Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bodycam Footage of Florida Deputy Shooting Air Force Airman Released

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, May 10, 2024.

1. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    IMO, the officer's mind was predisposed to engage with someone who purportedly "Yelled and...and slapped a woman." Now, the neighbor seemed inconsistent about who it was and where the sound was coming from - but eventually was very clear about it being 1401. That's something to be resolved later.

Bottom line - the man answering the door did nothing illegal and was killed. I don't see any way, shape or form where that is acceptable.
    The cop was amped up - the knock and his tone were very strong, aggressive and he had his "game on." Certainly police need to be alert but it appears to me (my POV) that this guy was over zealous and it cost someone's life. RIP Airman.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    All that’s correct and pretty much stating the obvious IMO.

Now the follow up, should that officer be allowed to go on being a cop? The answer to that should also be obvious. At least the purely “should he be a cop” aspect to the question. Criminal charges are, of course, a different matter.

3. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I wouldn't want him on the force patrolling my neighborhood.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Some earlier video and information available. The deputy first responded to the leasing office. The call went out from his dispatch as "Don't have any further than a male and a female. It's fourth party information from the front desk at the leasing office." (emphasis added.) The woman the deputy spoke with, possibly an apartment complex employee, stated there was an altercation at the apartment two weeks before, but she did not know which apartment. She then provided the apartment number the deputy responded to without any indication where she suddenly came upon that information.

This video quality is extremely clear. The victim's pistol was at his side pointed straight down when the deputy began firing. There was never an attempt to raise it.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/11/us/v...n-shot-police-bodycam-valencia-pkg-foa-digvid

The deputy has just begun firing his weapon in this still. That is the deputy's arm at the top of the frame.

If you enlarge the photo, you can see the trigger of the victim's pistol indicating his finger was elsewhere.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Nuclear weapons don't kill people.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    It is like the deputy ambushed him. As soon as he opened the door the deputy started shooting him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Totality of circumstances. IMO, not sufficient to warrant deadly force. My understanding of the Graham Factors is that the appropriate level of force was met with a handgun being involved (handgun vs handgun), but there was no resisting element present. He got immediately shot, no opportunity to resist. The is no scale to balance of force to resistance.. there was no resistance. IMO, he only heard one person in the apartment. I doubt he heard the speakerphone through the walls and door. Also, this is close to an anonymous tip. The airman that opened the door committed no crime and now he's dead. I don't think there are enough exigent circumstances for him to even be required to open the door/cop able to enter without a warrant. Especially when only one voice was present on scene. No immediate threat to life or safety. The taxpayers are about to open up the checkbook. In the totality of the circumstances, bad shoot.

Reason #6,298,478 to not talk to the police or open your door without a warrant.

• Like Like x 4
  8. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    I truly hate to say it, but it sure looks like he immediately made up his mind what he was going to do, likely as soon as he saw the pistol, and nothing at that point was going to stop it. I can't call it an ambush, though, I think he zoned in on the pistol and that was that.

9. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't believe any of the Graham Factors would be resolved in favor of the deputy.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As a homeowner living on 7 acres with no chance any neighbor would even notice what's going on, I still don't answer my door during the day with a firearm. At night, I do if I'm not expecting anyone. But that's because I don't get unexpected visitors ever unless it's an official or someone who shouldn't be knocking on my door. This man lived in an apartment with many civilians. He was expecting trouble, otherwise why pull your pistol?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The most outrageous use of deadly force in my recent memory. I hope they’re charged with murder, but I’m not holding my breath:
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/12/us/win-rozario-nypd-killing?cid=ios_app
    “ Please don’t shoot,” Notan Eva Costa, a 48-year-old Bangladeshi immigrant living in Queens, begged the two New York City police officers who entered her home after her teenage son called 911.

“Lying on the floor, the mother of two stretched her hand out to the officers, terror and distress audible in her voice.

“It was too late. One of the police officers fired his gun at least four times, fatally wounding 19-year-old Win Rozario. Less than two minutes had passed since police entered the family’s home.”

The details later in the article get worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    The 2A? Potential self defense? I live in a very nice subdivision, but anytime someone rings my doorbell at night when I'm not expecting anyone, I have a gun with me. I normally don't have it in my hand, but it's very close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How about not opening the door? How about having a doorbell camera so you can verify who it is? I don’t know how we got to the point were people think opening a door holding a gun is a totally reasonable thing. We are truly fricked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    It’s all just so sad that nobody feels safe enough to answer their door without a gun.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Same reason why when my license plates are run it comes back confidential address.

16. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    In this particular case, was the Airman's conduct unreasonable? Given the information available to the officer, was it reasonable for him to approach the apartment without backup and with his weapon drawn?

• Like Like x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I do. Don't even have a gun. Don't have a camera either.

18. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    (Sorry to hijack...)

Police are definitely a protected class by the folks that run this board. My thread about lawsuits and coverups is locked. I'm sure heckler's veto by bootlickers helped get it locked. I have no where to post this. It's not worthy of it's own thread, so here it is. Unlock the other thread and I'll move it there.

New lawsuit:

This shows how cruel police can be, while other cops sit around and watch it happen. They held this lady down in a fire ant bed while they bit/stung her in the face over and over and over as she begged to get removed from the fire ants. She has an estimated 300 bites to her body.

Video:

Texas woman sues city over dozens of fire ant bites while cuffed | khou.com

SANTA FE, Texas — A woman left covered in bug bites after she says police handcuffed her and held her down in a bed of fire ants has filed a lawsuit against the City of Santa Fe.

"Taylor Rogers was stopped by Santa Fe police for no reason, thrown on the ground right into a bed of fire ants in the middle of the day and then held there while screaming," civil rights attorney Randall Kallinen said during a news conference on Saturday.

“Is it torture? Yeah that’s a strong word but I call it torture,” Kallinen said. "When the police hold you down in a fire ant bed and you’re saying fire ants and screaming, and they keep you there, what is that?"

Rogers said the whole thing happened in front of her 9-year-old son who was in the back seat of her vehicle.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    People be living in gated communities and acting like The Purge movies are happening right outside.

20. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Some people's career paths put them in a place where enhanced security concerns are appropriate. Some people are also more aware of things that are happening in their locale than others. Not everything makes the news/newspapers/YouTube.

• Like Like x 1