Best Case for Us Next Year?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATOR_4Life, Dec 3, 2013.

1. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I’m not as anti-Muschamp as most on here, but I did swing to the should be fired camp after the Georgia Southern game (with reservations). But since we are stuck with him I’m curious what everybody thinks is the best case for next year?

For me it’s Muschamp getting it. I always expect 9+ wins. But next year wins are almost beside the point (I’m taking it for granted that progress means significantly more wins). It’ll be about treating our rivals differently because no it's not just another game. It’ll be about controlling the swamp and when given the chance embarrassing our opponent (yes I miss the fun n' gun). It’ll be about controlling his emotions to let them out only when it really matters rather than just always being mad/emotional/crazy. It’ll be about an offense we believe can score at any time about and a defense we believe can make the stop when we need it. It’s putting an entertaining and successful product on the field.

End of the day I think Muschamp will get fired next year (which is my 2nd best outcome), and then get a HC job for some 2nd tier school where he’ll slowly figure it out. 5-10 years from now I'm confident he’ll be a great coach ready to head another 1st tier program. But I hope 2013 took 10 years off that learning curve, because with the right coach and a little depth along the lines I think we are a top 10 team (add in a good upperclassemen QB, and a little luck, then I think we might be NC contenders).
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868
    Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly too.
  3. 93KSig

93KSig Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Missouri is the example. Destroyed by injuries last year, SEC East champs this year. Its not too far fetched at all.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    Best case scenario we are in the playoffs. I am not saying we will be but I definitely think it is a real possibility.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Reasonable best case scenario? 9-3 and we make our first trip to Atlanta in 5 years
  6. MelBeachGator

MelBeachGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Atlanta or bust next year for Will...that's the benchmark in his 4th year.
  7. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    I'm just looking forward to us not breaking a whole string of streaks. Seriously, good post OP. I feel very similar in regards to CWM. I'm hoping he figures it out as it would mean that the Gators are winning again. This program has too much potential that honestly has not seen fruition.
  8. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Unless some talent and coaching hits the offensive side of the ball next year, and I'll reserve judgement till the OC is announced, and the recruiting ends, I don't foresee that much of an improvement. The schedule is another brutal one, with Alabama, and FSU and LSU et. al.. We may win another two and if lucky, three games, as I see it right now. Could change my opinion as the off season progresses, but we'll see.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    im with you but honestly i don't think he will end up HC at a 2nd tier coach. il bet he ends up being the DC at UGA, and honestly that sucks. the guy may not be the best head coach but i will give the guy all the credit in the world for being one of the best DC's in college football if not the best. after UGA's defense this year, and Richt coming out and backing their current DC; it almost seems richt is waiting for muschamp. may be crazy but i could really really see that happening
  10. NiftyGator

NiftyGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    I agree with all your statements except what did it for me was the loss to Vandy. I think 9-3 is reasonable, but that isn't enough here, unfortunately for Muschamp. It is East Championship or bust.
  11. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    I don't know about that. Let's say UF does what Bama did this year--lose one game and miss the SEC Championship. You would fire Muschamp after a season like that?
  12. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Agree. So much up in the air right now, but we do know it will be a very difficult schedule. I'm just hoping we aren't embarassed again like we were this year
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,254
    Best case is a national championship... although that is an admittedly low probability.

Barring another injury riddled season, we should have enough talent to compete with anyone. If we get some breaks we could have a season like Auburn or Mizzou... or Bama or USCe. Anything like that would have to be considered successful and a good sign for the future.

The tough part for us and for Foley will be the expectations against a schedule that may include five top 10 teams, and seven top 25 teams in the regular season. How many losses are acceptable against a schedule like that?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 3xchump

3xchump Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Best case scenario is 8-4. Most likely scenario is 6-6. Worst case scenario is 3-9.

Based on most likely scenario

Wins: Idaho, E. Mich, UK, UT, Vandy, E. Kentucky
    Loses: @ Bama, LSU, Mizz, UGA, USC, @FSU

Hopefully less of this:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,207
    Best reasonable case scenario?

* 10-2 with a chance to COMPETE for a trip to Atlanta. We could go 11-1 and not go to Atlanta. Doesn't make it a poor season. Expecting 9+ wins EVERY year is delusional.

* An effective, efficient, but not necessarily a dominant offense. Don't need the Fun n' Gun (no one uses it anymore, not even Spurrier). Don't need the Quack Attack. Just move the chains and score once you reach the Red Zone.

* Win the games you are supposed to, and be competitive in the games you are supposed to lose, with an upset or two in the bargin.

* No need to embarrass our opponents, but win games decisively, staying in control from start to finish.

* Rivalry wins do not count any more than other wins. That said, win them, unless the rivals are spectacular. Then compete.

* I couldn't care less about his demeanor onthe sidelines.

* I couldn't care less about our offense being entertaining. The game is all about success. I don't care if the score of every game is 21-7. Just win.

* With only 7 lost starters from this year's team, we are top ten team with Muschamp right now. He did it in 2012 when he last had an experienced team. He can do it again. He no longer needs a "learning curve." After three years, he should understand the roles of a head coach, and I think he does.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,207
    People who say things like this are clearly not thinking clearly...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 3xchump

3xchump Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Ok, saying we are top 10 next year is not reasonable, it's overly optimistic. I will give you we have the potential to be top 25 with what we have returning minus transfers and players going pro.
  18. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    As bad as things seem, Missouri was 5-7 last year and Auburn was 3-9. You never know. But I don't have a lot of faith in Muschamp.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234

In a word. Yes. No Atlanta, he's fired.
    • Boring Boring x 5
  20. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    We are not going places with Muschamp. How is he going to recruit top recruits? Does he have any super star athletes now? It will take someone with a great reputation to kick start this program.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1