1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Bigs Next Year...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFnuts, Apr 6, 2014.

1. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +863
    I agree with almost all of what you said.
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    About this post and a couple others you made, it reminds me of a post Pomeroy made a few years ago. The elite schools seem to not know what to do with tweeners. Guys who are too big or small for that position defensively, but a mismatch on offense. The elite schools tend to bring those guys off the bench. He pondered why a mid-major coach did not intentionally try to find those guys and offer them starters minutes. As a group, you could have a bunch of mismatches on the offensive end while still covering all of the positions on defense. A guy who's 6'8 playing PG but guards the 3 spot while your shooting guard defends the 1 and your SF on offense defends the 2.

The same could work out for us here: Murphy plays a stretch 4 on offense and Robinson plays a face-up 3 down low. On defense, Murphy guards the 4 and Robinson the 3. We get a mismatch on offense since one of the post guys has to come out and guard or gets beats with quickness inside. Of course, that's predicated on Murhpy being able to shoot from outside, which you indicate is not his strong suit.

Who knows, just something cool to think about.
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    Murphy has very nice form on his outside shot. I expect him to be one of our better perimeter shooters.
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +669
    One given about Duke is...K just doesn't recruit guys who can't shoot.
  5. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +286
    DFS, after seeing film of him at VT, his shooting wasn't very good from 3 pt land. This year after being with the Gators nearly two years, his shooting wasn't very good again. Streaky, a couple of good games, but a lot of disappearing acts. Of course he was a good rebounder and a pretty good defender. His driving to the hoop and finishing needs work, his 3 pt shooting needs someone like Teddy to straighten out his shot. Napier was gold for UConn in that he could score consistently on anybody. Daniels, their wing, could hit threes and drive and finish. DFS needs to stay at power forward and only shoot from the outside if the shot clock is winding to the end. Otherwise drive to the hoop or dish off and learn a shot close to the hoop, a pull up or a jump hook, something he could get a better percentage on. We need a inside option next year that can be reliable.
  6. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    I can guarantee that you will not see Robinson playing the 4 against teams with size like Kentucky will have (and always seems to have), or many other SEC and other conference teams. He may be incredibly strong and athletic, but you simply can't give up 35-45 lbs and expect to handle the physical match up.
  7. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    Robinson won't be starting next year, barring some kind of disaster, so his relative lack of size won't necessarily dictate where he plays.
  8. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    Im willing to bet Robinson starts at the 3 next year. Absolutely zero chance its devon walker and we will not have 3 guards so that leaves Robinson who is an ideal 3 or DFS. Robinson has the body of a 3 and the size of a stretch 4. He is going to be our best freshman and will add much needed offense from day 1.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    I agree that Devon Walker won't start, but my guess is DFS, Harris and Chris Walker at the frontcourt spots.
  10. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Why not 3 guards? Hill, Fraizer, and Carter.
  11. LetItFly

Ratings Received:
    +532
    To start, nobody knows how much carter will be able to contribute. He could be fully healed and still not back to anywhere close to his Rurgers
    days. Second, to play 3 guards would require all 3 to shoot relatively good. Chances of Hill and Carter getting that much better is not highly likely, but is possible. 3rd, Robinson will be a better shooter than carter, provide a great deal more size and athleticism helping more on offense, defense, and rebounding. 4th, we will need Carter to play both the pg and sg positions as a backup. 5th, a small 3 guard lineup is usually played out of necessity, which I believe between Robinson and DFS we will not need 3 guards as starters, but could see at times during the game. I have more but I think I have already written too much.
  12. LetItFly

Ratings Received:
    +532
    As long as Harris makes it through Billys stipulations n
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +905
    Not enough size to defend a team with quality wing players
  14. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    I think DFS would be a terrific starter at SF, but I think we will need his minutes at PF given how thin we will be in the post and how many different players we have who can play the wing (Frazier II, Carter, D. Walker, D. Graham, B. Francis). We aren't going to have all 5 of those guys getting their minutes at one position.

A Hill, Carter, Frazier 3-guard lineup would run 6-1, 6-2, 6-4, which is not ideal, but hardly terrible. We were under that when we had Walker-Boynton-Beal in 2012 and Walker-Boynton-Rosario in 2013.
    Carter shot 35% and 32% from three in his two seasons at Rutgers by the way.
  15. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +286
    Devon Robinson is just what the doctor order at the 3. No 3 guard lineups unless we are challenged by a team with something like this. Robinson is skinny, but he can shoot from anywhere. Plus being 6'8', that would allow him some rebounds. DFS can't shoot consistent enough to be shooting threes from the outside unless there is a big turnaround. We need him playing PF and working on a mid range shot and finishing at the rim. We will have three fresh men that can shoot, add Carter, DWalk, these guys I will go on the record saying that these freshmen will provide a lot of scoring in their Florida careers, Robinson and Francis can fill it up. These two have confidence in their offensive arsenals, something Bradley Beal had. I can't wait to see them get minutes and grow into Cat killing alligators! LOL
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,296
    Unless you're a freak of nature like Ralph Sampson was....and Robinson IS.
    Desire has as much to do with it as talent does and Devon is clearly talented.
  17. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    I agree that Robinson would be an ideal SF in our system, but I'm just not sure if he'll be ready to start there as a freshmen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    This is correct. DFS may "start" at SF if Billy wanted CWalker and Harris to both start as well, but most of his minutes are likely to come at the PF position where we will need him more. We'll have plenty of guys capable of playing the SF position and more of a need at the PF position.
  19. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    This discussion also brings home the importance of adding another big in this class like Horford or Mourning (Mourning seems increasingly unlikely).

If we do not land another big in this class and must wait until January for Murphy, then we will start off with only Harris, Walker and Finney Smith at the pf and C positions. I think that would dictate playing Smith largely in relief at the 4 position and either going to a smaller lineup or Robinson/D.Walker at the 3.

As others have pointed out, Donovan has gone to three guards (Frazier at SF) before and could opt for more shooting and less of an interior presence.

My guess is that if we are full strength we'll see Harris, Walker and Finney Smith as starters with Donovan mixing in different lineups including the three guard offense at times.
  20. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    The stronger Robinson gets, the quicker he'll make an impact.