Bianchi: If Spurrier wins SEC at Carolina, it would eclipse what he did at UF

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bianchi, Jul 16, 2014.

1. AUTigerGrad

AUTigerGrad Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    We weren't on sanctions. Haven't had any NCAA sanctions since 1993-94. We were dealing with Terry Bowden's lackadaisical and careless running of our program in all aspects, then quitting in mid season in 98.
  2. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,195
    When I was at Florida, we did have good seasons. Spurrier came in 90. Why didn't you cut and paste the records up until then? Also, no SEC crown... not one, nada... in the history of our entire program. Get what I was trying to say now? The late eighties were not kind to the gators. Btw, do you ever really read the posts you comment on?
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    benheb - you are correct on the SEC crowns, and the late 80s being unkind to us. And 1990.

Of course, we did have an SEC Championship in '84, before the ultra hypocritical "SEC elite" voted to take it away retroactively. Something they did not do to Bama in the same circumstance of NCAA violations less than a decade later.

AFAIK, we still have the '84 SEC Championship Trophy, even if we don't claim that championship publicly.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,195
    Yep - remember it well. I didn't know we still had that trophy. I have some preeminent memories from that season, from the Miami loss to the Georgia win - some great ones - ahhh with a walk-on quarterback. That team will always be my favorite.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,065
    Like I said earlier in this thread, one SEC Championship would not eclipse what he did at UF. Moreover, they are a long way from winning it anyway. Bianchi is just stirring the pot.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Yeah, you guys have perfected dodging sanctions...:D
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    We played by the rules everyone else in the SEC played by. And we beat them. They didn't like it. Pell built the Gators. Spurrier didn't inherit a bottom feeder.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    Pell built Clemson in the mid-late 70s the same way.
  9. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    What was the score of that bowl game against Washington again before Spurrier arrived? Oh yeah, 34-7 in the almighty Freedom Bowl. Oh yes, I remember it well. I can't even remember the name of the QB, who transferred after that game I believe.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    You want to go there? With a team whose head coach was horribly forced to resign, where the QB situation was in complete flux, and where they were in their final stages ? Spurrier never had to deal with the aftereffects of sanctions. Instead, he was the beneficiary of an absolutely saturated cupboard of top talent ready to come into their own.

Spurrier was a great coach at Florida, and an even better coach now, but don't think for a nanosecond that Florida was a bottom feeder before he arrived. We had those 7-5 years due to the crippling effects of sanctions, not mediocrity by Galen Hall. When Hall had a loaded team, his Gators went 9-0 and 9-1-1.

What was the score of the first game where SOS had an opponents that finished with more than seven wins? HINT: It was against Tennessee.

45-3
  11. ElimiGator

ElimiGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Bianchi loves playing Gators against each other. It is pure entertainment because his hair implants look stupid.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    Donald Douglas.

Of course that was the team coached by Gary Darnell, Interim Coach, who tried to sit on a 7-3 lead at Auburn. That same Gary Darnell had a wide open offense years later at W. Michigan. It's a shame he didn't realize that the forward pass was a legal play in 1989.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    Florida a sleeping giant in 1990???? Seriously? We were the walking dead of programs. The year before, one player was 75% of the offense and he wasn't the QB. Had he not gone pro his senior year, he would have been gone the year after with no one on the radar to even carry a quarter of his production. The whole program was a complete and utter mess with new coaches every year Emmitt was there. No consistency, no loyalty, no offense other than Emmitt. Steve came in and had a great recruiting year and that started the ball rolling.

First, he dumped the entire offense and went with all new players. Kyle as a senior was done. Shane had more yards in his first season than Kyle had his entire career. Shane's 23 TDs in Steve's 1st season at Florida set a record and that record eventually fell just a few years later. The transformation between the 3 years before his 1st season and that 1st season was night and day. Before his 1st season, we went 6-5, 6-6, 7-5, and 7-5. Steve's 1st season - 9-2. Under Galen Hall, we scored 40 or more points just 6 times. Steve's team scored 40 or more points 4 times in his 1st season alone. And all of those 40 points games by Galen Hall's teams were against glorified high school football teams like Montana State and Furman. Of those 4 40 point wins in 1990, they were against Oklahoma St, Auburn (who was ranked 4th in the country at the time), and Kentucky. That alone was better results than all of the prior decade's worth of games. Like others have said, we limped through the 80s on life-support due to 2 separate NCAA sanctions. In one year, Steve erased almost all of the negativity in Gator Nation.
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    I'm not taking away from Galen's tenure; he did have some awesome wins over some very good programs, but the last 4 years before Steve were very much like ours since Meyer quit on us, with the exception Galen had Emmitt (and that was the only reason I watched Gator football in those years; well him and the defense). Steve energized the fanbase from the moment he came in and laid the foundation to the elite program we have now.
  15. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    If he wins a National Championship at SC, that might eclipse things he's done at UF.

Nah, he changed the entire SEC at UF.

South Carolina was once called "Where old coaches go to die." Two former National Championship winning coaches floundered there, Paul Dietzel (42–53–1) and Lou Holtz (33–37). One minute you're hoisting a trophy, and your next gig you're leaving with a losing record and retiring. So he's certainly done something no other coach could do at SC. And trust me, fans don't even talk about beating Clempson that much anymore. SOS is in Dabo's head, just like he got into Fulmer's head.

But why even compare? His body of work will be his legacy, along with his coaching tree.

Even as an SC fan, his days at UF are the glory days for me. He was accused of RUTS, but that offensive juggernaut was unstoppable. If there ever was 'scoring machine' it was his offenses. I've particularly marveled at what I think is that classic Spurrier move of going for the jugular immediately following a turnover.

How many times did the Gators score exactly one play after a turnover? That's Sun Tzu and the Art of War, that's boot to the throat. That's mental devastation. Making you immediately pay for a mistake insures you'll make more.

He may have slowed down a bit, but to his credit he's adapted to the times. Tell me one 69 year old coach you'd rather have than the Head Ball Coach. I hope to be as sharp and fit as him when I hit 70.
  16. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,195
    I remember the long drive home from one of those games and the crap I took from my office mates. Gary Darnell and Donald Douglas... wow those were bad times... those names are burned into my gator subconscious. That's part of the reason I'm always going to appreciate SOS and believe in his greatness. I don't need any reinforcement from his USCe accomplishments - especially if it ends up costing the gators.
  17. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    We had a hell of a defense in 1989 and SOS has said as much when he got here.

Despite the probation, we had some talent and the cupboard was certainly not bare.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    SOS might be the only coach who per College Football Reference's rating system has coached 4 of the 5 best teams at two SEC schools. Beats the Bear in that regard.
  19. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +314
    THats a cop out. So you think its ok to cheat because everyone else was cheating?
    Well we got cought. ANd it was not Pells first rodio. see Clemson.

Spurrier then, if what you say is true everyone was cheating, did it in a more difficult manner. He did it without cheating.
  20. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    Wasn't the QB that was supposed to start in 1990 named Morris or Morse? Shane was something like 5th team and Spurrier predicted that he would be all SEC, and he was for three years.
    • Agree Agree x 1