1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Best 2013 Antivirus Software For Windows 7

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by Jaggator, May 13, 2013.

1. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    Bitdefender Antivirus Plus...Best and least expensive

What say you?

Anyone familiar and would like to add your comments? In the next 30 days my software protection will expire. Would you purchase this antivirus software that was rated best?

Here's the link...

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/windows-7/
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +742
    I usually go with Mcafee which is free as part of my internet service (and noticeably absent from the review) and free stuff since and my computer has occasionally been infected but am usually able to clear things up. Worse case is having to reload onto another hard drive that I keep. my daughter just got a laptop for when she goes off to college so i'll probably look to get this.
  3. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,691
    Microsoft Security Essentials. Free, effective, and less overhead than the alternatives.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    It is my understanding that the "free stuff" is lacking in some capacity. That's the reason it's free. Can't be as secure with email, etc as the other software you pay for.

If it's free, how are they making money?

I'd like Lake or some other computer geeks to weigh in on this topic.
  5. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Malwarebytes is my choice. I used bitdefender for about 5 years or so. Slowed down the computer too much IMHO. I haven't tried it lately-I know the price came way down. But I love Malwarebytes.
  6. irish2u2

irish2u2 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    Mac OS X. :joecool:
  7. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,691
    Microsoft Security Essentials uses the same engine as their enterprise Antivirus software. They released it and made it free because they were getting so much negative publicity several years back about the security of Windows as compared to Apple. It also integrates into the OS better than any alternative and this is how it achieves less system overhead.
  8. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +215
    I understand the rationale that something that is free cannot be as good as something that costs money. However, there are a couple of counter arguments to this. First, the virus signatures are typically well known and public soon after they are in the wild. Second, in the case of Microsoft, they are very motivated to keep the systems using their operating systems malware free. Starting with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 Microsoft Security Essentials are standard parts of the operating system.

MSE is free only in the sense that Microsoft does not charge for it, directly. Microsoft development is generally driven by how many licenses of a product a particular feature can sell. My guess is that the product management view is that MSE has been able to help sell significant numbers of Windows licenses.

About a year ago one of my clients experienced a day zero attack and sent the signature to both Microsoft and McAfee. Microsoft had the updated data files in a day or so while McAfee took over a week which resulted in some server pain for the customer as virtually all their desktops at the time were ‘protected’ by McAfee at the time. Microsoft is not always the most responsive or customer focused but virtually every experience I have seen or heard about MSE has been positive.

For what it’s worth
  9. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    I have to agree with Microsoft Security Essentials. There's absolutely no reason for a home user to pay for anti-virus software.
  10. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    Does the free version of MSE software serve any protection for your email?
  11. halsgator

halsgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    FWIT. I have used Bitdefender since January 2013. The anti-vrius has located a couple of problems I had when it was installed. I hardly know it is on my system. I highly recommend it.

I used Essential for several years but had trouble picking up several viruses.
  12. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Stick to the pub and stay away from the pr0n. Then it doesn't matter what you've got.
  13. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I've been using MSE...Microsoft....for several years now with no problems at all. Also use Malwarebytes and love it as well. Have Microtrend House Call installed and occasionally run it as a scan. Happy with all 3 and all are free.

Used Norton Symantec for a year or two and HATED IT. It bogged down the CPU in my laptop and made everything work so frigging slow, my Outlook mail would actually time out while downloading mail!! I will NEVER use Symantec again. It sucks and costs--two solid reasons to never go with them.

Using Malware bytes made me uninstall what I previously had...Ad-aware, and SpyBot. Neither of them did as well as Malwarebytes was doing so I dumped both, ad stayed with Malwarebytes ever since. No problems with it ever.

IMO, there may be some AV software which is a bit more comprehensive--but if you pretty much stay on safe sites and avoid some rather....risky....ones, I can't see the need to pay for AV or Malware software ever again.

