Bobby Petrino trainwreck going on at Louisville...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Aug 19, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Are you saying it wouldn't be a Smart move? ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,777
    That's a no brainier, I like sumlin a lot but I ain't trading muschamp.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. skink

skink Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +708
    Good points. But Charlie Strong still has something to prove at this level, and w/o Bridgewater.

Franklin did some good stuff but he's no proven entity either. Plus, he's an asshole.

Go Gators
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Strong proved more at Louisville than Meyer did at Utah or peterson at Boise State. The AAC is not quite a P5 conference, but it isn;t the WAC or MWC, either.
  5. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Pete Carroll were considered creeps too. Funny how winners get hated on while everyone likes the Ron Zooks of the world. I bet UGA fans love Champ. Boohoo Petrino left teams and players. So what. He did what everyone else in the world would do... Do what you think is best for you. He committed no crime.

The hypocrisy of fans is hilarious. Gator fans loved UM when he was HC. Now he's a scumbag to most. Cam Newton was a good guy as long as he was on the team. Fans turned a blind eye as we had arrests after arrests, excuse after excuse why GPD was the problem.

Football coaches and athletes are not role models. If you are expecting them to be the moral compass' of your family, you're in for a huge disappointment. Coaches are hired to win games and play within the rules. I don't expect them to raise my kids. Winning is not everything to me in life BUT it is everything to me in my football. Why would I have a problem with Petrino around my kids? WTH? When did he become a kid murderer?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    If I could give you more than one "winner" medal, I would! Nailed it! The sanctimony is getting extreme...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    So Mac and Worm get to tell other folks how to think? It is sanctimonious to say you would rather not have a coach of KNOWN moral turpitude at worst, to at least sleazy at best, regardless of their ability to win? really?

I have plenty of women that work for me, never hit on them once. Not one of them. Oh, you were talking about getting a job offer from another source? I don't really hold that completely against him. Just would be concerning to have a coach that does not show the class of Billy Donovan, but not all do.

You are both making an illogical jump. By saying things like "Fans turned a blind eye" and "Gator fans loved UM when he was HC. Now he's a scumbag to most." That is meaningless and untrue. Not ALL Fans turned a blind eye, not all fans liked Urban and I never liked Urban personally. But I also don't think he is a scumbag. Narcissistic? Yes. Not scum. Because SOME fans, heck because even MOST fans felt a certain way, it does not mean ALL did.

The prior opinions of Gator fans in no way preclude me from saying if Petrino is hired as coach I would pretty much lose interest in UF football until he is gone. I think he is a weasel. No one is a moral compass to my family except for me and my wife and our parents. That has nothing to do with it.
    Are you saying those of that think Petrino is sleazy and would not want him at UF think the UF coach should raise our kids?

yep, there is indeed some sanctimony on the thread, but it ain't necessarily the people saying that Petrino is a weasel.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    No Vet, we are not telling people how to think? We are simply voicing dissent to their thought processes. Last I checked, this IS a message board, and we are allowed to do that.

Funny, but nowhere in our posts stated that ALL Gator fans behave the same way. To inply that is dishonest.

Apparently, some here do. Certainly not ALL, or even MOST.

But some DO.

Some Gator fans cursed Spurrier for leaving in 2002 and cursed him again for going to USCe in 2005. Some Gator fans booed Leak PERSONALLY in that Kentucky game. SOME fans applauded in 2000 when Jesse Palmer got hurt against Miss State so that Rex could play (I saw that personally, so it isn't a lie). Some of our fans cheered Gator losses during the Zook Era and Muschamp Era last year, hoping that makes it one step closer to their firing.

Do they represent the Gator Nation at large. HELL NO! But do they exist?

Yes. they do.

Uh-huh. I don't criticize our players and coaches. They are as Gator (if not moreso ) than I, an alum and 50-year fan.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    At the risk of being labelled sanctimonious, let me make something perfectly clear... Petrino has demonstrated repeatedly that he is a shitbag of a human being with no moral compass and no sense of accountability.

Like with Mr Crablegs at SOW, what you actually know about is just the tip of the iceberg with people like that.

I certainly wouldn't want him as our HBC... a position that in this day and age is the most visible representative the university has, as well as being a leader of over 100 young men.

For those that don't care one way or another, there's an old saying... you lay with dogs, you get fleas.

Who you associate with says something about you. Who you actively choose as leader, even more.

/Off sanctimonious soap box.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    I get what you're saying and I don't disagree with it, but do you seriously think that what happened with Aaron Hernandez reflects on you personally as a Gator? I know fans from other schools would claim it does but I don't feel that way, nor do I care what other people think.

What Aaron Hernandez did reflects on him and only him. Same with Cam Newton and Urban Meyer.

Our coaches knew AH was hanging out with gang members and getting in trouble in CT when he was being recruited. They also knew about Harvin's issues when he was being recruited. And then there was Chris Martin, who UF signed despite his rumored gang history. As I recall, part of the reason for him coming to UF from California was rumored to be that there were gang members out to get him. Came to UF, got kicked off, went to JUCU and then transferred to Kansas and was arrested last year for robbery.

And lets go back to 1979, when UF hired Charlie Pell. I loved Pell and I don't think he gets nearly the credit he deserves for where the Gator program is today. But lets face it, he was a cheater at Clemson and everyone knew it. And UF knew it when they hired him and they basically hired him to do at UF what he did at Clemson, which was make UF an elite college football power. And he did it like a champ.

I don't remember any Gator fans complaining and I don't think that Pell's "character" reflected on us as Gators.

