Big reason why Mullen left MSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jhbyrd, Mar 11, 2018.

1. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,541
    I heard it was all those dam cowbells.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    It takes BOTH coaching and talent. That is why these coaches get paid so much. FSU just paid a boat load for a good recruiter but let's see how well he can coach.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,694
    This was my Gripe on Jimbo. Plenty of Talent but a Star goes down and they collapse.

Taggart at USF had other peoples Talent.

Mullen managed a fairly good team with less talent.

UF dropped precipitately after Mullen left.

Yeah, I may be overly optimistic but it works for me. (Accept on TOO Hot)
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,644
    You are overly optimistic. There was a little known guy named Urban Meyer that all those players committed to and a couple generational players named Tebow and Harvin. Keep that on the down low though.

One thing CDM seems to be good at is tailoring his offense around player talents. If he can just get the great players to commit we can light it up again. I think he has a few on roster that will showcase to offensive recruits what could happen with the right players... but he has to make believers out of the recruits he wants.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    Mullen recruited Tebow also. Tebow's leadership skills and ability to get the tough yard are off the charts. Emory Jones has a better throwing motion than Tebow.

Dont know who recruited Harvin. Harvin had attitude and injury issues but his talent was off the charts. Toney has good moves like Harvin but is not as strong and fast.
  6. NOLAGATOR

Ratings Received:
    +5,694
    But look at what we played like without Mullen? Tebow was still playing. Now I know Harvin made a huge difference BUT even with the talents and wins in Timmy's last year, it was hard for me to watch. IT was not the same team without Mullen.

We missed out several times on Charlie Strong, Mullen, and SOS when he left the Redskins.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. NOLAGATOR

Ratings Received:
    +5,694
    This is easy:

Starkville, MS vs Gainesville, FL do you need to even to ask?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,535
    Staff...it was hinted at earlier but I think there are overlooked aspects.

Obviously it is important to have talented assistants. Obviously it is important to have assistants that can haul in recruits.

I think it's also important to have staff cohesion. All these alpha male psycho dramas that tear apart a staff, tear apart a team. I think CDM having a talented staff that has been with him, that he trusts, that is likely to stay a while, and doesn't go rogue on violations...that kind of stuff isn't sexy to talk about, but it's how you build success.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +598
    We all know about the 4-8 season from 2013, but I don't recall the record of that second losing season...
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. eightiesgator

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I think Larry Fedora gets a strong assist in recruiting Tebow, if memory serves. And in fairness to Emory and Toney, I don't think it is fair to compare them to Tebow and Harvin...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. eightiesgator

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I for one am glad we missed out on Strong. Three straight losing seasons at a school with all the advantages Florida has will not go away...

But people forgets we had a top ten offense (6th) in 2009 without Mullen. I also remember Mullen forcing Chris Leak into a system completely unsuitable for him, and the infamous Mullen playcall spinner. Let's not pretend he turned into an offensive guru...
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,803
    You lost me with this one
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,352
    My hope and expectation is that CDM will field a Gator team this year that can and will give Georgia a run for their money. I expect the WLOCP to be the defacto game for the SEC East title. I expect to see steady improvement on offense as CDM installs his offense; improvement in recruiting as the program gathers momentum; measurable gains in S&C and a stable coaching staff. I hope to see no less in 2018 than an 8-4 season and a close game in Jacksonville and a bowl win. By the 2019 season the Gators should be very competitive with GA and have at least a 9,10 win season and maybe even an SECE title. 2020 should see the Gators winning the recruiting battle in Florida and a distinct uptick in star ratings and player development and an SEC championship. I think by 2020 CDM should and will have a shot at the playoffs. By the end of the 2021 season there should be NCAA championship rings all over Gainesville. That's all I can think of Lord.......Amen.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    How out of left field is Fedora being responsible for Tebow at UF? Larry Fedora was at Oklahoma State in 2005! Tebow committed to UF at the very end of 2005. Tebow started at UF in 2006 I have never heard Tebow quote Fedora as a reason why he went to UF. During Tebow's senior high school year Fedora was at OKLAHOMA state!

With QB coach Mullen's version of the spread offense at UF in 2005 it seemed the logical choice. While Tebow passed for over 7,600 yards his final two seasons in high school, he also rushed for over 2,300. It was clear Tebow was a dual-threat QB, and his size meant he’d be able to become a power runner at the next level. Meyer/ Mullen's offense looked plenty appealing to the top recruit. This has nothing to do with Fedora's UF pro system in 2004.

Nothing unfair comparing Mullen recruits to each other. People compare all of Mullen's different types of QBs all the time. People who know Tebow know that his throwing motion was not his strength and Jones has a very smooth throwing motion. Tebow was better at leadership than almost anyone. It shows Mullen has had success with different types of QB. Your Fedora comment shows you will pull things out of nowhere to criticize Mullen.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. NOLAGATOR

Ratings Received:
    +5,694

I like Charlie Strong. He proved himself at UL and USF. TX was/is it's own issue. It's not all Coaching.

And Forcing LEAK into what? The last time I checked we won a NC and we used Timmy to do what Chris could not. It shows me the ability to ADAPT - Something lacking at UF over the last 8 years.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,291
    Fedora?

Mattison was Tebow's primary recruiter here. It was also Mattison who now famously told Meyer 'If we don't get Tim, that will set our program back 10 to 15 years."
  17. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,509
    This.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NOLAGATOR

Ratings Received:
    +5,694
    upload_2018-3-15_9-26-24.jpeg

Just Sayin:cool:
  19. NOLAGATOR

Ratings Received:
    +5,694
  20. eightiesgator

Ratings Received:
    +598
    How so, Skink? The Strong comment or the Mullen?