Biden vs Hillary in 2016- Vote for the Doofus

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Aug 30, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    For those on the left, who think Hillary as Prez is inevitable...something to chew on.

"Fast forward to the present, when we find it dawning on conservatives that, with both Hillary Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden preparing to run for president in 2016, a new bumper sticker could say, "Vote for the Doofus: It's Important!"

Many people seem to believe Hillary would have a much smoother path to her party's nod than the fumble-tongued veep (who once invited a man in a wheelchair to stand up and take a bow; said our most important priority was "a three-letter word, J-O-B-S"; and claimed Franklin D. Roosevelt had gone on television when the stock market crashed in 1929, before FDR was elected or TV sets existed).

But let's recall that Hillary's candidacy was seen as inevitable long before the 2008 race, too.

After Democrats took a good look at her, they selected an untried senator who had served just half a term in office and had no notable accomplishments on his record.
    Any attempt to counter a rival's record with a list of Hillary's own accomplishments runs up hard against the fact that, after years in the public eye, she has a nearly blank slate as senator and secretary of state.

Indeed, what isn't blank can be negative: Remember that she offered a silly "Reset" button to Vladimir Putin, which no doubt produced chuckles in the Kremlin, and falsely claimed that an obscure video caused the Benghazi attack in which four Americans died.

Her strident assertion of "What difference, at this point, does it make?" to congressional queries about the actual cause of that atrocity could well produce bumper stickers saying, "Vote for Hillary: What Difference Does It Make?""

http://www.pressherald.com/opinion/...id-faces-plenty-of-roadblocks_2013-08-30.html
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,029
    If that's the best they got they're in deep trouble.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    It probably is. And the sad thing is the Republicans will trot out something just as bad and we'll have another awful "choice."
  4. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Depends on how bad it is economically. If we trot out Chris Christy or Rick Santorum or a Lamar Alexander type, it will be a choice of bad or badder. Rubio to me is our version of Obama. He needs to run for governor, gain some executive experience, pay back his student loans and then possibly run for Prez.

Cruz is someone I'm curious about, because he seems to have balz. Some of the Pub governors are excellent but I'm not sure have the charisma needed in today's "tingly" media world.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Cruz would be a brand-new level of disaster.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,369
    I have a hard time believing he'd do well at all in a national election.
  7. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Maybe. I need to see more, learn more and watch how he handles himself. He has conviction. And he has balz. Pub party needs more of both. We trot out these "middle of the road" types (Dole, McCain, Romney) and they get beat. We don't need to go the Goldwater type but we do need someone with unshaken principles who can communicate and lead. Is Cruz it? Have no idea.
  8. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,768
    Cruz is on the list of people that actually might win (hint, RNC, hint Karl Rove: If a liberal who does not under any circumstance want the Republican nominee to ever actually win is telling you someone is a bad nominee... they are a good nominee). I want to see if Scott Walker will throw his name in, as well. They are probably the two I'm most interested in right now.

Christie is a guaranteed loss now that he's decided to make his public disdain for conservatives part of every public appearance when he owes his job entirely to conservatives. He'd just be McCain-Romney 3.0 -- a candidate so convinced on pitching for the hypothetical 20% in the middle that he alienates the actual base whose actual turnout will decide if he actually wins. I mean, because of his bombastic style and personality, he might, might be the last possible candidate who could limp across the finish line carrying that albatross of a campaign strategy around his neck, but it would be a narrow and flukey thing. The GOP ever seeing a Reagan like victory again will take a Reagan like candidate, the man who said this --

Give the GOP a candidate that the talking heads and columnists, from David Frum to David Brooks to Joe Scarborough to Karl Rove chew their fingers and stomp their feet and whine about for months on end, and around 11pm ET on election night you'll have all those guys looking like O.O when they see that candidate called as the 45th President of the United States.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    As someone who desperately wants the Republican Party to promote a Libertarian-leaning, quality candidate, Cruz is just in no way appealing. He's moving backwards in my estimate.
  10. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Me thinks you may be correct. If we are get beat, lets get beat on ideas of how to improve rather than trying to be frickin liked by all. That ain't happening.
  11. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,966
    I wouldn't mind Rubio or someone like Rand Paul. Other than them, I'm not terribly enthused by any of the obvious choices at this point, and the idea of a Hillary or Biden presidency makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Rubio + 3 years is a very appealing concept to me. The biggest thing against him is that stupid water thing. It doesn't get much more minor than that.
  13. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,768
    Yeah, the water thing is a bigger deal than him breaking faith with the aforementioned actual base of actual votes he needs to actually win. He's going to have his hands full with his Senate seat.
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Cruz is pretty savvy, he knows how to piss off the right people from liberals to John McCain, things the the GOP base loves. But nominating him for president would be electoral suicide.
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    But I'd take Rubio a thousand times before Cruz. I do not see that guy as remotely electable nor a particularly compelling guy on the fiscal, international and social matters that interest me most about right-leaning libertarians.
  16. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Cruz, to me is kind of like a Newt Gingrich, not really in terms of issues, but in personality and style. He'd do well in debates, have some nice lines, the media will eat it up, but ultimately, he's going to come off as a loathsome d$ck to the people he needs to persuade to get the nomination, and in a national election.
  17. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    I wish we could end up with an end game of Elizabeth Warren vs. Gary Johnson.

Rubio could make the water thing work for him. A sense of humor and humility goes a long way. Rubio can be pretty charismatic. Given the low IQ of our voting population, charisma is the key attribute.
  18. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,768
    But getting you to vote for the GOP candidate is not the path to election, quite frankly. You are one vote that costs ≥ one vote from within the base to obtain... path to defeat, not victory.

Obviously, nobody WGB thinks the GOP should run would ever actually win, because that is why WBG thinks they should run. But to a lesser extent, the same is true of the school of libertarianism with only the most facile of connections to a broader conservative ideology.
  19. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I think my observations are pretty sound. Believe me, from a comedy and schadenfreude perspective, I would love to see Cruz or Rand Paul run. Besides, I'd love to see an end to this reasoning that conservatives just need to find a "true conservative" to win elections, where all those mythical conservatives finally come out in force and save the Republic. Let's test that logic.
  20. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,369
    I think Cruz would come across as the wingnut end of the party, not unlike Santorum.