Bigs Next Year...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFnuts, Apr 6, 2014.

1. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    It seems to me that a lot of our hope next season is going to hinge on Walker coming back for his sophomore year and Harris not flaking out again. If just one of them isn't on the team next year, we are in big trouble. Even in the best case scenario if you assume that they both play next year, we would have just three bigs in DFS, Walker, and Harris.

Robinson and Murphy look more like 3's to me, not really 4's. I know a lot of folks have DFS slated to start at the 3 next year, and he might indeed "start" and play some minutes there but from what I saw this year we're going to be better off with him getting most of his minutes at the 4 given our lack of numbers there and with plenty of other options at the 3.

I see DFS getting most of his minutes at the 4, Harris getting most of his minutes at the 5, and Walker splitting between the two. Something like this:

PF - DFS (25 mins) & Walker (15 mins)
    C - Harris (25 mins) & Walker (15 mins)

Maybe Robinson and/or Murphy play some 4 too but I would expect the three above players to get the majority of the minutes at those two positions. Which means we really really need both Walker and Harris to be on this team next year.
  2. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Murph will play more 4 than 3.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    This will easily be the best shot-blocking Gator team since the 2007.
  4. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Murphy will play plenty of four. If Walker and Harris are on board, we will be in great shape.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    Hard to imagine 30 minutes a game for Walker unless they increase foul limit to 10.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,396
    I'm operating from a depressed perspective, but I'm struggling to see where we score from next year. That really concerns me.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Yes, that is depressed. Scoring won't be a problem. We have a great pass distributing point guard returning in Hill, a phenomenal perimeter shooter in Frazier, a floor spacing stretch four in DFS, a great pick and roll finisher in C. Walker, and if you add a healthy Carter and Graham, an improved D. Walker, a very offensively skilled face up four in Murphy, and three offensively skilled freshmen in Chiozza, Francis, and Robinson, I think scoring will be fine. We will have shooters and scorers all over the place. Defense, leadership, and experience will be a different story.
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,396
    ^^^ you make me feel better, but devils advocate:

Hill has shown very little perimeter ability. DFS has been far too inconsistent to generate much confidence. Frazier is excellent when open, but struggles to get into that position
    often enough.... and will be increasingly focused on with Wilby gone. Walker is obviously extremely raw with limited
    offensive arsenal. Graham shot horrendously in his debut season. Murphy, Carter and Harris are promising..... But have their question marks. I have no inisght relating to the freshmen.
    This seasons squad struggled to put the ball in the hoop at times... And is losing a significant scoring punch.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Fortunately, AKA, we don't have to play with the same kids next year. They will improve. I never imagined a day prior to this year when Wilebkin would be a pick and pop threat or an elite scorer in the lane, or when Prather would drop 15+ with regularity as he did the first half of the season.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,396
    ^ very , very true.
  12. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,331
    I can't believe people are depressed about the possibilities next year. I am super-hyped. We're in very good position to make a very good transition. I'm just hoping Skywalker can handle the books and dedicate himself to the upcoming season in all aspects. Everything else, IMHO, will take care of itself. The shooting, the defense, the chemistry, etc.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Very true. Billy and staff have done wonders in the area of player development. I expect Hill, Frazier, DFS, and Walker to improve and expand their games offensively. Perhaps not as dramatically as Scottie and Prather this year, but improvement nonetheless. It appears we will have plenty of shooters, which should help with spacing. And while we won't be as good defensively, lacking elite on-ball defenders, we will have better rim protectors. Perhaps we won't need to double the post so frequently as a result. This is, of course, assuming we have Harris and Walker. Let's all cross our fingers on that.
  14. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    Interior post D will be the key...we had PY and WY and they were by far elite post defenders. Walker and DFS are nowhere near the level of post D that we will need. Harris would be...so he will be needed badly for this.
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +438
    according to one source the deadline to declare for the NBA draft is April 27. I guess we will know Chris Walker's intentions within 3 weeks.
  16. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    If everybody shows up, we will have some offense. maybe another big up front would be nice, maybe a transfer that would be eligible or a high school forward center who is tough. Looking forward to see how all this rolls out. I agree with Aka on Frazier and getting open, he struggles with his shake and bake to get open. Standing around waiting for the ball seems to me Francis could get most of his minutes. Devon Robinson is the key. If he can hold down the three and Murphy can score from the three or four position, these two scoring at a good clip will open it up a little for the guards. A lot of ifs! If nothing else, it will be exciting to see this new team find its way.

I guess it is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Final Four 2014, SEC Champions!
    If you told me this is what would happen in 2014, I would have been feelin great, and even with the way it ended, it's one for the gator record books! 2015 I think the SEC brothers are wondering what is Billy going to come with next!
    We now have their attention.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Sure, and we won't be anywhere near as good. I don't expect us to be. But the talent is there to be quite good. I mean, how dangerous would Walker be with 10-15 pounds of added muscle, a summer's worth of our strength team's workouts, and little jump hook?
  18. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    It's actually April 15th if you don't hire an agent. This is what Jabari Brown is doing.
  19. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    Next year's team will be much different, but has the potential to be deeper and more explosive on both ends of the court.

Offensively - MFII, Carter, Graham, and Robinson will significantly improve our outside game and will make us a much better 3 point team. Further, I see Walker, Doe Doe, and Robinson making us more explosive around the rim. I anticipate Walker returning, and if Doe Doe continues to develop then we will be solid.

Defensively, Walker, Robinson, and Harris (if he continues to follow the right path) will make us a dominant shot blocking team which will allow us to run teams off of the 3 point line and force the action inside.

I really like the depth and potential of next year's group. This will be the most talented and offensively/athletically explosive team we have had since 2007. Obviously a lot of question marks but Donovan has proven he develops players and can deal with turnover on his roster. I foresee another great year for the Gators.
  20. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,645
    No need to rewrite what has already been said but I think we will be better offensively after the guys have some games under their belts. In fact we may be quite a bit better in that aspect. Defense is a wait and see game. Of course all of this is contingent on our expected personnel.
    • Agree Agree x 1