1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Bonner Runs the Offense

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Mar 6, 2014.

1. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    I'm always happy to see the Heat lose, regardless of who beats them.
  2. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Exactly...it's just that...opinion. But most sportswriters consider Parker to be Top 5. Just sayin'...
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I watch maybe 8 NBA games a year and most unintentionally. I don't know how you couldn't at least recognize the guy.
  4. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Why do you even care?
  5. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Fair enough. He's good I just don't like the guy is all. :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    I don't like him so I want to make sure he doesn't get too much credit. Plus I enjoy a good argument and I finished watching all of game of thrones, so I had to fill the time with something.
  7. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Why do you even care?
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    It's extremely important to me.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  9. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    amazing, a 15 second joke video turns into a ridiculous argument
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Aw man don't get your panties in a wad I was just surprised, he's a fairly ubiquitous sports star.
  11. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    So the truth comes out. I mean, the guy was literally a top 3 MVP candidate last year before missing some games at the end of the season, then leads his team to what is pretty much an NBA championship, barring the biggest collapse of all time. He's not over the hill by any means, and he shoots an unbelievable % for a guy his size. Most the guys you listed are putting up more points, but shooting 42%. Chris Paul is probably the only guy you can say is definitively better.
  12. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    I agree he's a good player, but I really believe those 5 guys (6 counting Rose) are better than him. I think most people would agree with me. Wall has come on so strong this year that he's definitely a top-3 PG this year and going forward. Nobody would take Parker over Chris Paul. Same with Kyrie Irving. Lillard is young but he's quickly become one of the best in the Western Conference and is the main reason Portland is doing so well this year. Westbrook doesn't shoot as high a percentage as Parker, but he has a different game. All those guys can create their own shots better than Parker because they are more athletic. Paul shoots and passes better too.

And while he's crucial to San Antonio's success, I'd say he's less important than Duncan and Popovich. I certainly wouldn't say that Parker led them to that title. What's a top-3 MVP candidate? 3rd was the absolute best he could have possibly hoped to have finished last year. And while he's not over-the-hill, he's 31, and his athleticism has never been all-world.

I guess you just think he's better than I do. Spurs fan? We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this one. Fun conversation, though.
  13. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I can see where you're coming from. Not a Spurs fan, in fact I hated them years ago, but have come to respect Parker and Duncan a lot. Some guys like Westbrook, it's hard for me to even conceptualize them as a PG. He's a SG who they let bring the ball up the court. I still feel Parker could put up big numbers if he was depended on like guys like Irving and John Wall are, but he just fits in the Spurs system and plays his part.
  14. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Good point about Parker's numbers being limited by the system. Goes along with what you said about his shooting percentage; if he shot more he'd probably score more. By the same token, though, his percentage would probably drop a bit because he would likely be taking more shots that he's passing up now for a reason. My top three PGs right now are Paul, Wall, and Irving. Rose is my favorite player but he can't stay on the court. I can't stand Westbrook. Or Parker, but I'll admit he's a very good point guard.
  15. gatordd

gatordd Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    You were so wrong then, and so wrong now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,966
    FWIW I think you might be over valuing athleticism and under valuing what a PG is supposed to do - make the whole team efficient getting the ball in the hoop.

Westbrook is a great example. He's a human highlight reel but he ain't even the best PG on his own team (Durant is), and the Thunder will never be champions until he learns its a team game. I blame Brooks for not forcing the issue, but Westbrook is old enough to get it by now.

Aside from that Parker still gets his own shots all the time. He just does it within the offense, while helping create space with his drives and getting the ball where it needs to go.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Agree. That's all on the coach to put the players into their correct positions. Westbrook's numbers are equal to Wade's except Wade has a higher eFG% because he has a better shot selection. If Westbrook had a coach to reign that in, he'd be tearing up the league. He just put up 27/7/8 stats in the playoffs coming off 3 knee surgeries. 8 assists per game is top 10 for PG's in the NBA. the PG is ultimately a play maker and that's what he does.

Disregard contracts and such, if tasked to pick a PG for my team right now, I'd go CP3 first, Westbrook 2nd, Curry 3rd and Parker 4th. No other PG in the league has shown they are better than him.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. seabudgator

seabudgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    Read this thread this afternoon, and now watching Parker get his shot at will while leading his aging team to another NBA championship. Point guard is about setting up your offense, getting teammates going, running the offense throw changes in defenses, organizing and setting the point on defense and only then about scoring. I'd take Parker as my PG against just about anybody else (though his age would be a concern for future years obviously).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,290
    Notice how quickly the French raise their hands to give up?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. FranceGator

FranceGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +324
    Joakim Noah and Will Yugette got a big kick out of that one.