Bob Stoops = SOS (Son of Spurrier)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jul 25, 2014.

1. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    By johnpennington @ Mr Sec  Published on: July 24th. 2014, 10:03am

Bob Stoops isn't a fan of the Southeastern Conference. Last offseason the Oklahoma coach claimed the SEC's reputation had been aided by what he called "propaganda." Then he went right out and backed up his talk by dismantling Alabama 45-31 (the game was never in doubt) in the Sugar Bowl. Going through the ESPN "Car Wash" of programs, Stoops came out guns blazing and with Mike Slive's conference his target. First, he took on the league's 8-game conference schedule and its reputation. "It's (non-conference schedules are) not real strong, and you're only playing eight conference games... The bottom line is, all 14 aren't doing real well. And there's some of them you wouldn't mind playing." (Here's guessing his brother, Mark, at Kentucky appreciated that comment.) Next, he took issue with Nick Saban's statement that he had had trouble getting his team back up for the Sugar Bowl after their season was dashed in the last second of the Iron Bowl. "So if I'm not in a national championship game, that means I've got a built in excuse," he said, mocking Saban. Finally, he dissed Texas A&M's admittedly weak non-conference schedule (Lamar, Rice, at SMU, and UL-Monroe). "Boy, that's a bunch of toughies," he sneered.

Did someone from the SEC run over the Stoops family dog?

http://mrsec.com/articles/oklahoma-s-bob-stoops-continues-to-hate-the-sec
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    Chokelahoma wins 1 bowl game and now Stoops is really coming out swinging. Look at how many big games his Big 12 beasts lost through the years. lol
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +566
    He can get back to us when the big 12 rattles off seven straight nattys...
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    I agree with him 100% about Saban's lame excuse, as well as Texas A&M's laughable OOC schedule. I share his love for the SEC...

And last I checked, the SEC didn't win any of those seven natties. I never saw Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, USCe, Georgia, Mizzou, Texas A&M or Tennessee in them.

The SEC is more than Bama, LSU, Florida and Auburn.
  5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    They play La Tech that went 3-9, Tulsa that went 4-8 and Tennessee that went 5-7 and then play 4 conference games against teams that went 4-8 or worse. Glass houses bob glass houses.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,031
    But doesn't every conference have its bottom dwellers? I'm not sure I understand the argument... 'the SEC is over-rated because we have some bad teams'?

Show me a conference that doesn't have some bad teams and that might be a point. Otherwise it's completely invalid.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,259
    I disagree, as much as football is about numbers it is also about emotion and desire. Those aren't 22 robots that take the field each game. I do not believe that Alabama was "up" for that game after being in title games and the loss to Auburn, I believe Oklahoma was. One, because Stoops has had a hard time post season and they were playing a brand name in Alabama.

Does that take away from the Oklahoma win, no it does not. They came in prepared and up for the game. Alabama came in flat, their goal was lost before the SEC championship was played. Good for Stoops he won a bowl game, that may have been his goal, I doubt it was Alabama's goal or desire.

You are somewhat a lone ranger when you say that the SEC does not win those titles when most every other news source or most every other football fan says that the SEC won seven in row. The conference did, as a whole. Just like the conference is about to get 40 million a year in TV money.

One-third (five) of the SEC won BCS title games. If Oklahoma wants to set its sites each year on winning (what was) a BCS game, good on them.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    Bama had the same problem in 2008 when we knocked them out of the National Championship game, and Utah beat them as well. I read years ago that it's a good bet to go against the favorite when the favorite isn't playing in the game they hoped/wanted to be in. I think that may have contributed to our performance in 2012 against Louisville as well. Oh yeah, let Big Game Bob beat an SEC team when something is truly on the line, then he can talk smack with some credibility.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    These are the out of conference teams that Oklahoma has played starting with the 08 season:
    UT Chattanooga
    Cincinnati x 2
    Washington
    BYU
    Idaho State
    Tulsa x 3
    Miami
    Utah State
    fsu x 2
    Air Force
    Ball State
    UTEP
    FAMU
    Notre Dame x 2
    Louisiana Monroe

Bob should take a closer look at his out of conference schedule before he criticizes others. Lots of weak sisters on his schedules too.
  10. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    He's milking that Alabama win for all it's worth.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Yes, I am a lone ranger in that regard. When one says the SEC wins those titles, it somehow implies that the bottom feeders would be better if they were in another conference, but are as bas as they are becaue they are in the SEC. The head to head record do not reflect that. You and I are both old-timer Gators. I still remember 1984. So do you.

As for Bama's lame excuses, if Bama win the game by 11 points, who would say that OU lost the game because "they didn't want to be there?" It NEVER works the other way.
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    The SEC has nine BCS titles between five different schools.

The next closest is the ACC with three between two schools. All non-SEC conferences combined have seven winners between six schools.

