Bobby Petrino trainwreck going on at Louisville...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Aug 19, 2014.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +975
    I didn't see any good points I saw his opinion on who are franchise coaches. We have one in champ, that's my opinion how do you like them apples.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    Glad this train wreck is on their tracks and not ours. Our last year's OC vs. OL was enough to last a life-time. Petrino is a jerk and has earned every bit of the stress that comes his way.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    do quitting on your team with 3 games left and informing them with notes left in their locker or flying around on private jets in the middle of the season interviewing for jobs that are open not count as questionable character/integrity?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +481
    Jeeze, I forgot about that one!
  5. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Petrino doesn't deserve to be the head of our program. His hiring would automatically reduce our stature significantly in the eyes of the college football world. Louisville went from first class to no class with one hire.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. your_perfect_enemy

Ratings Received:
    +817
    petrino has a $10 million buyout at Louisville, he isn't coming here and I couldn't be happier about that.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Geez, I don't care if he could bring us an NC every other year. The guy is a creep. He dumped on his wife, his players, and his team. He left College Teams and a Pro Team in a jam.

Is winning that important to you? Do you want this @#$% around your kids? One reason I like Muschamp is that he seems to look out for his players and he blames himself when things go wrong.

If Foley picked Petrino, I'd stop supporting the program.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. jcp

jcp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +419
    Petrino would not be considered by UF.
  9. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    I don't see Petrino being nominated for Man of the Year - even in his own household. He is an offensive minded dirt bag.
  10. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Petrino might be mentioned by the talking heads about being a candidate for UF's job, but he'll never be a legitimate candidate in anyone's eyes that has any of the actual decision making to do with hiring. He has absolutely no shot at ever being on the sidelines in the Swamp, unless he's standing on the east sideline.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,705
    He put his girl friend on the payroll in a fairly high paying job she wasn't qualified for. Not sure if charges could be brought, but he certainly was defrauding the taxpayers of Arkansas, so he could get some convenient leg.

In addition to her compensation, were travel expenses so they could to do the tube snake boogie where ever he needed to travel.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    He didn't hire her himself. He was on the committee that hired her. If the committee approved her hire, I would assume she was at least somewhat qualified. She might not have been who they preferred but I can't believe the committee would have approved hiring somebody they knew was totally unqualified.

Unethical and morally wrong? Absolutely! Preferential treatment? Sure! Grounds for firing? Yes! But probably not illegal.

He also gave her $20,000 as a Christmas present, which I assume came from him personally and not athletic association funds. Again, morally wrong but not illegal.

How much she traveled with him, I don't know, but chances are it didn't directly cost Arkansas much if anything. The only alleged travel expense I saw was when he arrived in a rented car with her at an event instead of flying. The cost of the car is probably the same whether it's just him or him with others. And I assume she stayed in the room with him so that likely didn't cost any more.

Look, as a human being, Petrino is a total turd. But that fact that Louisville was willing to look past everything he did directly to their program to rehire him is telling. You don't have to be a good person with the highest moral ethics to be a head coach any more. Saban is a total douchebag. Urban Meyer proved he had questionable morals. It's all about winning.

If Petrino keeps winning, he will quickly become one of the most sought after coaches again, despite his past. If/when Mike Leach starts really winning at Washington State, he's be a sought after candidate as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400

And this is very sad. So do we hold our players to a different standard than the coaches?
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    I think you may be interpreting my comments to say that character and morals don't matter. That's not the point at all. They are and should be factors. But they are a part of the overall equation in evaluating a coach, or any person for that matter.

There's no doubt that no matter what he does at Louisville, his past is going to be a major negative in his evaluation by every team (college or pro) that considers him a candidate. There are some teams that will probably not be able to get past it. But some teams are going to see the positives that a coach with a winning history brings and decide he's worth the risk. Where UF would fall if they were evaluating coaches is anyone's guess. Petrino is going to have to be very clearly the best candidate available to overcome his negatives.

It's really no different than when a school recruits a kid. Some of these kids are far from saints, but that doesn't mean you automatically stop recruiting them. There were some pretty serious questions about the character of Percy Harvin when he was recruited, but Meyer evaluated the pros and cons and decided he was worth the risk and in the end, he worked out both on the field and off.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  15. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    With all due respect,

The key word is "Kids". I understand that many of the players are 17 to 24. Young men at this age @#$% up. Young men who come from bad environments @#$% up even more. I get that.

Petrino is no young man coming out of the projects. Excusing these types of character flaws just because you are good or even great sends what type of message? Was it this attitude that overlooked Arron Hernandez?

I am sorry but character, ethics, and morals, matter to me. If this means fewer NCs then so be it.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,705
    I agree with this and would also add that the head coach (and other coaches) set the expectations for the team.

If the university hires a head coach who everyone knows has repeatedly demonstrated he has no character or morals, there is no way the university can expect their athletes to have any character or morals.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,343
    I've always said I would rather go 0-12 clean that 12-0 while cheating, or having a turd coach the team, but how many Gators would want him if Boom goes 6-6 with another 100th ranked offense?

Along with Sumlin, Malzahn, Briles, and the OC at Oregon, Petrino is a top rank offense-oriented coach. If we sack Boom, perhaps we can pull Sumlin out of College Station to feed the insatiable appetite of our offense-starved fans instead of Petrino...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    I doubt Sumlin will leave A&M for a lateral move and I'm sure they could match or beat any increase UF might offer.

I honestly think one of the reason Foley doubled down on Muschamp last year was that there was only one clear coach that fit the bill for what UF fans would want but UF wasn't going to beat out Texas for Charlie Strong. After him, Franklin was the only other option, but he wasn't and isn't a sure thing.

I think UF is in a tough position if Muschamp doesn't work out this year because there just aren't that many current head coaches that meet the criteria the fan base is going to want and be happy with. And I doubt Foley will want to take a gamble on an Coordinator after many fans have been unhappy with Muschamp "learning on the job."

The only Coordinator I could see Foley going after would be Kirby Smart. The only problem with that is that Foley would probably want Smart to keep Roper as the OC and I'm not sure Smart would be willing to do that when he'll have other opportunities where he could name his own staff.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. lestergator

lestergator Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    While the list is interesting, there are more options that are not on the list. In addition I bet we are going to win plenty of games and not require another new coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. your_perfect_enemy

Ratings Received:
    +817
    I agree on every account. I think we may have been able to get Charlie, if we acted quickly but that's a moot point.

I've thought hypothetically about kirby smart but I really don't see how that goes over well as he's almost an exact Muschamp clone- saban disciple, defensive coordinator, fiery personality and even an uga grad to boot. I just don't see how he sells that to the fan base.