Bleacher Report's game by game predictions for the Gators

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Aug 19, 2014.

1. bobroberts

bobroberts Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Agreed. I also think the first 25 minutes of our game against them showed that they are beatable. The score was 0-3 until about 4:25 remaining in the first half. And that was with a literally crippled Gator team. If the offense could have stayed on the field a bit longer and put up any points, our defense (don't remember who we had out on D at that point) may have been able to keep them in check.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Not to mention the blatant pass interference by kelvin Benjamin that lead to one of those late 1st half TDs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Sure! Why not? Those other 10-12 teams aren't necessarily good because they happen to be in the SEC.

Or more accurately, John Chavis, Lorenzo Ward, the Georgia and Mizzou DCs will try to coach their way around it. Mizzou will have their hands full with seven new starters on defense, however...

Every other team has th share that as well...

Why not? LSU has huge offensive issues this year, Georgia just got rid of much of their defense along with their QB, Mizzou lost 14 starters, and Spurrier's offense has yet to figure out Boom's defense. I think we COULD win them all.

Coaches don't play the game. None of those coaches will outcoach our staff.

It's hard to win football games in ANY league unless you have a loaded, experienced squad of studs.

Yeah, but the good news is that our opponents (except for FSU) also have many question marks.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Not within a light year of being true. That is just ridiculous. Go look at some of Nebraska's schedules.

Spoken like a true-blue, Nole-hatin' Gator from Quincy. FSU could have won MNCs several years from 1987 through today had they been in the SEC. Two years that come to mind is 1996 and 2013.

* In 1987, they beat 9-0-2 Auburn 34-6 and lost to undefeated Miami by one point;
    * In 1988, they beat 10-1 Auburn in the Sugar Bowl and also demolished 7-4 Florida, although they got crushed by Miami;
    * In 1989, they beat 10-1 Auburn and undefeated Miami, as well as 10-1 Nebraska;
    * In 1990, they easily beat 9-1 Florida;

From 1987-2000, and 2012-13, FSU's record against teams with 1 or fewer losses (not counting h to h) is an impressive 25-16-1 over 16 years (42 games).

From 1984-5, 1990-2001, and 2006-8 and 2012 (16 years), Florida's record against such teams is 21-23-1 (45 games).

From 1985-6, 1991-4, 1996, 1999, 2002, 2005, and 2008-2013, Alabama's record is 12-22-2 (36 games)
  5. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    FSU would have gone undefeated in route to a national championship in 1993 if they had played Auburn's weak schedule.
  6. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Why did you use uneven years, from the outside it looks like you chose the most beneficial years to prove your point, why not just use all the same years?
  7. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    A lot can happen between now and November. I mean, I've seen situations in the past where teams have literally had one guy after another blow their knee(s) out. I saw a team lose their starting QB AND a first-round defensive tackle in less than a week. Imagine if the Noles played without three starters (including both tackles) across the offensive line; or lost Kar'los Willyms to some bizarre viral infection for a month-and then lost him for, like, the rest of the season because he sustained another bizarre injury in week six.

I know that all sounds like a lot, and in a lot of ways even unbelievable, but the people say a lot can happen in three months of football.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,022

I certainly don't mark down fsu as a loss this year. I did last year, without reservation because I knew there was no way we could avoid a beat down with all the injuries we'd had. Admittedly, they're going to a very good team this year too, but... although top 10 talented they are not even as good as they were last year because they lost several very excellent players and leadership experience from last year's team. Timmy Jernigan was their Sharif Floyd last year, and though they have some very capable DT's on their roster, they don't have a Dominique Easley caliber one in that group.

And noticed how our offense dropped off in 2009 when Harvin went pro? Watch fsu's show some kinks without Benjamin there. Now he was an "great" receiver imo. Just had it all in one package and was virtually un-defendable at times.

With all the star, leadership players we'd lost from the year before, and then lost 10 starters and 5 primary back-ups to injury this past season. There was zero leadership and none of the core talent and players on the field that our offense and defense were actually built around to make them work.

