Best cell phone?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by whiskeygator, May 9, 2014.

1. whiskeygator

whiskeygator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    My daughter and I are both in the market for a new cell phone. I would appreciate any recommendations pro or con on cell phones.
  2. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,953
    The new iPhone!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Love my Samsung Galaxy S4. The S5 is a slight upgrade which just came out. Not enough for me to get the new one but its a really nice phone.
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    I have the S3 and love it. Contract is up on September and will probably upgrade to the S5.
  5. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +345
    The Galaxy 5 is great. I was forced to upgrade last week thanks to my 3 bricking. Wasn't on my time table but I am glad I got this one. Bigger screen, faster processor, and easier to use with some apps.
  6. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,957
    Wait fir the Iphone 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,702
    Galaxy Note 3 if you like 'em big.
  8. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Oneplus 1-no manufacturers bloatware, comes already unlocked, cheap, no contracts.

As if the One wasn't unique enough, it also comes with a much more customizable Android experience than what 99 percent of users currently enjoy. This is because OnePlus is an exclusive partner with CyanogenMod, so naturally its very first phone comes with the firmware (build 11S, based on Android 4.4.2) directly baked in.

Hold up. What exactly is CyanogenMod? It's custom firmware based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and gives the user more freedom to fiddle around with settings, icons, themes and... well, nearly every aspect of the Android experience. Cyanogen's one of the most popular pieces of third-party firmware in the Android universe and can be installed a wide variety of devices, but the experience is even better on the One because it was built into the phone; since CyanogenMod could work with the hardware early in its development, it was able to add a bunch of optimizations that you won't find on other phones.

At first, it doesn't appear that different from stock Android, save for a few style changes (think: icons and buttons). But don't let its understated facade fool you: There's a lot of power behind the scenes, and it becomes more evident as you continue to poke around. There are several new features, with tweakable settings thrown in everywhere. Many of you are simply looking for an inexpensive phone and don't care about making dozens of tiny adjustments to your Android setup, and the beauty of CM is that it can fit your style just as easily as it can fit the preferences of power users -- it's completely customizable, and it's fantastic. Here's a crash course on what you can tweak.

[​IMG]
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +796
    on a related topic, i'm interested in the verizon family plan where you only pay $160 for 4 phones. But i'm confused about the real price. Is that rate only good if you purchase 4 phones at full price? Or can you get their subsidized priced phones?
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    No that's the price per month and you still get the subsidized price by signing the contract. Att has the same thing and better service.
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    Haven't seen it yet but no way is a $300 dollar smartphone any good. I've seen the attempts too many times.
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    IPhones cannot compete with your top androids.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    My personal experience doesn't agree. When we bought our last phones my wife went with the newest iPhone (4 at the time) while I wanted an Android and went with the top of the line at the time, the HTC Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt was 4G, customizeable, and had all the bells and whistles. It also had countless bugs that never got patched and was very low priority for android upgrades. When every other phone was getting the latest OS (ICS) it was still running Gingerbread. Every month I'd hear the upgrade was in the works and every month it was much back. It had terrible battery life among other issues. A year after buying it I bought a used iPhone 4 and couldn't have been happier.

To me the bottom line is androids offer more bells and whistles but are not nearly as reliable. You have to worry about the disappointment of a new android phone coming out every month that is bigger and better than yours and they upgrades are shoddy. The iPhone may be a bit dumbed down but it is the most reliable phone on the market and even if you have the original iPhone you all get the same upgrade. You also only have to a see a new model every year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Baka, sorry your android experience sucked, the Thunderbolt had a lot of issues that I have not heard of with newer android phones. IIRC that was one of the first 4G devices and the battery was terrible. I have been on Android since the Motorola Droid and have had almost exclusively great experiences. Currently, I think the Galaxy line is far and away better than iphone and even my friends with iphones will agree it does a lot more all with a bigger better screen and much better camera.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,853
    Well, I like my Apple iPhone and my Apple iPad that I'm using right now. :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    Of course everybody has different experiences but HTC hasn't made a good phone imo since the Tilt. I disagree that the iPhone is the most reliable phone as I have owned At&t stores since 03 and experience across the board show more issues store wide with iPhones. I do agree that they are probably the easiest smartphone to use and allow less tech savvy users the enjoyment of having a smartphone; same could be said for Windows but the edge goes to the iPhone.

I understand the new phone coming out every other week it seems with androids but that's the biz unfortunately. When you have multiple manufacturers making the same style, compared to Apple making 1, it's hard really to make that argument. I've personally found, and I think the numbers agree, Samsung has it locked down and the Galaxy series is the favorite.

Nobody compares to Apple in battery life. That most likely will never change. I run multiple apps to help support my battery.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I'm all for the $300 androids. Right now i'm using the Pantech p9090 have been for over a year and all I use is watch dog to make sure my apps are behaving properly and this cheap little bastard hums. And I got this sucker loaded. Going to get another year out of it and i'm getting the OnePlus 1
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,247
    Agree with everything you say except the camera part. My last two phones have been from the Samsung Galaxy family and my wife's two iphones over that period have taken better pictures. I have more MP but that is down the list of importance.
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    If it's working for ya that's good.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    Which phones were you using? If comparing similar phones the Galaxy should've been better.