Boone voters must share lone polling place

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 22, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Doesn't save money
    Is more inefficient
    Targets black colleges to make voting more difficult

And people wonder why these voting law changes are questioned as being racially biased?

How does one explain this story as being about voter fraud and NOT voter supression?

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Downsizing-of-Wataugo-Co-voting-centers-could-be-problematic-220431441.html

Boone voters must share lone polling place

by JEREMY MARKOVICH / NBC Charlotte

Posted on August 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    Updated Tuesday, Aug 20 at 10:24 PM

BOONE, N.C. – Last year, Emily Oswalt voted on campus at Appalachian State University. If she votes in the next election, she’s going to have to take a longer walk.

At their August 12 meeting, the Watauga County Board of Elections, made up of two Republicans and one Democrat, voted to combine Boone’s three precincts into one. This means the polling place at the Plemmons Student Union on campus will no longer be used for voting of any kind. Starting in November, the only polling place open in Boone will be at the Watauga County Agricultural Center on the town’s west side.

When Oswalt was asked for directions, she said, “I have absolutely no idea where that is.”

The move makes it harder for students to vote. In the video above, NBC Charlotte walked from the student union to the new polling place. It took 17 minutes. Part of Poplar Grove Road, which is one way the Watauga County Elections director recommends getting from campus to the polling place, has no sidewalks.

The precinct now has 9,340 active and inactive voters in it. That makes it, according to Democracy North Carolina, the third largest precinct in the state. The polling place has 28 parking spaces.

“I would have to make time for it. I wouldn’t be casually going,” said Oswalt, an ASU senior from Matthews. “At the Union, you’re here.”

Republicans were entitled to a two person majority on the board after Republican Pat McCrory became governor. Luke Eggers, brother of former elections board member and current Watauga County Attorney Stacy ‘Four’ Eggers, was appointed to the board on Wednesday, August 7. On August 8, he was sworn in. The next day, he announced a specially called meeting to change several precincts and early voting locations in Watauga County. At that August 12 meeting, fellow Republican Bill Aceto voted him chairman. The meeting, which was attended by dozens of people who frequently interrupted the board, was taped by Democratic activists in Boone. It also got attention from national media, including MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.
  2. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    9,000+ voters for abuilding that has 28 parking spots and is on a road without sidewalks???

Voter suppression.
  3. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Wow. A person is quoted as saying "I would have to make time for it"....
    Voter suppression or crybaby bitching?
    I'll go with the latter.
  4. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    The 9,000 voters serviced by that one proposed voting place far exceeds North Carolina's own elction place guidelines.

North Carolina finds a polling place that attempts to service over 2-3,000 as being inefficient and more suspect to fraud.

Crybaby bitchin' that these voting place reductions have only been proposed on the campuses of black colleges?

(Winston-Salem St., Apalachia St)

You do realize some people have jobs that don't allow them the time to vote on election day.

Should they be disenfranchised because of their vocation?
    And the effort of the GOP to reduce early voting and places to vote?

Is that OK with you?
  5. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Perfectly fine with me.
    No one said voting should be easy.
  6. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    You would have been in favor of polling taxes and arbitrary literacy exams also.
    :roll:

Love those who think the exercise of a constitutional right shouldn't be "easy'....

Feel that way about your 2nd amendment rights and gun ownership?

Why shouldn't we make exercising that right more difficult also using your "logic"?

Being in favor of changes that have no expressed benefit but impair the ability of eligible voters to vote is anti-American.

If you're in favor of that...then that's what you are...
  7. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Have to love the emotion of a liberal....
  8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +558
    Boone, NC is the whitest town I have ever visited. I go skiing there most every year and you just don't see blacks in that town.

Appalachian State is not a black college. Good grief!!
  9. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Have to love the obtuseness of anyone who believes that exercising your voting rights should be made more "difficult" for some...
  10. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Sorry.
    Meant Elizabeth St. not App St.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/175837/north-carolina-republicans-escalate-attack-student-voting#axzz2chb9qCKW

Hours after passing the country’s worst voter suppression law, North Carolina Republicans escalated their attempts to prevent students from participating in the political process.

