Boone voters must share lone polling place

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 22, 2013.

1. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    There is a polling location that is a 5 minute walk from my house. It is actually on the same street as my house. The weird thing is that I'm not assigned to that one. I'm assigned to one that is about an hour walk from my house. Of course I drive to it instead of walking but the drive is still longer than my walk would have been if they assigned the closer one. I had no idea they were trying to suppress my vote. I just assumed it was the government making stupid decisions.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

You do know North Carolina GOP also reduced the number of early voting days right?

:sick:
  3. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Post of the day.

Consider yourself SUPPRESSED!!!!
  4. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    9k in single polling place doesn't sound like a ridiculous thing. Maybe if they all showed up, like, at once, but that isn't going to happen. The local Chik-Fil-A to me does like $11-12k in sales daily, just routine, not like *busy* -- what is that, 3-4k people? And a lot more internal work necessary to serve them required than at a polling place?

Yeah, even if there were no early voting, I would think a competent polling place could manage to run 9k in and out during a 12 hour shift. And they will have early voting. Mouthbreathing hysteria over nothing.
  5. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

What you think isn't what the state of North Carolina thinks...
    The state has its own guidelines for "appropriately" run election sites....

The number is something like 1500 - 2000.

So for no apparent benefit like cost, or efficiency, or security they are shrinking.
  6. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Republicans(which I am not one) need to learn how to cheat better. Just get some people...errrr...voters...bus em in...pay em...and get them to vote multiple times like the Democrats do. The democratic playbook is known to most...just go cheat like they do.
    Then, it can just be a free for all, no election days, just election life times.
  7. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,495
    yes, if only you could find any examples of that actually happening.
  8. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Actually they did very close to that in Miami during the Bush "I stole the election with the help of the Supreme Court" campaign.

The bused in guys to harass the ballot counting process...

When Republicans have Lee Atwater and his tactics as their historical legacy .....save the preaching on ethics for someone else.

You can listen to the whole interview here:
    http://www.thenation.com/article/170841/exclusive-lee-atwaters-infamous-1981-interview-southern-strategy?rel=youtube#axzz2chb9qCKW

Exclusive: Lee Atwater’s Infamous 1981 Interview on the Southern Strategy

It has become, for liberals and leftists enraged by the way Republicans never suffer the consequences for turning electoral politics into a cesspool, a kind of smoking gun. The late, legendarily brutal campaign consultant Lee Atwater explains how Republicans can win the vote of racists without sounding racist themselves:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”

Now, the same indefatigable researcher who brought us Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” remarks, James Carter IV, has dug up the entire forty-two-minute interview from which that quote derives. Here, The Nation publishes it in its entirety for the very first time.

The back-story goes like this. In 1981, Atwater, after a decade as South Carolina's most effective Republican operative, was working in Ronald Reagan's White House when he was interviewed by Alexander Lamis, a political scientist at Case Western Reserve University. Lamis published the interview without using Atwater's name in his 1984 book The Two-Party South. Fifteen years later—and eight years after Atwater passed away from cancer—Lamis republished the interview in another book using Atwater’s name. For seven years no one paid much attention. Then the New York Times' Bob Herbert, a bit of an Atwater obsessive, quoted it in an October 6, 2005 column—then five more times over the next four years.

Those words soon became legend—quoted in both screeds (The GOP-Haters Handbook, 2007) and scholarship (Corey Robin's 2011 classic work of political theory, The Reactionary Mind). Google Books records its use in ten books published so far this year alone. Curious about the remarks' context, Carter, who learned Lamis had died in 2012, asked his widow if she would consider releasing the audio of the interview, especially in light of the use of race-baiting dog-whistles (lies about Obama ending work requirements for welfare; "jokes" about his supposed Kenyan provenance) in the Romney presidential campaign. Renée Lamis, an Obama donor, agreed that very same night. For one thing she was “upset,” Carter told me, that “for some time, conservatives believed [her] husband made up the Atwater interview.” For another, she was eager to illustrate that her husband's use of the Atwater quote was scholarly, not political.

So what does the new contextual wrapping teach us? It vindicates Lamis, who indeed comes off as careful and scholarly. And no surprise, it shows Atwater acting yet again in bad faith.

In the lead-up to the infamous remarks, it is fascinating to witness the confidence with which Atwater believes himself to be establishing the racial innocence of latter-day Republican campaigning: “My generation,” he insists, “will be the first generation of Southerners that won’t be prejudiced.” He proceeds to develop the argument that by dropping talk about civil rights gains like the Voting Rights Act and sticking to the now-mainstream tropes of fiscal conservatism and national defense, consultants like him were proving “people in the South are just like any people in the history of the world.”
  9. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2012/11/08/the-end-of-a-long-ugly-road-for-the-gops-southern-strategy/

The end of a long, ugly road for the GOP’s Southern strategy

By Melinda Henneberger, Published: November 8, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Ann Romney said one thing during her husband’s presidential run that no one can dispute: “This is hard,” she said of the slog. (Actually being president is hard, too, as George W. Bush once noted 11 times in a single debate.)