Simply put, we had the car there but the engine and drive train were missing, and the car isn't going to run without those. Now, even with all those injuries, just look at fsu last season. One injury, ONE, was all they needed to lose their shot at a NC and probably lead to at least two losses, or more, and that was Rapeist Winston. They lose him, they were done. It'll be the same scenario this year too. They lose the rapist, they're looking at 4 losses, maybe more. Just lose him for one weekend against a decent opponent (OSU, Miami, ND, Clemson, UF), they're done.

fsu won their title last year, give 'em their kudos, but even then, it took an enormous amount of lucky breaks to get there to play for it all... and that goes for most teams. For as good as a team might be, luck, schedule, team focus and cohesion, and other variables play big roles. It's hard to wrap all those qualities and factors up into one season and make it all come together. (Example, one variable is how fsu managed to catch UF decimated by injuries on the road, a huge advantage to their title hunt). Bama manged to do it for several years under Saban, and though they are the most talented team in the country roster-wise, you're going to see a little of that problem with complacency bite them like it did in their last two games last year, but Bama is another story.

I think fsu was a very, very good football team last year, but I don't think they were a "great" team. If they wanted to prove they were great, play a top 10 SOS and prove it to me. Heck, play a top 30 strength of schedule. Look at all the luck they needed to get there. Easiest SOS of any BCS champion ever, Clemson literally falling apart at home, Winston not being charged for rape, little or no injuries to any of their starters, UF decimated by injuries, and then the bizarre KO/TD at AU, and there were other variables I missed here too.

OTOH, there's always the old saying "I'd rather be lucky than good".
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    He listed those 3 teams best seasons.
  10. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    I might choose something a little milder than 'questionable' for Dylan Thompson. He had a 300+ yard game as a starter against Clemson in 2012 in their house. He came on in replacement for Shaw against Wisconsin and drove down the field and threw the winning strike with eleven seconds remaining.

Of all the replacement QB's in the east this year, he's the only one with starts in both 2012 and 2013.

I do agree that there is a significant advantage that the game is in the Swamp, SC only winning in 2010. This year the oline will be better and the running backs will be better. I'd venture to say the depth and talent at running back is better than it has ever been in the history of the program.

Ward spend some time with Strong and is implementing the 3-4 this year to play to the strength of a deep and talented linebacker pool.

Biggest question mark is at CB. And of course, should we experience the injuries that you guys or UGA had last year, all bets are off. I'm not sure in all my years following college football I've ever seen that many injuries from two teams.

I think the TAM and UGA games will be a good indication of just how good or bad this team is.

At the end of the day I take off my hippie Garnet stoner glasses (which are now legal in the state of Washington) and look at what the Vegas guys are saying. They get more accurate as the season progresses.
  11. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    SEC East or bust. Don't care how we get there - just get to Atlanta.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,441
    WRT your RB situation, while it is very strong, George Rogers says hi. :)
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    I chose the best years of both teams, not the down years. If you look, I also omitted the worst of the Florida years.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    You may be right, but when I saw him play, he was struggling against strong defenses, or even not so strong defenses like UCF and Mizzou. Again, you may be dead right, but if he was anything really special, he would have been the starter long ago, particularly for those who believe Spurrier only turned into Frank Beamer because he simply didn't have the talent at QB to run the Fun n' Gun at USCe. If he can do it week in and week out (and he gets under the gun from Week One, while we have a month to get ready for Bama), then I'll be the first to tell you I was whacked, and remember the old mantra, "In Ball Coach I Trust."

For what it's worth.

Depth yes. Incredible depth, like Florida. Talent? No. You had more talented RBs than Davis. Rogers and Lattimore come to mind.

This is true. Sumlin can make you or me look good at QB. You guys shut the Aggies down, get ready for Atlanta. Your team is still all about defense.

Which are why they are in the big shiny buildings...
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Can never agree to this. We may have an outstanding team and yet still not get to Atlanta. Remember 2001? That was possibly Spurrier's second greatest team, and the only team he ever had that finished in the top ten in both total offense AND total defense.
  16. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Yeah, didn't mean to take away from Big George or Latti. I was just trying to say our backups are probably better than in ages past. No one remembers Johnnie Wright, Georges backup.
    • Agree Agree x 1