Belly/Body Fat

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by slmdLS1, Jun 8, 2012.

1. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    say, under your navel, southward....i guess you'd refer to it as "waistline fat" and not a belly fat per se...

I've gotten to a point in my "weight loss journey" from 300lbs, to currently 178lbs, where i don't concentrate on weight anymore, but body fat/body composition. Is there anything to kill that last bit of fat, as it seems lower than ab workouts can reach.

I didn't have caliper when i started but i would have had to guess i was about 30% body fat. My calipers have me about 13.5-14% currently and my goal is to get below 10% into single digits.

I do plenty of cardio, still fast intermittently, and don't cheat but once every 2 weeks or so. anything else i can do? thought about trying a sauna a day a week at the gym...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +892
    Yep, stay the course with the calorie deficit. Remember that having lost all that weight (good going!) you're metabolism is slower than ever. So, if you're no longer losing. Decrease calories even more. You're almost there. Take it to the bitter end.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    Some thoughts.

1. Your progress thus far is incredible
    2. sub 10% bodyfat is very hard for most to maintain year round.
    3. If you are really around 13-14% its most likely not stubborn fat that you need to do anything special to work off. Dream is right just keep at the calorie deficit.

Personally I am right around the same weight and bf%. Calipers have me a little bit lower but I dont trust it and instead use an equation based on neck, waist, height, and weight.

I would just push the calorie deficit on your diet and maybe try adding more weight lifting to your routine. And dont waste your time doing ab exercises as you cant spot reduce.
  4. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Thats amazing smld, just keep at it the you are on the home stretch.
  5. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280
    Awesome job.

A few years back before I turned 40 I started training for triathlons and do 4-5 a year from sprint to half iron distances.

I had the same stubborn area around my waist and lower back.

Swimming I think has had the biggest impact shaving that off and running 15-20 miles a week helps too.

I havent lost any weight (due to muscle gain?) but my waist is 2 inches smaller. Im 5-11 180 lbs.

Again nice work, keep it up.
  6. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    really well done. stay the course- if you're so close to your goal, don't give up now...
  7. ThomasGoldkamp

ThomasGoldkamp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I'm in the same range just cutting down on calorie intake over the last two months or so.
  8. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    why is your metabolism slower after losing weight? never thought about that...less of your body to churn/burn?

thanks...my caliper puts me at 13.5%, but i tend to add a 0.5-1% just to account for possible human error.

whats your neck, waist, height, weight formula? im about 5'10, 182lbs as of about 30 mins ago.

Thanks

Thanks...i started training and ran a few 5k's. My weekly cardio consists of at least a 3 mile run a day(sometimes 6 miles) so that's about 21-27 miles a week, some days i'll switch it up and break it up HIIT style. Im sort of the same way with the waist, i've added a few pounds 2-4 here and there, and my pants feel more loose.

I want to concentrate on melting this fat off and getting shredded more so than i am losing any more pounds, even though shredding will net in losing a few more pounds, at this point i wouldn't be counting pounds...
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
  10. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +892
    slmd, yes, less tissue to maintenance. That's the main reason. You're a smaller you. That's why, as your near your ultimate goal, you have to actually recalibrate. There comes a time when the old calibration doesn't amount to a calorie deficit.

Another factor to consider is non-exercise related activity. Typically, as people near their weight-loss goals ... it falls off. This is why some people wear a pedometer, to ensure they're getting their general activity (which is where you burn most of your calories through movement).