Bianchi whining about attendance again

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by sparky9000, Sep 2, 2013.

1. theologator

theologator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    They announce ticket sales plus credentials issued, not actual attendance. My guess is 65k actually there. (I was among them.)

Tennessee sent back tickets. I doubt that will be full.
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372
    Worse...he's empty.
  3. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Do you think ticket prices might be discussed in the very near future?
  4. G8RLegist

G8RLegist Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    That would be nice. It gets harder and harder to justify paying $500 per seat (Champions Club - including required contribution) per year for games against low quality teams that start mid-day.
  5. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    These attendance pieces are so lame.

I actually applaud the people who chose NOT to spend a bunch of money to attend summertime game with blazing heat against an overmatched MAC team. In fact, I'd be happy to see falling attendance all over college football, and all over every single professional league this season. The sports industry has grown out of control and the fans have been the ones to pay the price while players, owners, media, coaches, etc. have made out like bandits.

Sometimes the most important thing in life isn't spending an ENTIRE Saturday to go to a noon game against Toledo. Such an event is going to cost a couple upwards of at least $300 and at least 8 hours of time (if they don't live in Gainesville but live "close," such as in Orlando or Jax). And for what? It's a lot easier to put fans in the seats when ticket prices aren't astronomical. A game of that caliber should be $5-10 for the nosebleeds. And maybe those days will come back if enough folks don't go to the games. Either way, I think the nation is on the verge of a "sports revolution" where something similar will happen. At least I hope.

And Bianchi sucks and so does the Orlando Sentinel.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    And does it ever occur to some people that EIGHTY THOUSAND PLUS people were in the stands? That's a lot of freaking people!

Miami has a hard time filling up the much smaller Dolphin Stadium. Tampa Bay almost never fills up the smaller Raymond James. Jacksonville Jaguars actually tarp part of their stadium to "sell out" their stadium on game days to avoid blackouts (not sure how they get away with this).

The only people that think attendance is a problem are people that have serious issues. Not everybody makes $100K a year and not everybody has totally open and free Saturdays every weekend during college football season. It's just much easier to watch the games at home and you know, you can actually invite your local friends over for a BBQ. This is much better to me than traveling all day and spending a bunch of money in most cases.
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    Bianchi is a douce bag!
  8. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    there is no way 80,000+ were at that game--both endzones had big gaps and the top parts of the east stands were empty
  9. theologator

theologator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    There were about 50 of them or less right in front of their cheerleaders. I assume those were alumni within driving distance.
  10. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    Maybe. But the article I cited said there were two reasons for the Pac12 increasing attendance while all other major conferences declined. One was their 9 conference- game schedules. The other was a concerted effort by the member teams to schedule interesting OOC games. If that's true then it could be corrected but not just by cutting prices.
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,235
    But arent they "back" again this year?

Seriously, its sad, but owning a rival can kill a rivalry....at least for the short term.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,684
    Can't disagree with this
  13. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    Here's my annual rant:

This started 20 years ago, when Jeremy moved the student section from the first 25 or so rows behind the visitors bench. First he moved them up, and then he moved them back, and then he moved them away. With the advent of the big TV and everything (seriously, can you imagine the TOLEDO game being televised back in the day?) being on TV, it's seemingly more fun to watch from home than go through the hassles of going to the game.

There's also an element of family-friendliness that sounds good, but has probably lessened the appeal of the game. Most of the crowd complaints people have are because their kids' delicate ears or sensibilities might be hindered. But drunkenness used to be part of the experience -- drunken Tri-Delts and Kappa Sigs, along with drunken alumni are all part of the atmosphere. After all, if someone told said, "Hey, lets go catch some rays and watch the game," that's a lot more fun with the beer than without. When you factor in the loss of halftime at the Porpoise, and restrictions on tailgating, no re-entry, and the general "what if my kids here you curse like that" you get from a lot of fun to something you feel like you ought to do. Football games used to be a place where it was okay to be a loud a**hole -- now it's a place where you are supposed to behave. But if you've got to behave, why bother going? (one of these days I think I'm going to see a family-friendly strip club, complete with almost naked dancers and a two-drink maximum)

It's not going to change because everyone wants loud, controlled audiences for their events. But if you're not allowed to go crazy -- if you're not allowed to be a bit of out control -- it's often more fun staying home.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    I love going to games and wish I had more than 6. This time of year is amazing and being back in the Swamp is fantastic. Hopefully I don't have to miss any of them in person!
  15. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I've never gotten people's fascination with attendance numbers. Whether we're gloating about having a huge turnout at Ben Hill or bashing SOW and Miami for pathetic attendance, I just fail to see how it correlates to putting a winning product out on the field. I'd rather see us go 12-0 and win a title in front of 10,000 people weekly than sell out every game and go 7-5.
  16. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +293
    I think you are getting ATTENDANCE confused with TICKETS SOLD. Sure we sell a lot of tickets but people are not going!!!!! Boring offense, hot, TV, HD, gas prices......all add up to empty seats!!!!!!!!!!
  17. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    I was in school during the eighties and then grad school for a couple of years in the early nineties. To be honest, I seem to remember empty seats during the early games, and that was before they added what, 30K more seats? Even when the crowds were thick at the beginning the place was empty by halftime. I bet we have just as many people in the stadium now as we did in 1991 but with all the new seats we just have more empties. Did seem a little dead around the stadium on Saturday, though, not much spirit or something.
  18. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,006
    I know how to solve a lot of that problem... lower ticket prices and stop scheduling so many noon games. :wink:
  19. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    Same reason I am not going to the UM game this weekend. Noon kickoff in the blazing sun. No Thanks. I will watch it on TV.

If it was a 3:30 game. I am all over it.
  20. RealtyGator

RealtyGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    This is the price we pay for athletic success. Foley is TOTALLY about the $$$, thus those wonderful, early-season 6pm kickoff games seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird. Can't fault the man for the overall great job he has done for our athletic program, but the focus these days is clearly on the cash. So he bows to the TV gods so that he can get us more dough...