Big Deal: Pinkins Goes to Work on UF Frontcourt

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, May 22, 2018.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21,282

Simmons was first team all American
    First team All-SEC
    SEC Freshman of the Year
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigsky rooter

bigsky rooter Junior

Ratings Received:
    +23
    I'm sure I said he regressed during his time @ LSU. I did NOT say he wasn't good. Since you listed some of his honors, I will give you a couple more. He was a pre-season 1st team all-american (AP). Due to the great college coaching he dropped to 2nd team after the season.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,051
    What's your point? Pinkins coached Simmons for a single season. Are you saying a freshman who dropped from preseason 1st team AA to postseason 2nd team is somehow an indicator of bad coaching (by an assistant, mind you)?
    Geez, the kid was the top draft pick and is a future star in the NBA. If you're hell-bent upon critiquing an asst coach's work with this caliber player, your motivation will come to question.
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +85
    Coming from an unbiased source here, I don't think he's saying Pinkins isn't a good coach, he's saying this is a bad example for making a point. Simmons was a top recruit out of high school with immense physical tools and did not even take his team (granted very bad team) to the tournament. I'm sure Pinkins helped some, but Simmons is also more of a tall PG so it's possible that coach P didn't even work with him the most out of LSUs assistants at the time. Again he's just saying this is a bad example for what coach P can actually do, hopefully coach P tells every recruit that he coached Simmons though lol.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,051
    That's a fair and friendly explanation. I tend to feel more like he's intent on pissing in the punch bowl.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,282
    Where is the second example? I think you were trying to imply that you can't judge Pinkins by his work with Simmons but what you listed is hardly an example of that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +85
    Haha it is possible, I tend to see comments without emotion in written form so I could be way off. I personally feel as if coach Pinkins coaching up Holloway and Buckner who both gave us fits at Ole Miss is a better indicator than his brief stint with Simmons. Especially since I can't imagine either was highly rated, and they were very solid. Whereas Simmons came in to college very highly touted and again was probably coached up by their guards coach as much or more than he was by Pinkins. All said and done I'm happy with the hire and think gator nation should be as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,514
    Have not had a good big man coach in a long time. Someone that could recruit and coach bigs was sorely needed in this staff. Hope he stays a while
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,324
    As far as I am concerned, if Coach White Selected him, then he will be somewhere between very good, and incredibly good. White is as Sharp as the Proverbial Tack.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bigsky rooter

bigsky rooter Junior

Ratings Received:
    +23
    Think orange @ blue said it pretty well. It's amazing how people respond to anything that's against the "official word". In this case that Pinkens did a great (good? ) job of coaching Simmons. I just happen to disagree. If that messes with the punch so be it.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,282
    No problem with your disagreeing and neither is there a problem with others disagreeing with what you write. It's all good.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,273
    My read on it is that Simmons is the marquee player that was coached, that is usually who the journalists will tab in stories like this....the casual fan may not know any of the other players that Pickens may have had a more impact on, in improving their play....
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,837
    Correct, Ben Simmons should be viewed as an outlier in any case. We've NEVER landed a player with Simmons's natural gifts. I'm more interested in what Coach Pickens can do with a project player.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,324
    sky, you are absolutely correct in this statement. As one who has almost always found fault with The Party Line it's really amazing just how much this upsets people's fragile emotions.

Regarding Pinkins, predictions are always risky and we always work from extremely limited knowledge. If he meshes well with the rest of the staff and helps the Gator Frontcourt, that will be terrific. If he merely helps keep it at the same level it's been, that will be disappointing, but OK. If the frontcourt suddenly deteriorates (which would be exceedingly hard to believe), that would suggest he's a questionable hire. However, all such things result from codependent origination and are not as simple to decipher as most people foolishly think. We do, however, LOVE TO LAY BLAME ON ONE PERSON, when everyone is part of everything.
  15. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +889
    Maybe this year, instead of releasing photos of guys fresh from an intense weight workout for fans to ooh and aah over, the UF staff will release photos of one of our bigs looming over a guy he just body-checked to the floor during a pre-season scrimmage. Doesn't trend as well, but a whole lot more relevant.
    • Creative Creative x 1