Bob Stoops = SOS (Son of Spurrier)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jul 25, 2014.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,282
    Ok so let me get this right... four teams from one conference win multiple nattys And u say the conference is overrated? Really? Then u throw in Georgia, tx am, tenn, mizzou and u still come up with overrated? Somebody around here needs to check one of their algorithms.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    Wormwood
    I guess ever team in the sec needs to win one in order for it to be tough?
    Teams in the sec have a tougher schedule to play than Oklahoma to even be considered for the nc game.
    I like stoops a lot but he is in a much better position than many sec teams to make the playoffs.
    If GA, USC, UF a couple of years ago. Maybe even Texas a&am and Missouri would have had a shot for the big game if they had played in Oklahomas conference and schedule
  3. swamp1

swamp1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    When Stoops interviewed at UF with Foley in 2004, Bob said he had to fly home and ask his wife...Bullsht. He just flew home and used Foley's offer to sign a fat a$$ new contract. Foley screwed up and SHOULD have said he'd send UF1 or whatever the UF jet is called to pick-up Big Game Bob's wife so they could make the decision while Bob was in Jeremy's office...You don't let the potential buyer off the lot -ever. That, and rescind the offer if he doesn't accept then and there.

I've hated Bob Stoops since and hope every game day his bus picks up every roofing nail not already in a roof. Eff him.

We ended up looking sweet with Urb's success but I really think Foley played poker that day with Stoops like an amateur.
  4. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Lol guy is just milking that win over Bama to the max.

His conference couldn't even lead 2 different teams as champions in back to back years.

SEC had 4 different teams do it going on 8 years in a row. Of course there are gonna be weaker teams it's just a fact of life and a always will be with every conference every single year.

Funny how he tries his to point out the bad but refuses to give credit to the obvious
  5. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +480
    I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but I have no problem with him saying it. He needs to do what is best for his team and conference, and given all the press the SEC gets, he probably feels it is in his best interest to show where there are weaknesses.
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,186
    Does it really matter who wins the national title as long as we keep it in our conference?
  7. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    WOw you get your hate on to easly.
    Stoops did like anyone would do in his position. You don't lay all your cards on the table.
    You always listen to the others offer before you make a decision.
    Spurrier used to say never say never when asked would he leave Florida every year.
    He used it too keep his stock high.
    Sounds to me you are just hurt he didn't want to come to UF.
  8. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    Don't know why all the hate for Stoops here. He won an NC in his second year and played our 2008 team pretty tough without one of his best offensive players. My guess is he's still close to Spurrier too, who I don't know why was mentioned in the title of this thread. He wasn't at UF that long (three years?), but he had a HUGE impact right away.

One of my favorite memories of him and Spurrier was when they were returning from an away game and Spurrier asks him if AZ has a chance to be NE in 1996. Stoops' reply was essentially, "No way." I believe Spurrier poked fun at him a little bit later for that.
  9. swamp1

swamp1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Yea...guess I do have my hate on...but I didn't think about him one second 16 rows from the corner of the end zone where most of the great action in Miami took place that night. Took my brother to the NATCHAMP for his Christmas present. Now's the time to sit back and reflect... Bet Jeremy doesn't interview that way ever again...

I can't believe Big Game Bob sounds like he's politicking in July to sway whatever system runs the course this year. Bob-beat Bama or whomever in the title game then run your mouth like Jimmy Johnson. 'Til then...STHU!!
  10. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +948
    You don't hire a guy whose heart isn't in it...if they would really rather be somewhere else, let them.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    I didn't say the SEC is overrated. What I said was the fact that Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida won MNCs iin the 2000s, not Georgia, USCe, the Mississippi schools, Tennesse, Kentucky and Vandy. Why allow them to share in our success? Conferences don't win MNCs; teams do.
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    You may be right. Let's compare Oklahoma with Alabama in the regular season:

