Blast from the Past: Da Lobsta Willie Williams

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by TJtheGator, May 7, 2018.

1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,400
    Hard to believe this fall will mark the 15th anniversary of willie and his recruit diary.

Article is a few years old but brings back some memories.

The Tragic Story of Willie Williams, College Football's First Celebrity Recruit

Most amazing thing is how Coker flamed out at Miami shortly after this.

03/04/05 South Florida was LOADED and the Gators were a clear third for most top recruits. SOW proceeded to go 0-6 and 0-6 in 2006 and 2007 and Miami replaced Uncle Fester with Randy. Amazing the fallout from these recruiting wars.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,438
    Butch Jones staff had violations at UNC, which probably aided Miami success. If you can keep Miami kids home, should always have a good class. Miami always had great QB play in great years. Not so much since their hey day
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TJtheGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,400
    Go back and read the part where a former Cane says that inner city kids are sometimes better off going away to where there are no distractions. Very telling.

Seems like the “state of Miami” thrives on those 2 and 3-star players who drip athleticism and play with a mean streak. The CBs who become safeties, safeties who become LBs, and LBs who become DEs.

Lots of high rated guys do live up to the hype ala Willis McGahee, but I wonder if in the era of social media and internet everything it’s best for those 5-stars to sometimes go away to college.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    Didn't zook ask him to leave his OV early because he was misbehaving so badly?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,383
    I truly don't understand the thinking on these kids. At some point when they have a real shot at playing in the NFL they would stop the bs.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,383
    From what I remember Zook did send him home early.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,916
    Set off a fire extinguisher on campus and hug a female UF student without permission. If I have it right, UF was not considered a serious player for Williams and he took the visit for “fun.” Once Williams was on campus and pulled his antics it became clear and Zook sent him home to get him away from the other recruits visiting that weekend.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,841
    I initially read this as “hung a female UF student” and thought this story was much, much darker than I originally believed.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,291
    I think it is sad that people are upset over the "waste of talent" than the "waste of a life". This kid was a repeat offender, criminal who kept getting second/twelfth chances because of his athletic talent. The world lost nothing by him not becoming an NFL player as without changes he would have just been a rich loser (who, like many NFL/lottery winners, are quickly turned back into poor people with the same character flaws).

Given the above, perhaps worse than the "waste of a life" in this case is the elevation/protection of such a flawed person by so many people/institutions who would have ignored him had he not been athletically gifted. Glad Zook sent him home and UF did the right thing bringing charges. Like to think we would do the same thing even had he wanted to come to UF. In fact, that discipline under Foley was something I appreciated and hope SS emulates. Some things are more important than winning.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    I agree with alot of what you posted but let's not go too overboard. After one of our victories over uga in Jax I personally witnessed one of our players setting off fireworks in the hallway of our hotel. I agree Willie is a whole nother level but some of our kids do similar things. (Maybe not 5 or 6 times unless it's callaway)
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,428
    I remember in my college days some lineman (probably some bumb because I didn't recognize him) tried to pick a fight with me at the movies because I dared accidentally cross his path into a restroom. This was at the movies, and in addition to this incident this was probably the loudest most obnoxious group of morons I've ever heard assembled in a movie theater. They basically ruined everyone else's time. I played b-ball with some guys at SW Rec, so I know they weren't all bad, but on this "team outing",they were ridiculous as a group.

Let's face it. I'm sure in any given year, we have our fair share of guys on the team who probably aren't that far off from Willy the Lobster. They just cut their antics a bit short of felony convictions (which da Lobster never figured out).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    Yeah, I've seen several incidents as well during my time in Gainesville. One involving White Chocolate.

What year are you talking about Bling.
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,587
    My kid brother was there from Zook into Meyer. What was supposedly common knowledge on campus never makes it to the public.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TJtheGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,400
    Agree 100%.

I’m also curious about the part that talks about how Willie was a “free style artist” LB in HS because his talent had him head and shoulders above anyone else, but then Shannon talks about how he had zero instincts.

The guys who thrive at LB usually have great insticts.

How did so many coaches get this wrong? How did so many scouts not see this?

In a HS game you got a bunch of guys who will never play in college but back in 03 Rivals and company were already hosting camps. How did anyone not step forth and call him overrated cause he had zero instincts?

Would love to have been at those UM practices and see for myself.

I’ve always liked Shannon and believe him to be a good LB coach. Thankful for his time at UF. Surprised he couldn’t get through to Willie.
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,428
    Probably 98 or 99. Not sure of exact year, can't remember the movie - obviously that would peg it. There were probably about 20-30 football players so it must have been some type of semi-official team outing or something (free tickets?).