• The GOP-controlled board of elections in Pasquotank County voted to disqualify Montravias King, a senior at historically black Elizabeth City State University, from running for city council, claiming King couldn’t use his student address to establish residency, even though he’s been registered to vote there since 2009. “The head of the county’s Republican Party said he plans to challenge the voter registrations of more students at the historically black university ahead of upcoming elections,” the AP reported.

• The GOP chair of the Forsyth County Board of Elections is moving to shut down an early voting site at historically black Winston-Salem State University because he claims students were offered extra credit in class for voting there. “He offered no proof such irregularities had occurred,” the Raleigh News and Observer noted.

• The GOP-controlled Watauga County Board of Elections in Boone, North Carolina, voted along party lines to close an early voting and general election polling place at Appalachian State University. Instead, the county limited early voting to one site in Boone and created the state’s third-largest voting precinct, with 9,300 voters at a precinct designed for 1,500, with only thirty-five parking places. It’s inaccessible by public transportation and over a mile from campus along a 45 mph road with no sidewalk. “I feel like the people (students) who really care might come all the way out here to vote,” said Ashley Blevins, a junior at Appalachian State, “but I know a lot of people who are like, ‘eh, it’s too far—I don’t think I’m going to walk that far,’ because they don’t really have another way of getting here.”
  11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +558
    Your entire article in the OP says Boone, NC and App State.

My question is why are students, who are not residents, voting at election sites in Boone?

As far as NC passing the nation's most restrictive voting laws, that is sheer drama on the liberals parts. What is getting passed here is what the citizens of this state want. After YEARS of democrat scandals in Raleigh, residents have had enough.

As far as not walking a mile to vote, give me a break. The campus at Boone is not exactly small. Parking sucks in the entire town. 15 minutes to walk a mile to vote is suppose to be some sort of problem???
  12. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    This is such a non-issue. Unless, of course, someone wants to find something to bitch about.
  13. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    Given that the supervisor of elections said the move wouldn't make her job easier or more efficient, it does seem like the only reason for doing it is to make it a little harder for college students to vote.
  14. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    I love how democrats always think blacks ate either too lazy or too stupid to vote like everyone else. That is the biggest difference between the parties to me. I think everyone is on equal footing and will do what they want to do.
  15. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    "The move makes it harder for students to vote. In the video above, NBC Charlotte walked from the student union to the new polling place. It took 17 minutes."

Is it unusual to have a polling location that would take 17 minutes to walk to? It would take me a lot longer than 17 minutes to walk to my polling location. I also have to make time for it because I work full time. If anything, the current system makes it hardest on people who work full time in non-government jobs but that group is the one that complains the least about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    My last polling place in Florida would have taken about 25 minutes to walk to. My current one here in Illinois is about 7 minutes. When I lived in Knoxville, it would have been about a 35 minute walk.
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    I don't think a 17 minute walk is unreasonable. Although recommending that students walk on a road with no sidewalks is a bit weird. But, again, since it doesn't help the office of elections, what's the point of closing the campus polling station if not simply to make it a little harder for college students to vote?
    And having a precinct with more than 9,000 voters with 28 parking places ... is that a good idea?
  18. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    I'm not positive, but I think my polling place has fewer parking spots than that. And, it can be very crowded - especially if you wait until the last afternoon, of the last day, to vote. I've driven by before and kept on going to try another day.

These people can do what a lot of other people do - vote early, or use absentee ballots.

Most folks have no problem walking to, or making time for a ball game or a concert.

You're making this into something it isn't by grossly exaggerting a scenario that plays out in countless other precincts around the country in all kinds of neighborhoods.
  19. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    Walking? Are you kidding? My polling place is a 15 minute drive and I don't live in the boondocks!

Take a bus, people. Get a ride. Absentee vote then.

BTW we had a ton of redistricting up here making for bigger "liberal" blocks - no one was screaming racism or how unfair it was going to be to go to another polling place, etc. I can't walk there, I have kids, I have a job, but I MAKE THE TIME. Go before work then. Go between classes (sure they have bus stops). I mean, seriously, it's not that hard.

Unless the goal is to just complain about it. In which case go ahead.
  20. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,245
    If I had to walk to my polling place it would take me close to an hour considering my lung issues. Healthy, it would take me a good 20+ minutes. I am a white person who has to vote in a predominately black neighborhood whereas the neighborhood I live in is mixed. I don't like it since they moved it from a much closer place but I can live with it.