Alabama Opponent------------------Oklahoma Opponent

Auburn...............12-2................................Baylor.....................11-2
    LSU.....................10-3...............................Oklahoma St...........10-3
    Texas A&M...........9-4...............................Notre Dame..............9-4
    Virginia Tech........8-5...............................Texas.........................8-5
    Ole Miss................8-5...............................Texas Tech................8-5
    Miss State.............7-6................................Kansas State.............8-5
    Tennessee.............5-7................................TCU..........................4-8
    Arkansas..............3-9.................................West Virginia...........4-8
    Kentucky.............2-10................................Kansas......................3-9

Total..................64-51..............................................................65-49

Auburn..............67-52
    USCe.................68-59
    LSU...................66-49
    Mizzou..............61-52
    and, of course
    Florida...............83-46 (as often is the case, Florida had far and away the toughest schedule)
    Georgia..............83-46 (usually, their schedule is weaker than ours)

Don't confuse "SEC schedule" with Florida's schedule."

Mid-majors (plus Iowa State)

Colorado State......8-6.................................Iowa State...............3-9
    Georgia.................0-12...............................Louisiana-Monroe..6-6
    Tenn-Chatt...........FCS................................Tulsa........................3-9

Bama's schedule isn't overpoweringly more difficult than Oklahoma's last year.

Conversely, given that OU stomped Bama worse than anyone else did last year, had the Sooners been in the SEC last year, they too might have had the chance to play FSU for all the marbles...
  13. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,282
    I agree schools win, the fact that these schools all play in the same conference makes the achievement all the more amazing. Oklahoma, the far and away best team in the big eight, would be at best our third most challenging game, at best.
  14. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +451
    My comparison of Stoops to Spurrier was in reference to BGB getting in some digs on the competition, a favorite psychological trick of Spurrier. Stoops has emulated Spurrier his entire career as a head coach.
    I am NOT saying BGB is on the same level as Steve Spurrier.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,186
    Never will be anyone like the OBC..period.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    How about we use Auburn, since they were the team to be considered for the championship game from our conference...

Auburn Opponent------------------Oklahoma Opponent

Alabama...............11-2................................Baylor.....................11-2
    Missouri................12-2...............................Oklahoma St...........10-3
    LSU.......................10-3...............................Notre Dame..............9-4
    Texas A&M.............9-4...............................Kansas State..............8-5
    Georgia...................8-5...............................Texas Tech.................8-5
    Ole Miss..................8-5................................Texas.........................8-5
    Arkansas State........8-5................................UL-M........................6-6
    Mississippi State......7-6................................TCU..........................4-8
    FAU.........................6-6................................West Virginia...........4-8

Total..................79-38..............................................................65-49

Washington State...6-7................................Iowa State...............3-9
    Tennessee................5-7................................Kansas.....................3-9
    Arkansas..................3-9................................Tulsa.......................3-9
    Western Carolina....FCS (2-10)...................Nobody....................0-0

- With the lone exception of FAU (#87) vs. West Virginia (#74), the team on the left is rated higher than the team on the right in Sagarin's Ratings.
    - Auburn's opponents had a better W/L record (95-71 vs. 77-73). Really it should be 93-61 vs. 77-73 because Auburn is being penalized for playing *somebody* where Oklahoma had an extra bye week.
    - Auburn played 8 bowl opponents last year. Oklahoma played 6.

I know, I know, let's hear about why the SEC Championship Game shouldn't count towards a team's strength of schedule when discussing consideration for a national championship game...

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +766

Stoopsie's statements are stupid and incorrect. Spurrier may have taken shots at folks, but he never came close to being this dumb.
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    Stoops is 6-3 in bowl games against non-SEC competition. But he was only 1-4 in bowl games against SEC competition before the win against Alabama.

That said Stoops is now 3-0 against Alabama winning in Norman, Tuscaloosa, and in New Orleans. He has every right to run smack against Alabama, but as Wormwood would remind him, one team does not a conference make. I mean, if the others not allowed to share in the success, they shouldn't be forced to share in the shame. ;)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    Absolutely correct. Oklahoma's wins belong to Oklahoma, not the Big XII.

I also think your inclusion of the SECCG is a valid one, at least for this comparison.
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    I'd go with second, after Florida State. The game in January kinda proved that. Being that OU loses eight starters total, return nine from a top 20 defense and return their starting QB, while Alabama loses ten starters, six on defense, plus their quarterback.