Ben Carson, M.D.: potential GOP presidential candidate

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 92gator, Mar 14, 2014.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,364
    Tim, first of all, when Dyno said Carson said the usual "we can't say what we believe," you disagreed and said he hadn't researched. Then you quoted Carson:
    . "We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe."

You know, that's the same thing.
    Meanwhile, a few phone calls from the WH do not actually stop people from talking. Who is being stifled? Who's afraid to say what they believe?
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,364
    Dave, notice anything ironic about claiming that anyone who doesn't believe the constant GOP line about the media out to get them is a lemming?

Second, when someone as well known as Carson says living in the U.S. is like being in Nazi Germany, something even the Daily Caller called 'incendiary" it's going to get attention. It's going to get quoted, including by conservative sites like Breitbart and the Daily Caller.
    That's hardly evidence the mean ol' leftist media is out to get him.
  3. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,346
    Is anyone familiar with prewar Nazi Germany and how it evolved into what it became?
    Google or Bing it.
  4. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I think we disagree on the nature of "specifics."

"Government intrusion," is one thing, "Nazi Germany," is another. One is the NSA ease-dropping, one is gas chambers, invading neighboring countries, and genocide.

Invoking Nazi Germany to make a political point is repulsive, imo. There are other ways to signify your disagreement with the Administration.
  5. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,262
    The liberal masses such as yourself, the media and Hollywood types mock and ridicule the beliefs of those that lean right as to marginalize them as stupid, radical, ignorant and intolerant of society at large.
  6. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,364
    all you guys do is spout the same whines over and over, no matter the situation. Again, Carson's comments originated on a conservative website and were picked up by other conservative websites.
    Damn those Hollywood elites!

As far as criticism, yes, candidates and other well-known figures one side of the political aisle are criticized by those on the other side.
    You guys blast Obama, Clinton and every other Democrat you can think of 24/7, and then whine because someone on the right gets criticized? Oh, it's all just so unfair ......
    Jeez
  7. dynogator

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Some beliefs deserve ridicule. You must agree, as you do it daily.
  8. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,346
    Hitler rose to power through propaganda and appealing to emotion rather than interlect.
    He got power and then went on his rampage. Check it out and see how he rose to power.
  9. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058

That was the point all along, until the smear artists decided to twist what he said.

Really. We ALL should be very afraid of the power the media has over the electorate in these elections... As if some didn't learn in 2008 and 2012. We have the media to blame for the piss-poor shape America is in right now.

Way to go, lemmings. You took the bait hook, line and sinker. In fact, it looks like you are about to take it again.
  10. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058
    Sounds a lot like the German Nazi supporters during Hitlers rise to power... Until they figured out that it was too late to stop the ridicule, and actually begin to investigate those "crazy" notions that they previously discounted after reading only the first sentence...
  11. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,262
    I do no such thing but go ahead with your deflection.
  12. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +504
    Really, really, as if Barry had any experience. You don't like Ben because he's black.
  13. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +504
  14. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +504
    Why do I not recall any negative comments from you concerning the inflammatory comments from the current Prez. against Christians, the military and the tea party. Hypocrisy at it's best.
  15. dynogator

Ratings Received:
    +297
    If you don't ridicule anyone on Too Hot (including Obama) then you are certainly unique. I'm pretty sure you're not unique.
  16. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Who the heck knows, perhaps you have a bad memory? Maybe you haven't read all my comments over the years? In any case, perhaps you can do me a favor and list the statements by Obama that I've allegedly not been critical?
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  17. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    A candidate putting out a plan is very different than actually trying to enact it in office. I seriously doubt McCain would have taken on any real reform of the system just as GWB, GHWB, and RR did not. And let's not even try to say that years after the fact that the ACA was passed, the pubs finally got around to putting something together that this counts as effort. It wasn't even serious and they've made no real effort at promoting. Heck, I don't even think they believe it would work. And yes, I am deriding pubs who for decades did nothing except around the edges with COBRA (Reagan) and Medicare Part D (GWB), the latter of which was unfunded. And they've had the power to try to make something happen, so I think a good deal of this derision is their just deserts. And I don't think the pubs can disown some core ideas in the ACA as easily as they'd like since they were born in the Heritage Foundation and based on market principles. Rather, they've taken to simply opposing much of which they'd probably be okay with had this been proposed by a pub president. Actually, not only opposing but using some of the most absurd rhetoric they can dream up about it in the process.

As for the VA, yes, I think it's a good system, as do many others for good reason. Vets rate their care very high, often higher than people rate their care in the private sector. It's not without it's problems, of course, but it is an excellent system that was much improved from decades ago. But really what you are getting at is the role of government, which is an age old question. You want it out of most areas of life, which is the standard right leaning position, I think government having some involvement can be a good and often necessary thing especially with something as important as health care, which is pretty run of the mill left leaning position. The problem as I see it is that the private sector's concern isn't to ensure everyone gets adequate, affordable coverage, but to make a profit, which is good for them but not necessarily everyone else. It is also something that is to some extent at odds with the goal of health care, in which other issues must be considered.

I look around at other countries and see quite a bit of success at cheaper costs and pretty high satisfaction--very high in some cases--and wonder (in horrified amazement) how the pubs can see this as comparable to slavery (and if they truly believe it, then the avg right winger is off his rocker). It's not controversial in other countries because most normal, rational people recognize the critical importance of health care access and appreciate the benefits that derive from receiving good care. I know I did when I wasn't covered but had the VA as an option and I know those in Japan--a system I am very familiar with--also enjoy it and use their health care much more than those in the US and it still costs less. So no, I make no apologies about wanting some type of universal coverage even if government involvement can raise issues at times. I also don't fool myself into believing it's perfect either--or that it could ever be. At the same time, I would hope the those on the right would stop fooling themselves into thinking the free market solves all when it clearly does not and cannot. I'd just point to the economic crisis and the millions of Americans who couldn't afford health care regarding that folly.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  18. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    River, the administration of this President shouldn't be making phone calls, emails, having conversations, tweeting etc to any journalistic organization and telling them what they should or shouldn't be saying. I honestly think that's one of the things that pisses me off most about this Administration, it's not even just the straight policies, it's the total lack of respect for the office and principles our nation was founded on. They have absolutely no business ever contacting a journalistic organization to even recommend things.
  19. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,364
    I'd rather they not do it. Don't like it at all. But comparing it to Nazi Germany is simply ignorance or pandering to an ignorant audience.
  20. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    They've done it multiple times River, there's multiple reports of them doing this. I mean, even in principle, just on its face, it's despicable man. I don't know that he considers that type of thing, solely by itself, what makes it like Nazi Germany. I think if you take all of the reports of them attempting to edit journalism, the possibility of them using the IRS to defeat enemies, you start to get a picture where someone could say what he did. Like I said before, I personally found it extreme, but I don't think it's worth crucifying him over.