Not sure how anyone can make an argument that the SEC isn't winning these titles.

You can make a clear argument that the other conferences combined have less than a 50/50 chance of fielding a team that will beat the SEC's best.

Further, the chances that a team comes out of the southeast (SEC plus FSU and Miami), are fully 75%. Twelve out of 16 titles.

The King changes year to year, but the throne is clearly centered in the southeast.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    All that it means when one gives the SEC credit is that the SEC Champion is going to be more battle tested than the champion of another conference, and that edge in being battle tested is likely to give the SEC an advantage. Leave it to Auburn to blow it one time and then almost blow it another time. :D (Actually, I don't fault Auburn, I hope we can make a similar turnaround) The SEC may not be on top for ever, but they've dominated the championship scene the past 8 years. I can't wait to see how/if a 4-team playoff changes things.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    About Oklahoma's schedule:

- they play 9 conference games, but they also don't play a conference championship game. The SEC Champion will have played 9 conference games
    - 7 teams on their schedule had a losing record last year; 2 teams on their schedule won double-digit games; average number of wins by the winning teams from last year = 9
    - they play one team on the road that had a winning record last year (Texas Tech 8-5)
    - they play 1 top 10 Sagarin team from last year, 2 Sagarin top 15 teams, and 3 Sagarin top 25 teams
    - Tennessee is their 7th toughest opponent

About FLORIDA's schedule:

- we play 5 teams that won double-digit games last year, 2 of them are on the road
    - we play 4 teams that had a losing record last year; for the 7 teams that had a winning record last year, average number of wins = 10.7
    - we play 3 top 10 Sagarin teams from last year, 5 Sagarin top 15 teams, and 5 Sagarin top 25 teams (no need to count Georgia at #26)
    - Tennessee is our 8th toughest opponent
    - The weakest 3 teams we play (5 combined wins last year) are far and away worse than the weakest three teams Oklahoma plays (10 combined wins last year on a tougher schedule), but none of these teams should be a threat to either team regardless

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Alabama's schedule:

- play 6 teams that had a losing record last year; 2 teams that had double-digit wins; average number of wins by the winnings teams from last year = 9.2
    - they play 1 top 10 Sagarin team from last year, 2 Sagarin top 15 teams, and 3 Sagarin top 25 teams from last year (similar to Oklahoma, right?...but Alabama would likely also have to play in the SECCG if they are a factor)
    - Tennessee is Alabama's and Oklahoma's 7th toughest opponent; West Virginia is Oklahoma's 9th toughest opponent and Alabama's 8th toughest opponent

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  16. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    For the record, Tennessee won the BCS in 1998.
    Georgia last won a national championship in 1980.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,042
    It's kind of funny of you think about it. Bob is milking the win for all it's worth while Saban has long since forgot about it. Saban will still have a better recruiting class, is still paid more, and has more titles so.....bob who?
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Yeah, but there is absolutely NO resemblance that Tennessee program and this one.

Tennessee Ten Year Record prior to 1998 and 2013:

Year-------W/L-------------W/L------Year

1998..............13-0......................5-7.........2013
    1997..............11-2.......................5-7.........2012
    1996..............10-2......................5-7.........2011
    1995..............11-1.......................6-7.........2010
    1994................8-4.....................7-6.........2009
    1993..............10-2......................5-7.........2008
    1992................9-3....................10-4.........2007
    1991................9-3......................9-4.........2006
    1990...............9-2-2...................5-6.........2005
    1989........../....11-1.....................10-3........2004

Total......101-20-2 (.829)...67-58 (.563)

Compare to Georgia and USCe since 2000:

Year-------UGA W/L----------USCe W/L

2013................8-5.......................11-2
    2012...............12-2.......................11-2
    2011...............10-4.......................11-2
    2010................6-7........................9-5
    2009...............8-5........................7-6
    2008..............10-3........................7-6
    2007...............11-2........................6-6
    2006................9-4........................8-5
    2005..............10-3........................7-5
    2004..............10-2........................6-5
    2003..............11-3.........................5-7
    2002..............13-1.........................5-7
    2001................8-4........................9-3
    2000...............8-4........................8-4

Total......134-49 (.732).....110-65 (.629)

The Vols have fallen HARD, not as a team, but as a program. The Dawgs under Richt and the 'Cocks under Holtz and Spurrier passed them by. Tennessee can still recruit, but they have a LOT of work to do to get their program back on track, and Florida, Georgia, USCe and Mizzou are not going to allow that to happen. heck, even Vandy is bringing it to them, having won the lat two games.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    Interesting interpretation. Another one, which I believe is equally, if not more valid, is Wes's. Seven years with four different teams is a pretty strong trend; the type of trend that suggests particular generalization about quality.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    Good question. There are a few likely interpretations, but I will leave it for each poster to form their own opinions.