Bianchi - Muschamp officially coaching for his job now

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Oct 25, 2013.

1. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I've made utterly no secret of the fact that I have almost no regard for Bianchi. That said, its impossible to argue with him this time. Just look at the numbers. (from the article)

"Ask Ron Zook. He was fired after 2 1/2 seasons at UF with a 20-13 record, 14-7 in the SEC. Muschamp, after 2 1/2 seasons, is 22-11, 13-8 in the SEC.

The Gators conceivably could finish 6-6 or "“ gulp! "“ 5-7 this year. Can you imagine the outcry if UF finishes with its first losing record since the 0-10-1 season 34 years ago? Zook used to refer to fan unrest as "noise in the system." If Florida State pounds Florida in The Swamp to cap off a UF losing season, the noise in the system will be louder than a Motorhead concert."

at 6-6 or 5-7 either of which I think FAR more likely than any other outcome for this season, Muschamp's record would be extremely comparable to Ron Zook's. Yes he would have had one season better than any of Zook's, but he would have had two seasons worse than any of Zook's....and Zook had some huge wins like handing eventual national champ LSU their only loss in 2003 and beating otherwise unbeaten Georgia in 2002 preventing them from winning a national championship and winning at the field now named for him in Tallahassee for the first time for UF since 1986. Muschamp has only one win (over the sows last year) that is even remotely comparable to those 3...and sow already had a loss and wasn't going to win any national titles anyway). At that point, what must be done eventually should be done immediately......

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...uschamp-gators-1025-20131024,0,6993792.column
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    Zook never had a loaded, experienced team as Muschamp had last year. I am sure if that 2003 or 2004 team had RFN patrolling centerfield, and he got wins instead of losses at Tallahassee and Knoxville, Zook would have gone 9-3 and 9-2 those years - or better.

This is what happens when you have an experience-depleted team.
  3. vorpal

vorpal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Bianchi is correct...Muschamp needs to win one of GA, SC or FSU and go 7-5 at worst to keep his job IMO.
  4. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390 / 12 / -3
    Muschamp inherited a program far worse off than Zook did. If you are going to buy the inane "logic" of this mental midget without one iota of critical analysis, then you've officially gone off the deep end.

BTW, I will not click on a Bianchi link. Ever. Shame on you for posting it.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,627 / 82 / -24
    The Bianchi-troll is making his Halloween appearance.

As usual, the candy is laced with arsenic.
  6. Wormwood56

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16

Not far worse, Nicho. Zook inherited a mess as well, a headstrong quarterback that didn't like the new offensive system and did his own thing. he lost 12, 13 and 13 new starters each year, had the offerings of an underachieving 2000 class (the jewel of that class went to Miami), poor recruiting class in 2001 and a weak class in 2002 (the transition class).

Muschamp's was poor in regard to the number of schollies, as well as a change in offensive systems. Many of Meyer's later recruits never panned out, as he built his entire offense around Tebow.

The difference is that Boom could have kept the spread option, as there are many coaches than can run it. Only SOS can run the Fun n' Gun. Spurrier knew the road was going to be rocky ahead of him after 2001 and bailed at the right time. He was no fool, and is certainly not an idiot. I suspect Meyer knew it as well, but tried it out for a year to see what would transpire.

Neither had the full cupboards SOS and Meyer had.
  7. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174 / 14 / -1
    Spurrier left Zook plenty of talent to work with. Certainly more than Meyer left Muschamp. While I am as concerned as anyone with our inept offense, I think howling for Muschamp's head now is premature. How many years did it take Dumbo Fisher to put together a good team at FSU? And take a look at Georgia; they have as many losses as we do. I think we should shut our yaps, support the program and coach, and see how we do in 2014 before we send out the lynch mob. Canning a coach too quickly has a lot of negative ramifications, from recruiting, to the perception that we are a bunch of unreasonable jerks that no coach would want to deal with. Let's face it: our two best coaches both hauled butt. There must have been a reason.
  8. Wormwood56

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    I dunno, Oak. I always kinda liked Mikey. I have no problem with him criticizing Florida. I learn more from critical pieces than I do the usual pro-Gator fluff from, say, Robbie Andrews. Besides, there is nothing Mikey enjoys more than tweaking the insane fan base of the Gator Nation. I kinda like to do that meself...:D
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +239 / 23 / -7
    Foley isn't getting rid of Muschamp after this season. Bianchi's column ignores the fact that in Muschamp's first year, we were scoring a ton of points until Brantley got hurt and was replaced by two freshmen with no experience.

