"Billy D on paying players" (Brockway article)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Sep 12, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I watch the Olympics and the women's sports there too, but how many people are paying to see them on campus? Not nearly enough to come close to supporting even 1 student on scholarship, much less the same number as we have in football and basketball for men, the 2 revenue generating sports.

People vote with their dollars and as we have it now, men are the main (not the only of course, but the majority) viewers of sports and they aren't paying to see women. Basically, Title IX is the reason we dominate women's sports in the Olympics, but that's not a very good reason to give women scholarships.

But college athletics beyond the intramural or club level are just silly in my opinion. People should come for an education and have everything else secondary not for sports.
  2. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    How many people pay to see the men's tennis team, or men's cross country team, or men's golf team?
  3. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Title IX has NOTHING to do with spectators. It has to do with providing equal opportunity to PARTICIPATE in university activities--music, theatre, athletics, being a Medical student. The feds or the state aren't forcing any university to offer a debate program, an engineering degree, or athletics. But, if it does offer a program, there is no discrimination (beyond allowed discrimination based on ability). Oh, and they can't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, or natural origin. Given that restriction what would possibly allow them to discriminate based on whether what's between someone's thighs is an innie or an outie.
  4. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I mentioned the non-revenue men's sports. They should be cut as well and become intramural sports.

Title IX has a lot to do with spectators and a lot with participation. It doesn't mandate equal programs for participation, it mandates equal scholarships, meaning the men's revenue sports end up supporting sports whether people want to participate or not.

So say 90% of men enjoy playing sports and 20% of women do. Well it doesn't matter because women get equal scholarships and athletic departments have to support all of those scholarships, so even though men want to participate more, they can't. Once they have to start paying players, the departments will be even more broke and that's what will bring down college athletics.
  5. Gatorgal04

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Equal scholarships doesn't result in equal participation? Do we have scholarships laying around that no one showed an interest in?
  6. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Scholarships do not equal participation. Go look at intramurals, highschool sports, recreational neighborhood sports, etc, and you will see that the participation rate is much higher for boys than for girls.
  7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,264
    That's true.

I think we may have "equal participation" (or at least that's apparently the goal), but not equal opportunity. With equal numbers of scholarships, women have much greater opportunity, because they are competing against a much smaller population of sports enthusiasts for those scholarships.

It's great to see how much women's sports have grown in the last few decades, but I think Title IX takes it too far. Or, they could take it just a bit farther and go to total equality and not have separate men's and women's sports. But, that would really dampen women's participation in most sports as they exist today.
  8. Gatorgal04

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Is participation at the intramurals, high schools, rec centers, etc. a cause or effect? Do they offer girls as many positions/sports to participate in as the boys?
  9. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    It would certainly make a good study or research project.
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,264
    I'm just thinking of situations where no positions are offered. Such as, the basketball court at the playground; seldom see pickup games with many girls playing. Seldom see girls in pickup football games - although that's understandable since female football leagues don't exist. See a lot more girls in the surfing lineups these days than in the Gidget years (when I started :happy:), but still a small percentage of the total surfers.

Just based on personal experience, I think there are a lot more guys like me who grow up dreaming of (and practicing/playing all the time) playing sports at a high level of competition than girls do. Maybe that's all social conditioning and maybe that's changed since I was in school. But, like I said, I still see boys dominating the numbers at the parks when I drive by.