Ben Carson, M.D.: potential GOP presidential candidate

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 92gator, Mar 14, 2014.

1. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626

Why some Republicans think a charismatic brain surgeon can win the White House.

Between now and the presidential primary season, expect to hear more about Ben Carson. Though unknown to many Americans, the retired brain surgeon is a conservative pin-up. He was raised by a black single mother in Detroit, almost flunked out of school and nearly stabbed a teenage rival to death, before finding God, heading to Yale and becoming a paediatric neurosurgeon. He has written several books about his life--one became a TV film (Dr Carson was played by Cuba Gooding junior).

Political celebrity came in 2013 when the doctor used a speech to a National Prayer Breakfast to lecture a stony-faced Barack Obama, sitting a few feet away, about the national debt, those who treat poverty as an excuse for failure and the "horrible" menace of political correctness. A Fox News TV contract followed, and many invitations to address conservative gatherings.

Fans want to draft Dr Carson to run for the presidency in 2016. They call him a citizen-statesman for an anti-politics age. They praise his philanthropy (he runs a scholarship fund for star pupils in poor schools), and his appeal to churchgoing, socially conservative voters of all races. Their idol has said that he might run "if the Lord grabbed me by the collar and made me". Some are willing to try more earthly interventions.

According to official filings, the recently-formed National Draft Ben Carson for President Committee (slogan: "Run Ben Run!") raised $1.2m dollars in the last two months of 2013. The committee, which operates without sanction from Dr Carson, boasts that it has raised another $1.6m since. The committee's co-founder, Vernon Robinson, makes an unblushing, race-based pitch. Democrats have scooped about 90% of the black vote in presidential elections since 2000, helping to offset a consistent Republican lead among whites. In 2016, argues Mr Robinson, Dr Carson has only to take 17% of the black vote and "Hillary loses every swing state in the country".

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ben-carson-2016-2014-3#ixzz2vyeqcQcw

http://www.businessinsider.com/ben-carson-2016-2014-3

Seems promising for the GOP.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,070
    Never. But it'll make for some good theater if he gets to hang out for a while.
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,482
    If the GOP just really wants to run a black person, they'd be hard pressed to beat Condoleeza Rice in their search for best qualified one to choose...

Of course the GOP won't actually nominate either of them, but she would come across as a much more serious candidate than "here's a black guy with zero political experience at all that we saw on TV who criticizes Obama too. hope black people vote for him!"
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,383
    I know he's a bright and accomplished guy .... but, damn:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-carson-goes-godwin-american-very-much-like-nazi-germany/
  5. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Using some of the same tired, extremist rhetoric to do so as well...
  6. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,359
    Not having a political background is a plus not a negative.
    We now have a politician leading this country and he damn sure is not a plus.
    It would be funny to hear the left call the reps racist because they have a black candidate, but you can bet your a** they would.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    DR Carson will be marginalized by the left for venturing 'off the plantation' (translation-he disagrees with the progressive leftist movement-also referred to as the modern Democratic party) if there is even a hint of a thought of maybe, possibly, perhaps, considering an outside chance of a run.
  8. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    So far he's proven himself all too willing to engage in the same type of stupid things that give politics a bad name.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,608
    I would hardly call his truthful comments slithering in the gutter
  10. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    I changed it. He's made a lot of comments and yes, some of them are absolutely gutter worthy stuff. Invoking Nazism and slavery as he has is not exactly the kind of substantive rhetoric one should expect from an intellectual of his character. It's bush league child's stuff.
  11. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,608
    again his was accurate in his comments- I get you don't like them-but he was accurate
  12. rajinGator

rajinGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    I like and very much respect him, can play a key political role, just not as a presidential candidate IMO.
  13. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,608
    would not mind seeing him as VP
  14. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    No, not just inaccurate, but ugly. It's the kind of debased talk that demeans him more than any of his political opponents.
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    Being a brilliant doctor/politician worked for Ron Paul.

Gotta love Ben Carson as the pro-business, anti-Obama candidate.
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,248
    All he will do is what Santorum and Gingrich did for the GOP in the last election - make the inevitable candidate have to run to the right in the primary to cover someone who has small but vocal following in the party, but who has zero chance of getting elected nationally.
    This is a guy who made the nazi Germany comment, compared the ACA to slavery, equated gay marriage with NAMBLA, essentially said those who believe in evolution lack morality among other things. He would be nothing more than a negative presence for the GOP, but run him, he would be fun to watch.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,123
    You are aware that he's one of those outspoken conservatives who was hit with an IRS audit? His was shortly after the prayer breakfast...

According to Carson, audits and other harassment began in May or June of 2013, just a few months after his speech at the National Prayer Breakfast. Gradually, he added, the harassment expanded to include family members, associates, and his charitable endeavors.

"I’ve been quite -- I would say astonished at the level of hostility that I have encountered," he told Newsmax TV's John Bachman.

"The IRS has investigated me. They said, ‘I want to look at your real estate holdings.’ There was nothing there. ‘Well, let’s expand to an entire [year], everything.’ There was nothing there. ‘Let’s do another year.’ Finally, after a few months, they went away. But they’ve come after my family, they’ve come after my friends, they’ve come after associates," he added.

Not hard to believe this is retribution after (not) hearing from Lois Lerner. Using the force of government to punish dissent is very "Gestapo" like.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ben...arget-of-irs-harassment-for-criticizing-obama
  18. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Strange (not really) seeing so many on the left complain about someone on the right using over the top rhetoric when they themselves call or imply anyone that disagrees with our President a racist. Are you concerned that someone might play by your playbook??

As for Carson, he seems a very caring and concerned man that is not afraid to speak his mind and indeed has very little experience in politics. As was mentioned above, that is a huge plus. Just as a reminder, that was the way our founding fathers envisioned it. I look forward to seeing and reading more about him as he hopefully steps forward to help this country in any way he can.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. rajinGator

rajinGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    3rd world, statist behavior. Why does this administration continue to act in this manner? Because they can.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I've had my fill of inexperience thanks