"Billy D on paying players" (Brockway article)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Sep 12, 2013.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    I know, I know, dead horse here, but any time a big name coach speaks up on this subject I try and pay close attention.

http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/12152/billy-d-on-paying-players-college-landscape-has-changed/

Some quotes from BD:

Technically, Billy isn't really saying much here. But, its hard to me to read this and think he's against athletes getting any kind of compensation. If I'm correct about this (big IF maybe), then its also hard for me to think that a stipend would fix the kinds of issues Billy brings up in the above quotes.

Surely many of you are more familiar than I am with Billy's personality, but from what I've seen, he appears to understate or undersell his feelings much of the time. He's not out to shock people - quite the opposite. This is more reason why I think he probably feels more strongly about this than he's willing to speak publicly about. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Its hard to disagree with his statements though - however cautious they may have been.
  2. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I can't disagree with him. The problem as I see it, isn't that paying athletes would be bad for them, it is that the number of athletics that would be cut as a whole would be bad for college athletics in general.

Lets say you give a large stipend to football and basketball players....you are going to have to cut a lot of smaller sports to pay for that even at a school like UF.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    I agree. Big problem. I think any possible solution would have its problems, but hopefully lesser problems as opposed to greater ones. We've discussed in other threads the possibility of just letting athletes profit on their own - apart from schools. The schools wouldn't be out any money. This could be as regulated as you wanted it to be. This is what I hope for. Its really the only alternative to schools paying players. There's no way a school can give a star player his market value. Schools will be out money and cheating will continue anyway. I'd have to wonder if Billy wouldn't actually be for something closer to the Olympic model.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    In addition you probably legally must give the same stipend to all athletes if you give one to any. I wonder if you could means test it?
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    I don't think that all college athletes would need to get equal treatment, but players within a particular sport might. Football will be expensive.

The really big concern will be Title IX. That will be hard to overcome.
  6. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    And what do you do with the David Lees and Jo Noahs who come from very comfortable situations?
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Maybe sometimes their friends on the team pick up the tab?
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,945
    I agree with the people who say, okay we give them some spending money. But that is a drop in the bucket in relation to the hundreds of thousands or millions that they can make in the pros. You really can't pay them close to what the elite players are worth. So where does it end?

But I think this silliness of getting a free meal or trip makes you ineligible has got to stop.
  9. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Let the ones who can find a job playing basketball go and play for pay if they want to and let those who want to be gators play for an education. As long as the playing field is equal between the schools the competition will be great and I will cheer for my gators.
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    I agree with this. Lost in this debate is the fact that no one is forcing these kids to partake in college athletics.... Or play for free. They are choosing to do so bc of the opportunities it provides, experiences it offers and stage it sets.
  11. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    But keep in mind that this is probably even more of a problem in football than it is basketball. There, too, it is a rule imposed by the professional league. But unlike basketball, very few are physically ready for the pros - yet (just like basketball) they have tremendous value at the college level and tremendous earning potential in the future.

I don't believe that, because they could technically go over seas or to the d-league, things are necessarily set up fairly in college. The other options are, for most kids, poor enough options that going to college for a year or two is actually still the best option (this is just bball - as football is a whole other issue). IMO at least, this doesn't excuse college athletics from operating in the most fair manner possible. I dont' believe this means providing players with stipends. I'm not sure why that is always the go-to solution when it solves so little.
  12. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Are they being forced? No...but they are certainly being manipulated to go there. If it was an open playing field they would be able to go to the NBA right away.

Instead the choices are:
    a) Go to college
    b) Move to a foreign country for a year at the age of 18 to play basketball
    c) Do nothing and wait a year to be drafted

Which one of those is viable for a majority of players? So while they aren't being forced it is two poor choices vs one good one.
  13. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    I dont think it is as much a player problem but a parent and "uncle" problem. I dont believe that kids on scholarship go hungry or cant go to the movies. I find it interesting that somehow they have thousands of $$$ in Tats. I believe the parents and relatives are the ones that are seeing the amount of money just at games and wondering why they cant afford to get to the games. Look at Flucker, his family was displaced by Katrina and was dirt poor.
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    Fair enough, but then I would ask you and REM . . . Is your gripe not then with the NBA and its rule?
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    No question about it. But that's only if we're talking basketball. Football would be in the same situation either way.
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    CBS also wrote about Billy and this subject - http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...on-payforplay-and-current-college-environment

The part I bolded is what I have to think is a coach's biggest fear these days.
  17. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    When I was at UF I worked in an office that needed labor that was related to my major. As an OPS student I was paid for my hours not to exceed 38 hours per week, if I remember that correctly.

It was minimum wage but the number of hours added up to a decent paycheck for a kid working himself through school.

These athletes are working for the university and are putting in regular hours. They should be paid for those hours. If they can get Pell grants on top of that, all the better. It's not thousands of dollars per check but it is hundreds and it's regular the whole time they are playing.
  18. 4everaGator

4everaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
  19. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    One problem is Title IX. Mandating that women get as many scholarships for athletics is absurd. What greater good does that serve society? No one wants to watch them, so why should we pay for their school when 25% of the world's population are better than them at their sport (that 25% being any male who is mildly athletic.)

The same goes for any non revenue generating sport. If someone can't get into college on their own merits, then they shouldn't be there on athletic scholarship unless it brings something back to the university. Now, for private schools with unlimited endowments, a la Harvard, they can give out their money as they see fit.

Forcing schools to pay the same stipend to all athletes is also bunk. Schools don't have to give the same scholarships to the not so smart kids as the smart ones, so why are athletes treated differently?
  20. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    I want to watch them.