Just MHO.
  14. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +215
    No and yes. Virtually no anti-virus programs actually scan the incoming email stream, including MSE. The default settings are for real-time protection so every file change is scanned. Since email messages and, obviously, attachments are just files they get scanned by the file scans.

For additional information and more technical gore feel free to read Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail.
  15. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Malwarebytes, WSE are my go to protection.
  16. SteelGator

SteelGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    These guys (http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/) do good testing of all the major AV software packages, free and paid. It's worth a few minutes to check out their rankings.

I had been running MS Security Essentials for years and was happy, but seeing their mediocre detection and repair scores gave me pause. I am now running Avast Free 7.0. Much better test results, still light on system resources, and free.
  17. gatornation240

gatornation240 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,555
    I'm using the MS tools and a combination of AVG & Malwarebytes. I try to update regularly and scan my PC (full using all three) at least once a week. This is excessive for the average user but it works it's been years since my PC has been infected with anything.
  18. TechnoNinja

TechnoNinja New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    bitdefender is nice as long as your computer can handle it. I use it and it protects my computer really good. you can see why from other peoples reviews here at http://www.hopreviews.com/reviews/bitdefender-total-security-2013/ if you want. But if you don't want to pay for an antivirus, then i suggest using a combination of MSE and Malwarebytes. It inst as good as bitdefender but it is good enough and it doesn't take up as much resources.
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,652
  20. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    Thanks to all posters for your suggestions and advice.

I decided to go with the FREE version of MSE based on your comments above.

So far so good. My computer seems faster after I deleted the old anti-virus software.

Someone emailed me some good info today that I'll share with anyone else reading this thread.

These 7 best FREE anti virus programs outperform many paid anti viruses!

1. Avast! Free Antivirus

download.cnet.com

Avast! Free Antivirus tops the list of best free anti virus programs because CNET rates it 5 stars hands down! I downloaded this program about two weeks ago and I love its interface. Because it works on Windows 8, it is touch friendly and very easy to use. It uses the same tile-like interface as the Windows 8 operating system. Plus, it updates automatically and frequently; sometimes it updates more than once a day, so you're always protected against the most recent malware out there!

2. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6

download.cnet.com

For a free program, NOD32 is outstanding! CNET raved about the protection it offers and how fast it works. Plus, it doesn't slow down your PC like many other antivirus programs out there. The only complaint CNET had was that it had a rather confusing interface, but to each their own, right?

3. Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition

download.cnet.com

Rated four stars by both CNET and by consumers, you can't go wrong with Panda, (not to mention the name is cute too!). If you're a computer novice and not too adventurous when it comes to the different features an antivirus offers, this program is perfect for you. It doesn't have many features, but that doesn't mean the protection isn't equally as good as other programs out there (because it totally is!).

4. AVG Free anti Virus

download.cnet.com

This anti virus is probably the most common out there; I mean, a lot of people I know have installed AVG on their computers and haven't had a problem since. I tried it out as well and have to agree that it's a pretty darn good program. Not to mention CNET rated it five stars! It's very light on your PC, which means it won't cause it to slow down as much as other security programs, and it packs almost perfect protection!

5. Comodo Internet Security

download.cnet.com

The cool part about this anti virus program is that, well, it's not just an anti virus program. It also comes packaged with a firewall. I have their firewall installed on my computer and have to say that I haven't had a problem. This program is chock full of awesome features too, so take a moment and check it out.

6. ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall

download.cnet.com

CheckPoint is pretty well known for their awesome firewall, ZoneAlarm, but now, just like Comodo, they've packaged it with an anti virus (and a pretty good one at that!). Check it out!

7. Microsoft Security Essentials

download.cnet.com

Last but not least is Microsoft Security Essentials. It's one of those programs where you just set it and forget. It only alerts you when something is wrong, so if you prefer an anti virus program that stays in the background and out of your hair, this one might be the one for you.

So, there ya have it! I have to say that even if these programs don't work well for you, you can always uninstall them and try another. Everyone's preferences are different. One person might like the interface of a certain program, where another may not. It's a matter of trial and error.
    • Like Like x 1