Blakeney

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, Jun 11, 2014.

1. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    As far as his recruitment, Blakeney says he’s wide open and lists Louisville, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, Florida State, Providence, LSU and USC among those recruiting him.

Coincidentally, Florida coach Billy Donovan is the U18 head coach and Providence’s Ed Cooley is an assistant.

“A lot of schools are recruiting me hard,” he said. “Mostly every school is recruiting me the same.”

“After the summer I kind of want to cut my list.”

Louisville is among the perceived leaders for Blakeney.

“I like them a lot, they like me a lot,” he said. “Of course, every school that likes me a lot, I’m going to like them. I have to go somewhere that likes me just as bad as I want them.”

Blakeney specifically likes “the situation that I would be going to. They got a good system. I feel like if I went there I’d be able to play.”

Florida is also heavily involved.

“The same thing [ as Louisville],” he said. [Donovan] is a great coach, Hall of Fame coach, going to put me in the right position to score and be successful.”

After USA Basketball, Blakeney will attend several Nike stops, including the Kevin Durant and LeBron James Skills Academies and the Peach Jam.
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Coincidently UF has yet to sign a player that Donovan coached for USA basketball. [Donovan did select Frazier last summer, but UF had already signed him.]
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    That is rather strange insti. Sean Miller is one of Donovan's assistants now and the USA scrimmages there look like an Arizona mini camp with Trier, Johnson, Briscoe, Smith and others. Actually I don't think Smith made it, but they have a ton of commits and prospects there. We have Blakeney and that's pretty much it, as far as serious interest
  4. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Yeah I though when he first took the USA basketball gig, it would help UF. Now I am in a show me mode on it helping with any recruit.
  5. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,219
    Miller isn't above board
  6. Msgreentea

Msgreentea Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    I am convinced it helps recruiting, but only because it raises his overall reputation, kind of like companies do generic advertising but can't attach it to sales. It obviously hasn't been a recruiting pipeline.
  7. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Yes 108, I know Miller cheats.
  8. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    Bull is said we won't get this kid
  9. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    He's only coached it twice (2012 & 2013). Some of the HS kids on the team are already committed elsewhere by then. The 2013 team was U19 and had college players on the roster too. There was a time when Randle to UF was looking good. If UK doesn't enter the picture, I think he would have signed here. The fact remains, a U18 national team roster is generally not a jackpot of available star recruits. It's made up of incoming & outgoing HS seniors, the majority of whom are already committed and/or signed. We have not fared well with all star caliber players who wait until very late to commit. Billy's obviously not doing this job to recruit, but if he keeps doing it I'm sure a recruit or two will eventually end up at UF.
  10. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
  11. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +41
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Not sure why anyone would make that statement, given that Blakeney is an Orlando kid. Unless we're expected to be too crowded at shooting guard.
  13. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +368
    He apparently wants immediate and lots of playtime, and his "handlers" are pushing him to a school where that's possible. We'll be somewhat crowded with Fraizer, Francis, Graham, Carter, etc. I think Francis and Blakeney are similar types of players as well.