Coach needs a few things to make his offense work: a drop-back QB (on the way in the form of Grier), power running backs (seems like he has been successful at that), receivers who can do more than block (also seems like he's done that) and a better, deeper O-line, which has been the biggest problem.
  10. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I disagree. The team was not in great shape in 2002. In fact there were major holes but many refused to acknowledge them....even after Spurrier himself publicly admitted it because to do so would tarnish the legend of Saint Steve and that was complete anathema to them.
  11. Wormwood56

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    There was some talent, but it vanished quickly, and the offense struggled to play in anything other than the Fun n' Gun. He did not have "plenty" of experienced talent with 12 new starters, followed by 13 new starters in each of the following two years. It was a mess.

Of this, I agree completely.
  12. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390 / 12 / -3
    Worm, the culture within the program was disturbingly volatile when Muschamp took over. There were deep rifts in the locker room. I don't believe it was anywhere near that bad when SOS left. There are some things that just cannot be quantified.
  13. Wormwood56

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    Yes indeed, and it would have partially justified Zook's struggles, and the Tom McKewans of the world wouldn't stand for THAT. It clearly went against their script..:devil:
  14. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    This is simply baloney. We had 2 good OL. TWO! The rest were first and second year guys who hadn't started before.

We had 2 good LB's. We had one more who was a blocker magnet and couldn't fight through a block to save his life. We had another who was slower than molasses in January. The rest were worse than that.

We had one good WR.....only one guy who could make a play on the outside. Everybody knew it of course and doubled him every game.

We had a QB who refused to listen, called plays from the previous Offense in the huddle and completely melted down in 2 games one of which we undoubtedly would have won had he merely played badly instead of absolutely dreadfully. That loss cost us the SEC East.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Wormwood56

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    Nicho, I respectfully disagree. The Florida offense in 2002 rebelled against Zaun's more horizontal system, and the stars we had couldn't wait to leave early. They both had many of the same issues. Remember when Shannon Snell was posting here? Showstoppa was being as diplomatic as he possibly could, but there were cracks he inadvertently indulged. I really don't think some of the player's hearts on offense was in it in 2002 after having a wide open attack the previous year. But who is going to call the Fun n' Gun plays? Grossman tried and lost two games in large part because of it.

But this is Boom's third year, and there shouldn't be dissention from the players of the previous regime. If there is dissention, it may be among those who believe _____ should get more playing time than ______. Of that, I honestly don't know.
  16. InagaddavidaGator

InagaddavidaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31 / 7 / -4
    There should be a script that runs and blocks anytime someone tries to post a Bianchi column.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I remember when people used to say that about Bama. Look where they are now.
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,627 / 82 / -24
    That's the thing - we need to fix the OL, and when we do, I think we have enough other pieces to at least be functional this year, and add quite a few explosive plays next year with the skills guys we're getting.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,627 / 82 / -24
    I know that you can definitely be intentionally contrary in some of your posts, but you support your opinions with data... you don't just make stuff up.

I am not a fan of guys who intentionally stir the pot, often with inaccurate and/or unsupported assertions, just to ring up page clicks.

"Mikey" has been doing that for years. And I personally called him on it on a couple of inaccurate articles he wrote several years ago when he used to post here as a user. Of course he didn't respond or correct his inaccurate statements.

He is certainly not the lone ranger in that type of "journalism" these days. Heck, he's probably the norm rather than the exception. But I am not inclined to support any of it.
  20. GatorChoice

GatorChoice Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +54 / 2 / -2