Bill aims to stop employers from conducting credit checks

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by busigator96, Dec 19, 2013.

1. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    You forgot another classic type.

That would be the "Evil employers who exist to serve employees are doing something I regard as unfair, so the federal government must outlaw the practice, and the impact on employers be damned" sort.
  2. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,190
    Same as those jerks who make them consider minorities. Stalinists!
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    I see the technical destinction you are making, but in practice, what's the difference between a law saying bank tellers must have a credit check and fingerprints to be a bank teller vs. mortgage brokers must have a license w/credit check to be a mortgage broker? You can't get the job without a credit check in either case. Isnt any law/regulation not an "employment decision" since its a decision made by the government? If your argument is that freedom is being taken from employers, then I agree. But that is one I would be happy to deny them. It would appear that they have the same level of freedom as the government in pursuing credit checks too if this were to pass, i.e. limited, but open to the law making process when & where need arises.
  4. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    Not only handling large sums of money. What about people who work in jobs that deal with classified or proprietary information, whether that info is for the gov't or their company? A credit check would be able to alert the company to a potential security risk.

I doubt this bill will be able to pass the House, based on common sense. But, if it does, I hope to God the Senate kills it, as the current Idiot-in-Chief is sure to sign it. He doesn't care what harm it could or would cause the business or country.
  5. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    It's very apparent you have never run a business and know absolutely nothing of what you are talking about. Information is even more precious to certain businesses than the current income.

What about someone working in the drug industry with access to the latest R&D from Glaxo? They could then, based on the need for money, steal the R&D and sell it to a competing company (corporate espionage, anyone?). That new drug could bring in a hell of a lot more income in a couple of years than the income the company is currently making.

Your entire world view is completely out of focus. So, please, if you ever apply for a job, ensure that you tell the company that you post here under fredsanford, as I damn well want to ensure I never hire someone who is as delusional about the country and world as you are.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    And what makes you think that an HR dept would not take those circumstances into account? They do.

I had a bad credit score at one time, yet when I went to get a new job, the company I applied to, Verizon LD (the long-distance portion of Verizon) checked my credit score, then questioned me on it. They asked why it was slow low and I was able to explain. They also showed that even though my credit score was low, that I had been making payments to get out of debt and working with a credit restoration company fo approximately 3 years.

Needless to say, I got the job.

Credit checks are done, but just because a person has bad, even extremely bad, credit does not mean that they will not get a job. They had just better be able to explain the situation and what they have been doing to correct it. If they can't, then it is an indicator that they are not suitable for certain jobs.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,882
    And, of course, third party evaluation of credit worthiness is equivalent to race.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    A company that hires a person frequently trusts them with hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars of intellectual property, not to mention tangible assets. You don't want to wonder if someone is embezzling from you to maintain a lifestyle their paycheck will not cover. A credit check will not guarantee that someone will or will not steal from their employer, or shirk their responsibilities, but it is an indication of how a person handles responsibility.

It's not that hard to get a decent credit score, especially if you live within your means and pay your bills on time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Well said.