I "heard" plenty of other stuff over the years, but this incident I saw with my own eyes. It always jumps out at me because they were pretty much acting like grade schoolers. Throwing popcorn at girls, just causing a general ruckus and making noise during the movie. What I and my buddies found odd was that they didn't just rent the whole theater. I'm sure they got alot of complaints. I never asked for a refund, think it's too late? LOL.
  16. CaptUSMCNole

Ratings Received:
    +1,916
    Yeah that should have be “hugged.” It’s what I get for posting before having coffee.
  17. CaptUSMCNole

Ratings Received:
    +1,916
    Every program is going to decide to take a risk on a recruit based off his talent and the school’s need. I’ve heard scouts talk about always needing certain kids on a team with an “edge.” Those kids don’t always have a great home life or background but will be fearless playing ball, however you need to keep a close eye on them off the field. It isn’t something fans or boosters want to talk about but every program has them.

Willie Williams should never have agreed to having that set of articles written about him considering his background. He or someone around him like his head coach or position coach should have known that his record would eventually get out and cause a lot of schools to pull their offers. Willie should probably have gotten as far away from Miami as possible but hindsight is 20-20.
  18. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    Lol. Probably too late. I was at UF from 95-99. It had to be scream 2. ;)

A bit OT We had something like 10 friends come up from jupiter for the weekend. We decided to see Scream 2. My roommate had no classes Friday and he went early to buy the tix. The movie was so awful we all told him we weren't paying for that garbage. (He eventually got his money back in a round about way buy I mention it to him every once in awhile. If you knew him you'd know how funny it is)
  19. gnvgator

gnvgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,198
    "When asked what his wildest story was, Willie Williams immediately came to Crowder’s mind. For some brief context, Williams was a big-time linebacker recruit out of Carol City High in Miami, eventually attending and getting kicked out of both Miami and Louisville.

“The wildest one was probably Florida,” Crowder said. “I was his host. Willie Williams. Crazy, Joe. Willie Williams weekend. They said he was crazy and I’m looking at coach, like coach, what the hell am I? This is terrible… I guess his coach requested me because I was young, I was a freshman All-American, so I had had some young success. So they wanted him to talk to me as a good influence but I told coach I’m not a good influence, I’m a bad influence on people.”

Crowder initially thought Willie would be a lunatic from the get-go but he showed up to dinner and was cool, amazed at the chocolate waterfall at the restaurant.

After dinner is when Wild Willie busted out.

“Then we get to the party side and the beers get involved and then somebody brings a bottle of Hennessy or something and he turns into a wild animal,” Crowder said. “So he starts taking his shirt off and he’s tipsy. I say you know what — this is my young thought — let’s just get him tore up to where he can’t function and we’re just gonna drink him under the table. The night will be over and he’ll go to sleep or wake up in the morning and we’ll tell him he had a good time.”

The plan backfired.

“His body was made for that. I don’t know if he was drinking as a kid but we started giving him the Crowder Cocktails — a half of a Heineken, a shot of patron, a shot of Hennessy, a shot of vodka, to fill up the rest of the Heineken bottle. Then you’ve got to chug it. That’s the entry to go out with us. We gave him two of them. That’s six shots, a full beer — he should be asleep. He cranks up more. We get to the club, he’s walking around, talking to girls. I say okay girls are here, he’s involved, he’s okay. Next thing I know — big hoopla — there’s a big fight in the club, he’s on top and I drag him back to the bathroom.

“We get him out of the club, no incidents. We get in the parking lot. Guy is walking across the parking lot yelling at somebody. He just takes off running and cleans him up, knocks him out — BOW. So at this point, this is when the ditching comes in, Joe. I’m on probation. I say ‘hey guys y’all got Willie, I’m gone.’ So I jumped in the car with some friends and left.”

Sometime after Crowder beelined from the five-star recruit’s craze, Willie went to his hotel and sprayed a fire extinguisher in his buddy’s face for not wanting to go out.

“This is the part of the story that really upsets me about Willie,” Crowder said. “They come to his door, knock on his door, hey were you playing with the fire extinguisher? No. He was four doors down from his friend that he fire extinguished and all the dust was in the hallway so they followed his feet back to his room and he had the fire extinguisher in his tub with a trail of dust back to his room. And I saw him later that day on Saturday and I’m just looking at him, you can’t be that crazy. Now he was in nice Willie mode: ‘my bad, I got a little out of line.’

“The wildest recruit, me or anyone else, was Willie.”"

Channing Crowder's Epic Story of Hosting "Wild" Willie Williams at Florida

Offender Information - Kentucky Department of Corrections - Offender Online Lookup System
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    Great post. Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen this. Lol

I feel for channing.