Here’s one campaign call, though, that should never have been a head-scratcher: Running on white resentment is not a winning strategy, and the next Republican who tries it will lose, too.

Lyndon Johnson knew when he pushed through civil rights legislation that the Jim Crow South he’d grown up in would reject the Democratic Party for decades to come as a result. But somewhere, L.B.J. is smiling today, because the G.O.P.’s Southern strategy to capitalize on racial animus has now worked so completely that it’s turned back to bite Republicans, with Romney overwhelmingly losing the growing share of America’s minority voters. President Obama captured 93 percent of the African-American vote and 71 percent of the Latino vote.

Turns out, not even competing for their support was a mistake. And here’s how to blow more than a billion dollars and wind up right back where you started: Carefully alienate Latinos with talk of “self-deportation” and promises to veto the DREAM act. Vow that, if elected, you will cancel a widely celebrated reprieve from deportation for some young immigrants. Oh – and this is important — call those in this country without papers “illegals” every chance you get. Then, just sit back and hope no one who finds that insulting turns out to vote.

Keeping African-Americans out of the tent should be a snap at this point, but Romney certainly took nothing for granted in that regard, either. To review, he joked about Obama’s birth certificate and pitched to the angry white guy vote with a wildly inaccurate ad about how the president had supposedly “gutted” welfare work requirements. (In fact, not a single waiver has been granted, though the Obama administration did invite applications for waivers.)

Late in the campaign, Romney surrogate John Sununu stated his startling belief that Colin Powell’s endorsement of the president was a case of ring-knocking within the black brotherhood. And behind closed doors, the candidate himself told donors he’d written off nearly half of America from the start — incorrectly assuming that those who did not support him weren’t interested in his tax plan because they don’t pay any.

Speaking with reporters in the final hours of the campaign, Romney either developed never-before-seen acting skills or truly believed he was on the glidepath to victory; inside the Fox News bubble, perhaps no other outcome seemed possible.
  10. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    So the idea is that a government site that is basically responsible for handing out and collecting back the same piece of paper throughout the day with adequate pens and nobody stealing anything, can only function at like a third of the volume of a fast food restaurant?
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,864
    Walking 17 minutes is no big deal.

But this is obviously just a cynical ploy to make it harder for people in this precinct to vote.

Which is not something to celebrate.
  12. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,590
    http://ncvoterinfo.org/?page_id=8

My goodness - that sounds outrageous and horrendous and other words you would probably use.

The horror!
  13. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,414
    Did you miss the whole to-do about how neither of those things are true moving forward because of the bill last week? Unless the government has only eliminated these polling places retroactively, those quotes would be completely and totally irrelevant.
  14. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    You are right.
    Signed
    Any democratic ohio poll worker
    • Like Like x 1
  15. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,590
    And, if you chart the distance on google earth from the Plemmens Center on campus to the polling place, it's a little less than 3/4 of a mile.

The horror!!!
  16. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,590
    This is the information on the web for 2013, Ben. I understand the ID provision takes effect in 2016. And while the number of early voting days will be reduced from 17 to 10, the law requires early voting to consist of the same number of hours as was available before the law. Loosely translated - polls are open for fewer days, but longer hours each day. And/or the counties will make more polling places available during early voting.

There should be plenty of time between now and 2016, when the law takes effect, to get a valid ID. I have no problem at all with the ID requirement, and especially with North Carolina since they are giving people over a year to prepare.
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,414
    The only elections in NC in 2013 are municipal elections. The provision that would actually be relevant to ease of getting to a polling place, the change in early voting, has an effective date of January 1, 2014. It will be in effect before the next election that anyone actually cares about occurs.
  18. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,590
    And, as it relates to the story at hand in the OP, the polling place (according to google maps) is a little less than 3/4 of a mile from the Plemmens Center on campus.

Why didn't you address the rest of the issue, Ben? Early voting under the new law will require the same number of hours as was available prior, which means the polls will be open longer during the early voting days, and/or there will be additional polling places available for early voting.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +793
    Any of you liberals ever BEEN TO BOONE, NC? I have. If you are driving and you blink you will pass right through it. Pretty country though.
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Exactly! now the wussies on the Left in N.C. want curbside voting for everyone.

I think all states should put an end to early voting and limit the time for registering to vote. Make it two months away from election day to keep the voter fraud to a minimum.
    • Like Like x 1