Bleacher Report's game by game predictions for the Gators

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,920
    I think that last happened in 2004. There is a reason why everyone like the Noles as #1.
  2. GatorRider

GatorRider Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Well, I hope for a 10-2 season as well, but I must ask, did Dollar General get in a truckload of rose colored glasses?
    8 wins or more would be a good season. Go Gators!
  3. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    The most dangerous team is the one with nothing to lose.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    I'm not buying it. I like a healthy gators squad with a improved offense. They lost some serious leaders/talent and I know they brought some in but they just lost another wide receiver isiah jones to academics. Their running game wasn't great before and the receivers/passing game is their bread and butter. Of those freshman and/or guys like jones or haggans show inconsistency, rashard greene may find it harder to get open.

IMO we have the secondary talent to shut down the WR fsu currently have.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,920
    You realize that before last year, they put nine players into the NFL draft. They re-loaded...
  6. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    I'm not saying they wouldn't be favored, and rightfully so but I don't see a automatic win against this gators squad if healthy. Can they? Certainly. Will they for sure? "Not so fast my friend" . I wasn't overly impressed with their overall performance against auburn and I believe auburn showed that fsu is beatable.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    Re-loaded? OK true but the most polished wr they signed, rudolph has yet to practice with contact coming back from foot surgery, Harrison has also been missing practice with injury. Outside of greene, fsu has little experience at the WR position w/jones and wilson combining for 180 yards last season. Not to mention wilson is suspended indefinitely for stealing a scooter. Put it this way. Winston will really need to have his true freshman receivers step up big time for him not to encounter trouble this year. It may also help if they found a running game since they avg. The second lowest yards per game out of the top 20 offensive teams racking up only 151. 0 ypg.

They like to pass and did it effectively last year. If they have problems in that area this year they may stumble a bit because I don't see their rushing game running over anybody.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +785
    This is pretty much in line with how I feel, even though I think we will slip up once or twice. People are overrating Missouri, Vanderbilt, Alabama, LSU, and South Carolina. None of them return QB's, and most of them lost a lot more than that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +648
    In that case, we should have won every game since Vanderbilt.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
  11. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Tell us why...
  12. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    I would be ecstatic if this was how the season went, simply because UF would win the SEC east and it's been SO DAMN LONG again since UF has been in Atlanta.

I still think UF will drop one other game, because things never seem to work out like you think they will on paper. I've been saying 9-3 for a while now and I'm sticking to that.

But man... 10-2, that sure would shut some people up.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Swamp_Monkey

Swamp_Monkey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Well of course, at least one team - and often, two - manage to do it every year. The other 10 or 12 teams in the league are left with more losses. Are you suggesting we're going to be the best in the SEC (or at least the best in the East) this year?

Another poster asked me why I think we drop 3 SEC games. My reasoning is that, while we are talented, a lot of stuff has to go right for us to succeed at that level. Our players have to execute a new offense. Our coaches have to have a good game plan. Our opponents' coaches have to be unable to scheme against us (and since our offense has reportedly been "simplified" so our players can grasp it, I have no doubt that the likes of Les Miles, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier and Gary Pinkel can coach their way around it). The players have to be healthy and have to have be mentally ready to play every game. We have to avoid getting screwed by the officials.

Beyond Alabama (which has a pretty distinct talent advantage over just about everyone), I can't tell you exactly who we will lose to, but I don't see us running through LSU, Georgia, Missouri and South Carolina with no losses. All four of those teams have competent coaches with talent on par with our own. Can we beat them? Sure. Can we beat all of them? I'd say the odds are not with us. It's hard to win football games in this league.

