Big Bang theory skeptics outnumber believers in US

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by busigator96, Apr 23, 2014.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Because they Earth gets farther away from the sun, duh. I'm right, right?
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,899
    Yes, but as we get closer to the sun we, on the upper hemisphere, get colder (winter) because we tilt away from the sun.
  3. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,899
    I wonder if that's equal to the number of people skeptical about much of the bible? Both have their doubters. But I happen to believe in both.

Also... I'd like to know if there are the same amount of skeptics in the AGW arena as well... There should be large numbers of doubters there too.

Also, that was an interesting article until it gave more credence to the old fashioned steady state (flat earth) crap that's been a joke for decades. the problem with those people is that they don't believe in the beginning and possible end of our visible universe.... even thought it may not really begin nor end.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  4. FoxGator

FoxGator Sly as a Fox Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    A theory is a theory. All scientist should be skeptical of all theories. They should not believe a theory to be true but gather evidence that either supports the predictions of the theory, or not.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Haha, I knew someone would bite on that. Distance from the Sun has zero effect on the seasons. It's the tilt only.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Skepticism and doubt are mutually exclusive concepts.
  7. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    You addressed the consensus on Big Bang and I provided some relevant info. Is completely separate from people's belief, or lack thereof, in the Bible.
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,591
    When using the term "skepticism" this description from Wiki is what I am thinking of:

"Skepticism or scepticism (see American and British English spelling differences) is generally any questioning attitude towards knowledge, facts, or opinions/beliefs."
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,356
    It's only the tilt because Earth's orbit is nearly circular. The maximum distance is only a million or so miles greater than the minimum.

Mars has a more elliptical orbit and a greater variability in its distance from the Sun. As a result, the northern summer and southern winter are longer than the northern winter and southern summer. This is why its south polar ice cap is always substantial while the northern ice cap nearly disappears during the northern summer.

If Earth's orbit were the same shape as Mars's orbit, one hemisphere would be like Death Valley in July most of the year and the other like Siberia in January.

Just one more of a zillion hurdles that had to be cleared in order for us to exist.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,899
    I said it was the tilt... read much. I ONLY MENTIONED THE DISTANCE AS A REFERENCE IN WHERE THE EARTH IS WHEN IT TILTS CLOSEST TO THE SUN...
  11. FoxGator

FoxGator Sly as a Fox Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    I fixed your post, here.
  12. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Just to make this clear, it isn't that they don't emphasize the basics of science. It is that their students didn't learn them (or at least this one). I put UF students through the same line of questioning and got the same results. At USF as well. We certainly train this concept, but it turns out that it isn't getting through past the students preconceived notions.
  13. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    I was always skeptical of how Penny could afford to live alone in an apartment while working as a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    This sounds more like the type of skeptic who has rigid and preset attitudes and tends to simply reject anything that alters that paradigm.

When I'm using skeptic for APGW alrmists or related to "Big Bang skeptics", it is in the context of actual scientists or others who take contrarian views for more legitimate reasons based on evidence-based review of facts or scientific concerns about the underpinnings of a theory. Like my posting of the sea-level data on another thread...
  15. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +282

Maybe because the odds of life randomly evolving to something so complex & interconnected is slim to none & slim just left the building. You don't have to be particularly religious to come to that conclusion.
  16. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    And yet we see astronomically low odds outcomes occur all the time.
    • In 1980, Maureen Wilcox bought tickets with winning numbers both the Massachusetts lottery and the Rhode Island Lottery (unfortunately for her, she entered the winning Mass numbers in the RI lottery and vice versa).
    • In 2007, the Trinity football team beat Millsaps on a last second play that required 15 laterals to advance the ball 61 yards.
    • In 2001, 1993, and 1988, a man called John Woods narrowly escaped death in three separate world famous tragedies. (1) In 2001, he left his office at the World Trade Center seconds before 9/11 attack. (2) In 1993, he left the World Trade Center unharmed, even though he was in it during the bombing. (3) In 1988, he was scheduled to be on the Pan-Am flight that exploded above Lockerbie in Scotland, but canceled at the last minute.
    • Just this year, two girls from opposite sides of the country became friends at Tulane, only to find out that they share a South American sperm donor father.
    Must you be religious to believe that these didn't happen?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Sohogator

Sohogator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +574

No reasonable scientifically literate person on the planet agrees with this. To blow your mind there are over a billion earth like planets in our galaxy alone. It would be cool to see how intelligent life on some of those planets has evolved differently than us.
  18. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    Actually, there are a number of scientists who agree with this...who are "skeptical" that life can arise from non-life.

Basically, you have to believe that we came from rocks. That random constituents combined not only into molecules, but into respirating reproducing organisms. Keep in mind that RNA/DNA are information systems. The detailed information that has to be created, and then replicated, is enormous. The leap from non-life to life is a massive chasm.

Remember, Luis Pasteur's disproved spontaneous generation, proving that life does not come from non-life.
  19. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Indeed there are a number of biologists that agree, but the number is something on the order of fractions of a single percent. Of the hundreds of biologists I have met, I haven't yet ran into one of these people.

You are misunderstanding the Pasteur experiment. He showed that maggots are born from flies, which is extremely different than life cannot come from non-life.
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +741
    We don't know exactly how life started on Earth, true. It could have been true abiogenesis. Could also have been something from space contained some sort of seed, hit Earth, and then became alive. We know plant seeds can "survive" in space and be planted back on Earth and grow normally.

Regardless, if you want to talk math, when you add space and time, the chances of live arising on Earth don't seem so daunting. How long would life need to start? A second? Less than a second? Who knows, but what we do know is there are over 31,000,000 seconds a year. We also believe life started someone between 3.5 billion and 4.4 billion years ago. Even if the range is 100,000,000 years, and life needs a second to start, that equates to 3,100,000,000,000,000 seconds. And this is only part of the equation.

The other part of the equation is space. How much area on Earth would life need to arise? 1 cm squared? 1 mm squared? Assuming life only needs a minute space to start, take how many square mm there are between the tropics (assume early life prefers warmth), and that's the space needed. Multiply space times time and that's how many potential instances life could arise that exist. Ends up being a rather large number.