BF4 vs. COD Ghosts

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by rburnett, Nov 15, 2013.

1. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I'm picking up one of these two.. who has played them both? I do enjoy a good campaign, but obviously multiplayer is a huge factor too.
  2. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    Haven't played Ghosts yet. BF4 has some things I like and some things I don't like as compared to BF3. I like a lot of the enhancements for troops on foot. I think the weapons are really balanced, the verticality of the maps is really improved, and hitting 500+ meter headshots with a sniper rifle after adjusting the zero on the rifle is fantastically satisfying. I don't like that they changed the controls around or that the airspace for planes and choppers seems smaller than in BF3, that the .50cal rifles are pickup-only, or that you can only have 1 claymore. There are also still a few glitches (like laser rangefinders not working through large gaps in railing, pickup only weapons not always staying with you unless you hold the triangle button). Some of the maps feel less inspired than BF3 also, which had some really great ones, and I wish more of the buildings had working elevators.

I may give ghosts a try. I hear they've done a lot for the sniper class in this one and taken away some of that quick scope garbage. IMO, map design was a bigger problem, but we'll see. I liked MW1 and MW2, which were really sniper-friendly, but MW3 was terrible with no places to set up, snipe long distances, and remain hidden. It was a poorly thought out effort to reduce camping but resulted into forcing everyone into a run and gun, every man for himself play style with little precision-shooting from overwatch positions. I know right now that there is one assault rifle that is drastically overpowered, though, and screwing up the balance of the game.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    BF, for my money.
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Always COD. BF is ok but I don't like the slow play.
  5. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    That's because BF is more realistic. COD is for ADD children. LOL.... I kid, I kid! Both solid games.
  6. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +481
    Sniping in BF4 is outstanding. It's not easy, so despite having very large maps, it's really not a big problem getting sniped because it takes a good bit of skill to use them. But I think they're really well done.

I picked someone off of the radar tower from the half sunken carrier in the Paracel Storm. I believe it was about 750 meters, which made it even more difficult since when you're zeroing your scope, it jumps from 500m to 1000m. He was even moving from right to left. Looked like he was scoping in on someone because he wasn't moving too fast. One shot. Probably the most gratifying moment for me ever playing a video game. He actually messaged me afterwards and told me "Damn good shot".
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    ^^^ nice lol
  8. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    BF4 is definitely much better on PS4 than PS3. More players, 5 control points per conquest map, and airspace is much bigger so planes are actually useable.

I've maxed out the sniper class and actually had a couple of headshot sniper kills at over 1300m the other day with the SRR-61 Cheytac Intervention and the 40x ballistic scope on Altai Range. What's cool is at a certain distance of around 900-1000m, the bullet actually goes transonic and loses the trace that you normally see to adjust drop in the reticle, so it makes it a bit of a guessing game until you get DOPE for a given distance. When you start getting multiple kills of 500m+ with a headshot bonus it becomes really easy to be round MVP with only 5-7 kills as you're racking up 700-1500+ points per kill.

There still are a few problems though, like mobile AA's being a little overpowered, IMO. Last night I ran into a match on Golmud railway where a guy in a fully maxed out mobile AA was sitting inside their spawn area and pretty much wiping out any planes and choppers with no real way to kill him as you couldn't C4 him because you'd get an out of the map warning, and the laser guided bombs from the attack jets don't do enough damage. Add to it that he was camped under a radio tower so any guided munitions would hit the tower rather than him about 95% of the time and he could easily make repairs and it was just a bit ridiculous. Kind of the vehicular equivalent of people who would sit in the back of the spawn with mortars in BF3 which they eventually patched out. It's made worse by the fact that sometimes (~50% of the time) planes won't alert to a lock until the missiles are about to hit you making it impossible to use countermeasures.

I also picked up ghosts. Played the story mode, it was pretty short. Multiplayer is still a run and gun mess with little thought or strategy involved and no real point to sniping. Extinction mode is really fun, though, and a nice challenge. That said, I beat only currently available extinction map, and it wasn't enticing enough to keep playing again.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +481
    Hahahaha

While I agree, they're a little overpowered, I'm guilty of doing that. I actually really hate helicopters, because I suck using them, and some people are really damned good at them. So when I get on that map, I tend to take out my frustration using the AA. The missiles you're probably talking about are the Active Radar missiles.
    Meaning you won't know you're about to get hit until it's too late. They're not very powerful though. Usually takes about 4-6 hits before it drops an aircraft at 100%.
  10. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    A pair of those is enough to send a jet into an uncontrollable tailspin, though. Plus they reload pretty much instantly, whereas jets take a LONG time to reload ordnance

I wouldn't have such an issue with it if they couldn't sit in the damn spawn, meaning I can't sneak up and C4 them. They literally take out air vehicles on 3/4 of the available airspace, and it's kind of 1-sided due to the geography of the map.

Re: the helicopters, I'm pretty good at them but an AA can easily take them down unless you have both a competent pilot and a competent gunner that are pretty powered up with air to ground.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +481
    So according to Battlelog, my new longest snipe (headshot) is 1,572.56 meters with the SRR-61. Again, done in Paracel Storm. This time from the Carrier spawn point, to that little secluded island in the CN zone.

It was quite the guessing game since the range finder stops at around 950 meters.
  12. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    Where do you find your longest snipe in battlelog?
  13. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +481
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/

Scroll over soldier, then go to stats > details

It shows your longest headshot, not actual shot. But it's pretty obvious I didn't tag the guy with a shotgun lol
  14. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    Got it. I was wondering where they had put that. 1,373.94 here. I'm now going to have to try to break yours. Which means either paracel storm, silk road, or Altai Range, and hopefully an enemy sniper dumb enough to try and take me from distance ;)
  15. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +481

Such a gratifying snipe. The second one wasn't too bad either, considering I could only see about 3 inches (in game) of his head above the tree.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    Looks like the last patch fixed the problem with the AAs. They reduced the size of the spawn enough on Golmud that I was able to sneak up and C4 an AA that was trying to take the same tactic of hiding under the power line tower next to the spawn and taking down all the air support. Needless to say that put an end to that. I also got the attack jet maxed out so I have access to the JDAM now, which should help for stationary targets like that. I still feel like the air vehicles are very underpowered as there is just nowhere to hide from stingers or mobile AA and it takes far too long for both countermeasures and weapons to reload and they aren't terribly accurate nor do they do enough damage against ground targets.
  17. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Wow just stumbling into this thread.
    Started playing bf4 on my new ps4 a couple of days ago.
    Looks great, but anything would from my ps2 upgrade.

Anyone suggest another great game to buy yet?
  18. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Ironically, I am getting BF4 by chance before COD even though Im a big COD fan and not so much BF. However, I bought a pc bundle that included BF4 on steam for free, lol.
  19. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    You won't be disappointed.
  20. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +481
    I just unlocked the UCAV with Air Burst and can't get enough of that thing. It's kind of ruined the game for me, because I that's all I want to do.