, it ain't gonna happen.
  14. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Well, my libertarian ass doesn't care. I will stand in line. Polls are open 14 hours in some places. And, if people are in line, they aren't going to close the doors. If they do in fact close the doors with people in line that haven't voted, well, I will be the first with a pitchfork in my hand. If someone works 9-5...How about they get to the polls at 5:30am or pm?
  15. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It shouldn't. It's a game both sides play. Do I like it? Meh, not really, but there are, as Ive stated, ways around it.
  16. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,118
    After a little more research...

The polling place that remains open in the precinct:
    Watauga County Agricultural Conference Center
    971 West King Street

Polling places in the precinct that closed:
    * Plemmons Center (~ .75 miles from 971 W King Street)

* County Admin Building
    814 West King Street (~ .15 miles from 971 W King Street)

This from the local paper on county-wide turnout in 2012:

And that is county-wide for all 20 precincts. Extrapolating those percentages out for this one precinct we're discussing:

~5766 voters for a major election (assumes 62% turnout with ~9300 registered voters)
    ~3025 will vote early
    ~2133 will vote on election day
    The rest will be mail-in/transfer station votes

They should be able to handle the logistics for this precinct at the Ag Conference Center fairly well.
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,494
    Boone is a small town- this is much ado about nothing
    • Like Like x 1
  18. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown, but in the OP if you read the article you would see that election day turnout at all three precincts was a WHOOPING 10.5% or about 981 voters.

So please drop the logistical nightmare, suppression of votes, or whatever other lame ass comical attack you may want to claim. The facts are that this change will have no affect on voting in Boone. It seems like the best time to go vote would be on election day shorter lines than the early voting!

Seriously though, move along nothing to see here! Just some making a mountain out of a mole hill! :bored:
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,099
    One voting precinct with supposed problems falls under the anecdotal category IMO.
  20. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,118
    Unless you were replying to someone else in the thread, you have epically failed. I was using a sort of worst-case scenario based on county-wide data to make essentially the same point you have. There is no logistical nightmare, even when you use the county-wide data extrapolated.