I'd love to be proven wrong, believe me. There are just too many question marks right now for me to feel that confident.
  14. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,172
    We can speculate predicting records and so forth, but until I see all 11 game clocks hit triple zeroes, every game on our schedule is winnable. I refuse to concede any game to any of our opponents..PERIOD. There are some on here that will call me an idealist, maybe go so far to say that I'm out of my mind, but I will never sell my alma mater short. This is not my prediction, rather it is my belief with my full conviction behind my statement.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Swamp_Monkey

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I get where you're coming from, and I will be rooting for the Gators every week, but if you believe that every game on our schedule is "winnable," then you must also concede that every one of them is "lose-able."
  16. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,172
    Not necessarily. That's why I said until the clocks hit triple zeroes. I will concede losing when the game is over and tip my hat to the victor. Remember, there are no handicaps in football...we start with the same score as the opponent at the time of kick-off.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    I think your misinterpreting the use of the word "simplified" when describing our offense. They simplified our offense in regards to routes, motions, pre snap reads. The spread offense makes the qb's decision clearer and easier to make. It also minimizes the thinking part of the game allowing players to react rather than think, there for allowing for faster play, hence the uptempo.

What it also does or doesn't if you will, is simplify defending it. The spread is a scheme in such that it spreads out your defense forcing 1 on 1 match ups or an open playmaker if someone cheats over to help on another player. But most Importantly it difficult to defend because it forces the defense to make open field tackles which if you played the game you know are the hardest to make consistently, especially against fast, elusive, elite sec level backs and receivers.

In a bunched formation it does not give the ball carrier much room to operate. Lots of opposite jerseys mean more possible tacklers. The pro/bunch formation also relies heavily on the oline making blocks and creating holes to create big plays. In the spread it allows playmakers to use their god given athletic ability make a move on the first defender and get to the second level or take it to the house.

Trust me when you have 6 weapons on the field at once (QB, 4 RB/WR, TE) that can all score it's not that simple to defend. Why do you think saban wanted to slow down the game.

Also you are aware how "simple" Auburn's offense is right? They ran about 5 different plays over and over and over again. Mostly rushing from the spread which opens up the pass. But I watched them run the "flysweep" about 6 times in a row because no one could stop it so why not? They would just change it up and run to weak side or strong side, but effective is effective. Also Dan mullen and Meyer's offenses where not overly intricate.
    By this statement I take it that you are not of the belief that we do as well.

That's not all bad though, it will make you that much more pleasantly surprised when champ bring home another SEC Coach of the Year award.

Ps. We'll save you some leftover crow. :)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,172
    The spread is also predicated on where the opponent's safety is positioned. If he's close to the LOS, it's more than like a pass play either towards the sideline, or if a WR or a screen pass to RB gets behind the safety on the flat, or putting the ball over the top of the safety your best athletes in open space. If the safety is down field, it's more than likely a run or short screen pass and this gives you one less player to defending the LOS making it better odds to get to the second level and once again putting your best players in space and more importantly makes the safety play man and have to tackle the RB in open space....Tebow feasted on defenses because of this.
  19. Swamp_Monkey

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Fair enough. If I knew a lot about coaching, I'd be a coach instead of a pencil-pusher.

That's not at all what I was saying. When two competent coaches face each other in a game, who comes out on top? Every time? What was Spurrier's record against Bowden? Against Fulmer?

I'll happily eat it if I am wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166

It amazes me too. UF has two top 5 and another top ten class on it's roster, good depth numbers, the most talent we've had on offense in years, great facilities, what I believe is a very good coaching staff now, and for anyone to write such a ludicrous comment that UF would go into anyone's house "vastly out-talented" by anyone was enough to make me put that mag down and not buy it. I appreciate honesty by any sportswriter, but not "flavor of the week", sensationalistic uber-hyping like that.

fsu had a higher ranked concensus class than us last year, but they didn't the previous two years when UF had two top 5 classes I believe. Like another poster commented a while back in another thread about fsu's title run last year, their title and Winston's Heisman was a direct result of playing one of the weakest strength of schedules a national champion ever faced. If fsu had joined the SEC in 1991 and began play in it in 1992, I firmly believe they still would not have a national championship trophy in their trophy case yet.

I seem to recall a lot of this pre-season ca-ca out of tally two years ago about how we were going to get stomped by the nolies and we ended up pounding them even with their ACC refs doing everything they could to protect them.

That's why you play the game.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1