Bianchi whining about attendance again

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by sparky9000, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    You could have given me a free ticket and I would have stayed at home.

Noon game in that heat against Toledo? Pass
  2. G8tas

G8tas Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    you guys act like this is the first game ever during the heat of noon. that's not the issue and neither is WM. the stands were full even during the ron zook era.
  3. theologator

theologator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Jeremy didn't do that. The SEC mandated it because the student sections got overly unruly in some situations. (I can't recall if UF was a material part of that conversation.) I hate that they moved the band to a low corner.

I have no idea how rowdy things are or aren't in the student sections these days, but it hasn't ever been very crazy in the west or south sections. Loud, yes. But I won't put up with foul language. It doesn't bother me much, but I typically have one if my kids, wife or my mom or another guest with me. I've only had to ask people to chill a few times in 34 years of going to games. Hasn't been a problem as I say "That's my mom" or whatever.

I won't go to the Bucs games anymore, even though I have free access to 45 yard line seats about 30 rows up, precisely because of the drunk, obnoxious idiots. I like a cold one but a ticket doesn't buy a license to be a total a**. So that can cut both ways.
  4. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Why do we continually give Bianchi any press? This guy is an absolute clown and all of Gator Nation should totally ignore the little hack!
  5. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    Geez, you're trying to take half the fun away from bashing those jerks.
  6. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Doesn't the SEC's television contract pretty much take away whatever say so AD's may have had about tv scheduling ? If this is the case Jeremy Foley no doubt let's the powers that be know of our desire to have late afternoon to early evening kick offs early in the season. However, our desires have obviously fallen upon deaf ears of those in tv scheduling land.
  7. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +506
    Yes he did. I was there, I was editor of the Alligator (I know, big whoop) and he called and gave me crap about the editorial I wrote slamming him for it -- it was as close to an actual stance I took :) . The student used to be seated just behind the bench -- Jeremy moved them 25 rows back because of (alleged) dangerous cup throwing. Ownership of the football team was a pretty big deal to me back then -- I had a thing with SOS because he believed the lying liars from Tennessee who claimed they had pee thrown on them, and chastised the student body in the post-game after one of the cupcakes. He also threatened to get rid of bloc seating, but I don't think that happened that year. I'm not sure.

I'm sure the SEC mandated something in order to give the schools cover for taking away prime seats from the student body, but for UF, that fight started after UT lost and whined, and JF saw the chance to make a money grab.

Edited:
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. CAGator93

CAGator93 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    now you're editing your own posts - lol.

Honestly, being the editor of The Alligator is a big deal and something to be proud of.
  9. theologator

theologator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Ok - I didn't know that piece of the story. Thanks for filling in your details. I don't think it was long after that the new league policy came into play, was it?

I used to love sitting down low in the east stands as a student. We did give the bench a hard time.

And kudos for editing at the Alligator. That is a pretty big deal.
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    I was at UF at the time, a friend of mine was one of the pee bandits and admitted to me that he did it. He was hauled in for it too...his dad flew their family lawyer up from South Florida and got it taken care of. I never asked for details on whether he was charged or just questioned, but he thought the whole thing was funny.

It was real and of course wrong, but given what they did to us the year before in Knoxville it was hard to feel a lot of sympathy.
  11. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +245
    Exactly, it is not like UF can control these things. We have to follow the SEC's TV deals, if they say they want us on TV at noon we have to play at noon, that's just the way it is. The SEC Network games right now play in that time slot, we can't play later in the afternoon.
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    It's amazing that Bianchi always seems to get the exact reaction he wants from our fans. No matter how many times it's pointed out that he writes this stuff to get a reaction and not because he believes it, he gets multi page threads every time he mentions UF.
    As much as I hate the guy, he knows how to stir the pot as well as anyone around.
  13. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Ding ding ding!

Yup, never understood why people get their rocks off when talking about attendance numbers, as if it's some sort of bragging point. I do admit that it has been a little funny when I've seen the photos of the Hurricane crowds in recent years. Some of those games there had to have been less than 5,000 people in there at the time of the photo.
  14. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    Attendance is low because we play boring football. It wins games but it's boring. The fans who chose not to attend want to see a high powered offense. They want to see offensive superstars. I predict FSU's home attendance will go up this year simply because of their qb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gator Country
  15. 1955Gator

1955Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I have been going to Gator games since the mid fifties. I never went to one game because of a " high powered offense". I go to see the Gators win. 80-0 or 7-6, I don't care.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +498

I intended to ask how you could be editor of The Alligator and, these many years later, seriously make this a Jeremy Foley issue. Then I remembered -- you were editor of The Alligator. I used to really revere that position; I served on the Board of Campus Communications, Inc. while at UF. But this post is ridiculous and I think much less of the position now. So, msa3, the SEC did this to give Jeremy cover ??? That's your story from your early 20's and you're sticking with it ??? IMHO, sometimes UF students do idiotic things. At BHG. Just to get their rocks off. And then brag about it years later with no consequences. The conference, in consultations with the A.D.'s and the President's, dictated the changes. As they should have.

I'm amazed how many people bitch over and over about the boring offense we run. I can't figure out how that's now embarrassing as hell. Really -- you're bitching about a boring offense that wins? Seriously? Jimbo has put two quarterbacks in a row into the NFL, his teams have put up gaudy offensive numbers, and he now has the nation praising his third QB, and hasn't positioned that team to seriously challenge for a damn thing. We'll see how this season plays out but I'm extremely confident that Will has us much better positioned to have the dominant team in this state.

Pease and Muschamp *should* be exasperated with all of the craziness of this chatter.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    bianchi is an entertainer, not a journalist. he knows how to write stuff that gets web clicks---that's all he cares about.
  18. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +506
    Thanks for serving on the board. That was a thankless job, picking the editor and the MEs and reading financial statements. I don't remember there being a student representative while I was there, but it was a long time ago, and I'm not exactly sure ..., oh, you're right. There was a representative there. I don't know my you'd admonish 40 years or so of independent editors because you disagree with my interpretation of what happened with the seat movement, but you gotta do ...

All that said, students sat behind the visitors benches for seventy years before the 1990s. Then, in the 1990s, UAA decided it was unacceptable that they stay there anymore, so Jeremy moved the seats. Maybe the rest of the SEC thought that was a good idea and moved them for everyone. Maybe not. All I know is that in the early 1990s, student behavior became a big deal when it had not been one before, and students went from some of the best seats in the place to eventually some of the worst. Now maybe kids in the 90s were just a--holes -- I know I was sometimes -- but I thought, and continue to think 20 years later, it was an excuse more than a reason. Even if some students behaved badly, that was not a justification for punishing the rest of the section.

I'm not saying it was a Jeremy issue, though I do think that Jeremy, coming from ticket sales, understood that switching 5,000 high-priority seats from $6 student tickets to $200 booster seats (plus donation fee) couldn't hurt the bottom line. But it did remove students from the action, which I feel was regrettable and helped diminish the overall affect and appeal of the Swamp, the effects of which you're seeing in the attendance figures.
  19. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    I hate whining fans. When I was living in Florida I never missed a home game and made several away games every year. Gator fans are spoiled (bandwagon fans) because TT, Danny ...are gone. We play the toughest schedule in the country and you don't want to go to a game because of the competition, because it's too hot, too early in the day? Wimps and bandwagon fans!!!
  20. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Back in the day, all Florida home games were 1 pm kick-offs. On top of that gentlemen wore ties and ladies wore dresses. Just sayin'. They were tough people.

We've sold out to TV money? The entire sport is dependent on TV money.

But you're right about the ESPN priority, game fans don't matter, eyeball counts drive it all.