Best cell phone?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by whiskeygator, May 9, 2014.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +932
    Galaxy Nexus and Note 3
  2. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +932
    The Note 3 is far and away the best phone I've ever used too. Wouldn't trade it for anything and I've tried most of the high end phones.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,993
    The nexus doesn't surprise me; LG is a horrible cell phone manufacturer. The note 3 does as that's what I carry and it takes better pictures then my wife's who cares the iPhone.
  4. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +932
    Not the LG, the original Nexus made by Samsung. Was a great "little" phone now dwarfed by my Note 3.
  5. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,993
  6. jewood592

jewood592 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,098
    Just switched my wife and daughter over to the galaxy s4 from iPhone 4s last year. They talked me into switching about a month ago and I hate this damned galaxy S5!!! My music no longer plays in my car, I keep my phone on vibrate because I run a retail store, so now I never catch a call or text. The vibration on this phone is so light you don't notice it at all. There seems to be too many steps to do anything including just clicking a name to call. And if course now I have to enter a friggin password to check the voice mail of all the calls I miss. Never had to do that with my iPhone. You just click the message and it played. Also, I could retrieve deleted messages from voice mail on the iphone, no such luck on the galaxy. Anybody wanna trade??? :)
  7. slinkygator

slinkygator Moderator Extraordinaire

Ratings Received:
    +1,362
    [​IMG]

(I'm an iPhone fan; couldn't resist posting this)
  8. slinkygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,362
  9. slinkygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,362
  10. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    If you're going to get an android and you can afford it without paying the higher long run cost of being on contract, then you might as well get the Nexus 5, which is subsidized by Google meaning you pay $400 for what is a $600+ phone.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb

It's unlocked, so you can go to any service. I'd recommend a no-contract plan and then trying them out until you find the network you like. I have a Nexus 4 on T-mobile and it works well, although the service area isn't as large as say Verizon.
  11. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +807
    I fully understand that mine was an anecdotal experience but it tainted my desire to ever get another android phone. I was psyched to chose it over the iPhone and specwise it blew the iPhone away. It didn't live up to the hype. I bought the extended battery which made the phone heavy as can be yet still didn't get a day of battery life and that was only the tip of the iceberg for problems.
  12. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +807
    I imagine there is a bit of selection bias in that bolded statement. iPhone's have more issue because of the sheer number of them. In January of 2014 the iPhone had 40+ % of smartphone subscribers while the next closest was samsung at 25%. So of course that means based on the numbers you are going to see more iPhones with issues but that doesn't mean there is a larger percentage of iPhones with issues.

This study puts the iPhone as the most reliable phone and 300% more reliable then Samsung (the closest competitor). http://bgr.com/2013/02/22/iphone-reliability-study-samsung-340530/
  13. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,383
    I had the same experience with the HTC Incredible. Decided to try again with the S4 and now the Note. I'm glad I did. Here's a short list of why:

Can charge and pop in spare batteries
    Better screen
    Better camera
    Better sound
    Faster processor
    More customization choices

The iPhone does somethings better like calls and voice mail. However, that's at the bottom of my list of what I use my phone for anymore.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,993
    That's with the assumption Samsung is the only android manufacturer. More androids are sold at the store level for all companies. There are more issues with iPhones; that much I can guarantee.

No offense, but that study isn't something you can go. It's very limited and who/where exactly are they getting their numbers from? I guarantee if you went to store after store, at least 80% would say more issues with iPhones and that iPhones wouldn't be their top selling phones; at least not for OS.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +807
    If you group all android phones together then of course they outsell the iPhone (52% vs 42% of phones). If you go phone by phone then Apple has the highest marketshare. I don't need to go store to store to ask I can look at the data.

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/P...ry_2014_US_Smartphone_Subscriber_Market_Share

If you want to disregard my first study then here is a second. Performed by SquareTrade (warranty company) in 2010 where only 2.1% of iPhones malfunctioned within the first year of service. That is the companies most recent study.
    http://www.squaretrade.com/cell-phone-comparison-study-nov-10

I stand by my assessment. If you are looking for reliability, battery life, and ease of use the iPhone is the clear winner. If you are looking for customizeability and better specs then the top droid phones win out. Pros and cons to each.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,993
    Agreed that the iPhone itself sells more then any other specific phone.

Also I'm not trying to disregard your studies it just happens to be the ones you're providing don't paint the whole picture. The one you just used is more of an after your regular warranty goes out or if it's something you do to it yourself.

I agree that each have their pro and cons but I wonder if it was just the Samsung models if they would sell more.

Nothing supports that the iPhone is more reliable. From my experience in the business it's the exact opposite; and not just my stores. I spend on average 16-20 weeks out of the year at expos and seminars that give us that info as owners.

However I'll move on.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Nothing except the only two studies performed on cell phone reliability. Both of which were performed by companies with no affiliation to Apple.
  18. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,993
    Exactly my point. They have no info from Apple who does the majority of their warranties and from companies who use such small studies that I'm surprised they are able to publish them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,922
    I cant remember life without Android. I have had a good run with some higher end LG models.
    I use Samsung Tabs. I cant believe there was a time that I did not have my Google Drive and the crossover use of chrome.

My wife and I switched to No-Contract via Virgin Mobile a few years back. Unlimited Talk, Text, Data under 100 bucks combined. You have to live in a strong Sprint area though because that is the network they use.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,993
    If you stay with the non contract deal, you should look into aio/cricket. It's owned by At&t and has unlimited everything as well for the same price. The best thing is it's GSM; so it works all over. The only thing is once you hit a certain amount of data it slows down but if you have Wi-Fi at home you'll obviously never use the data until you leave. Just a little info.
    • Informative Informative x 1