1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Best Case for Us Next Year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATOR_4Life, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Gatormom11

Gatormom11 Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    I was overly optimistic when I made my prediction before this season. I had 7-5 and 6-6.
    But, who is going to come in as our new OC or OL coach with the knowledge that it will be potentially a one year contract?

I think we go 7-5 or 6-6 again and hope I am totally wrong and get to Atlanta.
    For CWM to keep his job, I think we need to beat UGA for sure and go to Atlanta. I think he stays coach even if we do not win in Atlanta.
  2. bantab

bantab Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    I agree. There's no way we could go 11-2 with a coach like Muschamp.

/s
    • Like Like x 2
  3. bantab

bantab Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    I could understand if you think he should be fired if we don't make it to Atlanta, but if we have one loss in the regular season and don't make it to the SECCG, Foley will not fire Muschamp. Neither will Machen step in to do anything, nor will the board of trustees take any action. To think otherwise is delusional.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    I don't say this based on an arbitrary opinion. I base it on history. Since 1983, when Florida has fewer than 12 lost starters from the previous year, they AVERAGE 10-2. The worst season during that span was Meyer's 2005 season, which was a transition season.

Muschamp already demonstrated he could field a top ten team when he has an experienced team. I think he can do it again.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    Then I am glad you are not anywhere NEAR a position of authority.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    Maybe. But on the other hand, we haven't had a season as bad as this one since before 1983. We are in uncharted waters here.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    Lol. He could go 0-24 the next 2 years and wormwood say he can't be fired. You always have excuses.

No Atlanta in 4 years = a fired ass. 11-1 and no SECCG is a season of nothing. Just like 2012.

Doesn't matter he wont beat bammer and agent dawg can't beat UGA so theres at least 2 losses. Throw in LSU, FSU, & USC theres 7-5 & fired.
    • Boring Boring x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,346
    So considering how low of an opinion so many of you have of Muschamp, how do you explain winning 11 games last year, and almost winning a 12th game and playing for the SEC title?
  9. Crusher

Crusher Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +300
    We'll see what the voters think about your top ten projection next July. My guess is they won't even be in the "others receiving votes" category.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    As I said, we need people of at least minimal intelligence to be in charge of such decisions.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    Dan Quinn coordinating the defense. Meyers NFL guys playing lights out. Quinn, Young and Meyers guys leave, defense regresses.

They got every bounce, every close call and every break in 2011. Throw in a 30+ turnover ratio and you win close games.

All 3 years the offense has been bad and worse than bad in the redzone. 2 oc's in 3 years couldn't figure out how to move the ball and put it in the end zone. There's a common link and that link isn't the oc's suddenly forgetting how to call plays that work.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    Sure. That is because preseason predictions are based on the previous year's results. How many people put Auburn or Mizzou in their Top 25, or even "also getting votes."
  13. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Honestly, an 8 win season is really about as bad as it ever should ever get for UF. Typically we play 4-5 games which should be automatic wins. So that means out of the remaining 7-8 games that you should win 3-4 of them. And that is a WORST CASE scenario. We have the resources and talent pool. There are no excuses.

Unfortunately, next year I'm seeing another 7 loss season coming.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Crusher

Ratings Received:
    +300
    I think Foley really set us up for a number of years of possible mediocre records, because if 4-8 gets you retained then there is no way on God's green earth he can fire him after an "improvement" to 7-5.

The only way I think he can be fired after next year would be to go 6-6 or worse, which is a distinct possibility.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Crusher

Ratings Received:
    +300
    If we make it anywhere near the Top Ten at anytime in 2014, I'll eat my hat (and enjoy it)!
  16. LonedawgUF18280

LonedawgUF18280 Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0
    We, as in the Gator fan base, have really become a very spoiled bunch. The difference between this season and last are about a dozen plays and a dozen injuries. Everything went right last season, everything went wrong this season. We played a bunch of close games last year and didnt turn the ball over. We played a bunch of close games this season because we did turn the ball over and we lost all of them. We got our doors blown off in our last game last year just like we did this year. With everyone healthy this is a top 10 caliber team. With everyone in street cloths watching the backups and the backups backups play, we are a bad bad team with zero room for error or flexibility.

Auburn was flat out terrrible last year and now they could play for the national title. There is much more talent on this roster than what Auburn has even right now. Get a new OC, get to work in the off season and we could see the same turn around next season. The Defense will again be nasty, just get the offense in gear and this is a very dangerous team next season. Stop being so damn negative.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. 3xchump

3xchump Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Huge amount of Urban talent on Defense plus Dan Quinn. I don't want to harp on this, but "almost" goes both ways.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Wormwood says: "Expecting 9+ wins EVERY year is delusional." I guess every top tier SEC team is delusional because Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida all will put their coaches on the hot seat for only 8 wins. They all "expect" nine wins and get restless if that is not met.

CWM has coached for 3 years and his record is 22-16 and 13-11 in conference. Spurrier lost 12 conference games in 11 years at Florida while Urban lost 12 conference games in 6 years at Florida! Both averaged over 9 wins per year so expecting a coach to win 9 games almost EVERY year seems rather plausible, and averaging 9 wins is obtainable.

Everybody on this board knows you defended CWM fiercely the entire season. You were wrong - this season was unacceptable as CWM himself stated. He said he needs to review himself, his coaches and how he runs the program. He knows he did a bad job this year - you should too.

And I know you will say "but I said expecting 9 wins EVERY year" is delusional, and point to the word "every". Nobody has said CWM has to win 9 games "EVERY" year but you - it is the his record in comparison to coaches who were successful that is troubling. Perhaps, given this track record, you might desist from calling others "delusional" or lacking "minimal intelligence" as part of a straw man you created?

As to the question, the bottom line is can CWM do what he says he needs to do: Self analyze and realize he is a HC not a DC. Can he hire a competent OC and have him do the job. He has created a short leash for himself with fans, potential coaching hires and recruits so he is behind the 8 ball. My objective guess is we win 8 or fewer games and he is fired. If he wins 10 games I think he is retained no matter whether we get to Atlanta. Win 9 games - depends on who we lose to and who we beat (Ga, FSU wins and Bama/Lsu losses good for CWM) and how we look. Hope a light bulb goes off in his head and we win 13, but that is the irrational fan in me I suspect.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    Crazy thought, but maybe Auburn's improvement has to do with their new coach?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. LonedawgUF18280

LonedawgUF18280 Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0
    What Urban talent was actually playing last year? There were a hand full of defensive players but only one stud in Elam. Jenkin and Bostick were upperclassment that had been playing pretty much since day one, they should have been good but there is better talent on defense as a whole right now than what Urb left. Not to mention some of Booms recruits out played J and B near the end of the year last year. Who on offense was the "huge amount of talent"? Urb never used Gilly either and I still think the talent in the backfield is better than we have had in over a decade right now. Boom has recruited better than Urb did the last two years he was here. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offense is a different story but there was a bit of a bump even with that this past year. The class right now has some big time offensive talent if we can get them on campus. No...Urban had very little to do with our 11-2 season but he had A LOT to do with the 7-6 season the year before. This season was bad breaks and zero depth on the offensive side of the ball. You cant even blame depth for bad play of the defense down the stretch. You never expect to have your 1st, 2nd and 3rd middle LB hurt.
    • Boring Boring x 2