I know Pell is nothing like Petrino, but I don't think our beloved Gator program, or the people running it, should be so quickly assumed to be above doing whatever it takes to be at the top again.
  11. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    ^^ Charlie Pell was one of the most influential coaches in football. I'd put him up morally against most any other coach. He told you exactly how it was and never felt the need to lie to impress or motivate you. Pell was a great coach that got caught in the crosshairs of the hypocritical NCAA. We weren't doing anything that other schools weren't doing. Most of the violations were petty and he took the fall while the NCAA took a blind eye to other schools like Miami and FSU that took advantage of our demise. The university conveniently swept him and Galen Hall under the rug, while they really helped put UF on the map. Now, I could tell you about a few other Gator coaches that weren't so good characters.

Anyway, back to Petrino. He hasn't had any recruiting violations that I'm aware of. Many people would say that that is much more important than being just a good guy. We should be clamoring for winners. Last year set our program back 35 years. Do you really want another year of losing to Vandy and GaSouthern all in the name of good character? I can't think of too many coaches out there that could turn our Gators around like Petrino. Why not entertain the thought if things continue to go south? Name me a better alternative? Plus, aren't southerners all about forgiveness and redemption? I guess not.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I think if we intentionally, knowingly bring a guy like Aaron Hernandez into the program, and he gets caught committing some violent crime or murder that we knew full well we should expect, that it clearly reflects on the university, and by extension it impacts all of us.

Just like Winston's status impacts FSU even if they don't seem to recognize it. The #AskJameis fiasco was exceptionally clear feedback on that point. And didn't even really hit home the rape issue as well as it could have, because the SAO gave that issue some plausible deniability.

WRT Pell, he did a great job building the program and he was "just doing what everybody else was doing". At least in the southeast. But he got caught and that most certainly reflected on all of us. We were widely known as an exceptionally dirty program on near death penalty status. People across the country assumed we were worse than most everybody else, when that was far from the truth.

After decades of running clean programs, I think we're well past that now, both from the external perception standpoint, and from the internal knowledge of knowing that we can produce top flight programs in any sport we choose to, without cheating.
  13. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    How arrogant.
    Then there is no hypocrisy and no hilarity and nothing for you to agree with on his post. There is an implication that most folks felt one way, what in Sam Hill does that have to do with some on here that said they would not want Petrino? Make that logical jump for me please. Why does my thought process of thinking Petrino is sleazy have a dang thing to do with what other Gator fans did and said? Clapping for injuries, cheering for losses has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on those on this thread that opined that Petrino is a schmuck and would never want him as a coach. Unless you saw THOSE people clapping and cheering.

He clearly stated that he thought it was hilarious that people were saying negative things about Petrino and that doing so was hypocritical and you agreed with his post. Unless you guys are using different defintions of hypocrisy and hilarity, if so, I apologize for my error.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    For one, did you not see what happened last year from an injury and attrition standpoint? Nobody coaches a winning team in a situation like that.

And the guy you're talking about has abandoned ship in far calmer waters. What on earth would make you think he wouldn't disappear in the middle of the season and go on a three week bender with the first coed he could convince to hop on his bike with him?

I patently reject the idea that we have to hire shitbags to win. We've proven otherwise repeatedly.

And Muschamp is going to prove it again.
  15. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    So, those are mutually exclusive? We must chose between winning and character? You ask for more alternatives, but actually, Petrino will not be an alternative next year either due to his purported buyout. Guess we need to look for other scumbags. :)
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Pot, meet kettle.

Spare me. Since I joined these boards in the late 1990s, I could exhaust the bandwidth with examples of hypocrisy and double standards by posters on this board, castigating some while excusing others because "of all they did for us." There is no consistency on this board (or any message board) whatsoever. Don't lecture me on hypocrisy.

Became several of the same folks who slam Petrino for his numerous personal failings have no problem defending Meyer for his failings, Spurrier for HIS failings, etc. Same goes with players. People have their heroes and goats and have absolutely NO problem castigating one while excusing the same actions of others.

None at all. I agree with you about Petrino. He, like many of our former coaches, are douches. The hypocrisy comes from those who slam one while defending the others to the death. Ditto with our players. If they were "great Gators," we didn't care WHAT they did off the field, whether it was snorting dunes of blow in the back room of the Porpoise, to hanging out around the clubs after 0200, to getting into fights with bouncers, threatening girlfriends with texts, or throwing sandwiches at restaurant employees.

All was OK as long as they were "great Gators."

I did see them, and read their posts on this board.

Hilarity was an ill-chosen word perhaps. I prefer to think of it as sad and outrageous, as I do every time I see "Gators" throwing a player or coach under the bus for failing to achieve OUR lofty standards.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    I agree with you about Muschamp and Petrino (if he came, I'd hold my nose and pray he recovered from being a douchebag), but I also understand Mac's sentiment. Great coaches are rarely choirboys. Pell wasn't. Spurrier wasn't. Meyer wasn't.

And Petrino certainly isn't.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    Hyperbole much? :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I was being very kind. Where would you put last year? The last time we lost to Vandy at home Hitler was in power. The last time we lost to a FCS school was... NEVER! When was the last time the Gators weren't in ANY national conversation, anywhere??? I'm glad you have selective memory but last year was about as bad as it can get for Gator football. That's not hyperbole... That is the truth.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    Last year was the worst season we have had in 35 years, without a doubt, but how does that "put us back 35 years"? That implies it will take us 35 years to overcome last season, which is pure hyperbole. If I miss-took your quote then my apologies but that is exactly how it read.