Billy: "We are drastically worse defensivly"

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Oct 15, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    Jason Lieser @PBPjasonlieser
    Gators coach Billy Donovan: "We are drastically worse defensively than we were last year."

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    This is just motivation because you lost Murphy, Rosario, and KB. KB was an excellent defender but Murphy and Rosario were below average defenders. It is hard to believe that Harris and Finney-Smith are worse than Murphy and Rosario.
  3. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Exactly, I just laughed at the idea that UF has added Harris and lost Murphy who was a solid defender but not great and could be dramatically worse defensively. No doubt Boynton is a huge defensive loss, but my view is that a starting line up of Wilbekin, Frazier, Finney-Smith, Harris and Young could be the best defensive team in UF history. Of course I do not know much about Finney-Smith's defense and know that Frazier had a long way to go defensively as a frosh.

Still let's look at it player by player:

1. Wilbekin: Defensive star
    2. Young: Solid defender
    3. Yeguete: Solid defender
    4. Harris: Could be another defensive star but maybe he is free lancing too much for blocks and Donovan wants him playing more team D.
    5. Prather: Can be good but has had a tendency to get lost a bit through out his career.
    6. Finney-Smith: Has the tools but is an unknown.
    7. Frazier: Not great defensive tools but better than Humprhey, he can if he concentrates be a good defender. He is a drop off from Boynton and some of Donovan's point I am sure.
    8. Graham: Better tools, ie. better athleticism with equal size, to Frazier, but an unknown.
    9. D.Walker: Decent tools and did not seem terrible on D last year.
    10. Hill: A true frosh so of course he is terrible on D to start.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Coaches may look like they're fielding questions from the media, but much of the time they're really thinking - what message can I send to the players?
  5. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
  6. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    I agree with this.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  7. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Exactly. Nothing to see here.
  8. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,100
    Rosario actually held his own last year

He made a serious transformation to being a team player
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    I don't think this is all such a ploy. One of the key reasons for our defensive success last year was the continuity: seven of the top eight in our rotation played extended minutes the previous season. We have seldom boasted that. The fact that they were also mostly very athletic and versatile kids helped, too. But the experience and familiarity meant we could do some of the stuffy Donovan loves, from different presses to switching defenses late in the shot clock or in different situations (sideline, out under, made basket, etc.).

Losing three vets hurts, but on top of that you have a couple of kids out with injury to start practice and four others facing early season suspensions. It is and will be a work in progress.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    This team will be nasty defensively.
  11. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +336
    All that stuff ^
  12. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    How serious shoud we take this given the statement was made with the following out of practice... Yugette, Harris, Frazier, Carter, C. Walker. Thats a good majority of the better defensive players that will play this season.
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,559
    I think "solid defender" is an understatement for Yeguete. I think he's amazing in how much of a general disruptive force he is on defense (when healthy). Of course, as mentioned, he's not practicing yet.

I didn't realize Harris wasn't practicing (per LetItFly). Why is that? (Edit: nevermind - I just saw the info on Harris in another thread)

Also not practicing yet is Walker who looked like a very good defender/basket protector in the all-star games.

Seems like we've got enough to be pretty good defensively - but to be great defensively also requires the "connectivity" that Donovan preaches and is searching for right now.
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    Coach D says that we are going to be much worse defensively? Dang. Maybe he needs to suspend himself for smoking some bad weed.
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    Rserina is correct in the sense of continuity.
    That said, I fully expect this to be an excellent defensive team by march. And excellent could be modest.
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    I am sort of with rserina here. Billy is a coach, but he is also a fairly straight shooter. If for no other reason than last year's defense was so other-worldly, I expect a noticeable step down this year. That said, Young was sort of the cornerstone of our D, in my opinion, so having him back could go a long way to getting us a great D nonetheless.

By way, what are you sporting in your avatar, aka, a tuna?
  17. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    1. Yeah, I want not sure whether to be more effusive in my positive description of Yeguete. He has had leg issues for two years, is not ready yet, is a bit undersized and his game has never really been athleticism. Still he is a very effective defender.

2. C. Walker like all frosh, particularly frosh bigs may be lost from time to time, on the other hand as you say he has the tools to be a rim protector.

3. I think using Donovan's term connectivity sums up defense quite nicely.

I also suspect that Donovan like having a high level defense again last year for the first time since 2006-07 and he is trying to keep that in his program.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403

I would consider Young much higher than a "solid defender"

He may not be a shot blocker but he is one of the best post defenders I've seen in the college game in the past few years and his rotations are always perfect.

A good portion of the credit for what we were defensively last year goes to Young.....
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,559
    Yep - good thoughts.

With Yeguete, it's not so much that he's a one-on-one defensive stopper, although he's pretty good (or "solid" to use your word) at that. WY is just so impressive in the way that he can be a constant "fly in the ointment" for the other team's offensive flow.

WY double teams so well. And, he's constantly getting his hands on the ball - he has sneaky long arms and if you "show" him the ball and he's within range, he is going to get his hands on it. Even if he doesn't actually steal the ball, he is often the cause of a team getting out of their flow, resulting in a shot clock violation or a rushed bad shot to beat the shot clock. I just think he's unlike any Gator I've ever seen in his ability to do that. So sad that he's had such injury trouble the last 2 seasons!
  20. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I think right now we just aren't all on the same page defensively and we're missing some key pieces. But this team has the potential to be one of the best in college basketball and one of the best Billy has coached if they all buy in on that side of the ball. This is the most athletic and long team Billy has had in awhile.
    • Like Like x 1