blog on guvment shutdown

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Oct 1, 2013.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,540
    http://blog.heritage.org/2013/10/01/the-story-behind-the-government-shutdown/?utm_source=heritagefoundation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Morning%2BBell
    Government funding isn’t the issue. It’s Obamacare.
    The House has passed multiple bills that would fully fund government but would defund or delay Obamacare. The Senate has rejected these plans, and Obamacare’s health insurance exchanges are supposed to open today.
    Never mind the fact that Congress and the Administration have already delayed major provisions of Obamacare and given special considerations to labor unions and Congress.
    We believe the American people deserve an exemption from Obamacare.
    The President and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) continue to go against the will of the public to protect an unworkable law that has raised individuals’ health care premiums, cut workers’ hours, made it more difficult to find a job, and has forced many Americans off their existing health coverage.
    The real story isn’t the government shutdown, but rather the insistence by President Obama and Reid to foist Obamacare on the American people.
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,994
    Obama thinks he can summarily change a federal law like he's some sort of King... Amazing how long the RINO's have let this cat get away with this crap.

And speaking of King, Peter King, I hope the Tea Party runs a candidate against the NY a$$hole that is acting more and more like a liberal. He keeps talking on Fox News acting like a spoiled little bi!@h... blubbering about Cruz and the "minority view" in the Republican party.

He and his RINO views of go-a-long-to-get-along is the reason we need to rid the Pubs of these NY type RINO's. He's the one splitting our party up. Not one of those over payed a$$hats have stood up to Obama-scam and Obama except for a hand full of conservative Tea Party Pubs like Cruz, Rubio and Paul.
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    The government is not shutting down, just "essential" employees will still be getting paid and working. Stop LYING liberals.
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    His district voted dem in the last 5 presidential elections, a tea party candidate isn't his threat it's a dem. hence why he is acting the way is.
  5. G8RBorne

G8RBorne Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Dad, I issued 6 notices of intent to furlough today to my air traffic controllers. Our radar facility issued letters to 8 of the 12 controllers. 280+ years of experience sitting at home without pay. I'm not a liberal and dislike the ACA, but this is real and is on the backs of some good people. I wished the Rs would've left the ACA mandate as is so everyone would see how bad I believe it is and be able to say, "told ya so." Both sides play the game, but yeah-the shut down is real.
  6. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Wait a minute. My dad's a retired ATC and was working during the last shutdown, with pay (Gainesville Flight Service). Even in this one air traffic control was listed as an essential item. Is this because the feds privatized a bunch of facilities and will just transfer the traffic? The only ones that got notices were some of the support staff last time.

Just strange that if it's an essential service you're still being told to send notices. Actually, they were sending them out here at the base telling soldiers they weren't getting paid-they hadn't heard about the last-second agreement. Could someone have made a mistake?
  7. G8RBorne

G8RBorne Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    DoD facilities, and yes...service is provided to general/civil aviation. The bill spoke the FAA and contracted facilities.
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Gatorbill---looks like U.S. Chamber of Commerce(a predominantly GOP group) disagrees with you
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,540
  10. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Got it- this is military ATC. Probably what they'll do is shift everything to regional FSS - though with you being in the UK (? your location) I don't know how that would work.

I know with dad's it was a regional FSS, so all FSS & Tower controllers were on duty with full pay. Support staff was furloughed. I spent a lot of free time at my dad's FSS running printouts, making coffee, logging those lovely little strips of paper (yes, they still used those up until last year, and some places still use them), etc. This was pre-9/11 so pretty much I could just walk in and everyone knew me :yes:
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,994
    Then he should keep his flytrap shut.
  12. G8RBorne

G8RBorne Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Nice! You should've followed in your dad's shoes! You had a good head start. :) I'm in the NE now, haven't updated my profile. Our radar facility's traffic is 80% civilian traffic. Hate that my folks weren't excepted positions, but is what it is.
  13. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    My father said it was no place for a woman, and that combined with watching one of his coworkers drop dead of a heart attack at his station somewhat sealed the deal. He said I would be expected to take care of my household, children, etc, and that a controller's schedule was not conducive to motherhood. So he actively discouraged me from doing it.

He was somewhat right, though, because I work from home and I can't imagine having to deal with my health issues, a controller's shift/stresses, plus the usual household things. You also have to be ready to move at any time, and I was taught to stay or move for a husband's job, not the wife's job.

You think that's bad/archaic? I actually was nominated and was accepted to the Air Force Academy. I found out by a letter with all my information, etc. My dad read it and his face lit up with pride....until he remembered that I was a girl, and he screamed out "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" So I was forbidden. :shhh:

Oh well :)
  14. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    This shutdown should be very effective.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1