Body Beast

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by TheGator, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +892
    I understand. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And it's not that I dislike the video, or the program. Clearly it is getting results for people. It's just a burden I bear, being a fitness trainer. I tend to view programs as overly complicated. :wink:
  2. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,077
    Ever thought about creating your own vids? Not sure you look as good as Tony Horton, but I do believe there is still a huge market out there. If anything, Beach Body created it and it is big enough for someone else. I think there are plenty of p90x grads looking for and desperately wanting the next best thing.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    Nope, I don't look like Tony Horton. I look more like a 56-year old long distance runner + 5 lbs. of muscle. So, I couldn't sell my body. :wink:

But you're right, there is a huge market for vids. My thing is that my approach does not actually center on workouts as much as sustainable solutions to being overweight and such. Typically, I have my clients doing no more than three exercises. So, it's hard to imagine needing a DVD for that. Based on my approach, it would be mostly me talking.
  4. mwilley

mwilley New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I tend to agree. There is no secret to building muscle mass. It comes down to too simple principles. Eat a lot and lift a lot of heavy weights.

The magic number is 60-80 percent of your one rep max. This is usually around 6-10 reps to failure. This specifically recruits your type 2a and 2x muscle fibers and induces muscle hypertrophy through protein synthesis and myonuclear addition. It also induces a fiber type transition in which your existing 2x fibers become 2a fibers, leading to not only bigger, but more efficient muscles.

Of course if you work out enough, you might be wondering why Herschal Walker can do body weight excercise and get huge, and I do biweekly 400 pound deadlifts and see only slight gains? The obvious answer would be genetics, which in fact has been demonstrated. Some people are more prone to undergo satellite cell mediated myonuclear addition in response to resistant training then others. To my knowledge, the specific genes involved in this are still being deliniated.

At the end of the day, the best workout is the one you can do consistently. If the videos help you stay consistent, then go for it. But I guarantee Dillman is not doing any body beast work outs. They are doing heavy olympic lifts and eating lots of carbs and protein.

If your really interested:
    Adams, Gregory and Bamman, Marcus. “The Characterization and Regulation of Mechanical Loading Induced Compensatory Muscle Hypertropy.” Comprehensive Physiology.
  5. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,077
    I would really love to see how Dillman plans the workouts. I am pretty sure the workouts are geared for each position. I think it is interesting some question how Body Beast and similar programs can advertise putting on 10-20lbs in 90 days, but look how much weight the players put on in the offseason. Much more than 20lbs in some cases. Assuming it is natural, I can't imagine the workouts are more intense than Body Beast. Although, they maybe working out twice a day and staying in the gym longer. However, they would still need rest at some point. The muscles would get fatigued.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    Here's a little secret: when you see even young athletes putting on 20-30 lbs. offseason ... a pretty good chunk of that is fat, even after accounting for juvenile muscle growth.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    Here is part of an article from Lyle McDonald who can explain why 20 pounds in 90 days is ridiculous better than I can.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    Add two things: (1) 1/2 pound a week is outstanding and (2) most will not be able to sustain that for more than a few months, let alone a year.

What adults don't get: 10 pounds of new muscle, provided that you remained lean, would make an INCREDIBLE difference in the way you look.

Think about it: those spectacular P90X 'after pics', they've probably actually gained little if any new muscle.
  9. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,077
    Well here is the catch. Part of the Body Beast workouts is taking the Supplements. Protein, recovery drink, creatine, and a supplement called Super Suma.

To me, the Super Suma is the problem. Beach Body claims it is natural and says it comes from the Suma root. Interesting enough the NFL and NCAA have banned the substance because it has similar qualities as steroids.

I have not ordered it and refuse to, because I am not sure what to think of it.

There is where you might be getting the 20lbs of muscle claims that sounds insane.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    If Suma was that effective and legal like it appears to be every gym rat would be talking about it. No supplement short of real anabolic steroids is going to have that big of an effect on the bodies ability to gain significant amounts of muscle in a small amount of time. The claims are insane and since there is no necessity to prove that claim to be true the program can use it. I am sure there are even some great before and after pics of guys making these claims. They are most likely faking the photos or on juice or both.

If you don't believe me check out the documentary bigger, stronger, faster or the youtube videos of Furious Pete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M957dACQyfU

The claims are basically always a lie. Sure people can still get results and get a good workout from just about any program but the marketing in the industry is based on 90% or more deception.