Being #12 is good news

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Sep 3, 2013.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +692
    GatornGa

There are reasons Muschamp asks us to get loud and says we are the greatest. Fan noise disrupts our opponents' play calling, causes them penalties. There are reasons that "We are the boys of old Florida" is sung in the second half and the team joins us in singing the Gator fight song. At Texas A&M their fans are called the "12th man" and are cherished as part of the team.

The fact that you are detached is your choice, but the fact that you criticize those who are not for how they feel about being part of the team is your problem. The fact that you chose to do it reflects on you not on us. Quit belaboring your argument as it takes away from the purpose of the thread and just draws attention to you. Perhaps that is your purpose.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    :laugh::wave:

Some people don't really understand the whole rankings thingy yet.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Forget him. To some people rooting for your team is not allowed, and hoping for a higher ranking is crying...
  4. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +692
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    You make good points about positive/negative fans, though I don't believe it plays in your take on using the word "we." I don't believe the term "we" indicates someone is necessarily a member of the team. We are Gators. For many of us, we are future, present, or former students and faculty/staff.

"We are the boys from old Florida . . ."
    "In all kinds of weather, we'll all stick together . . ."
    "Florida our alma mater, thy glorious name we praise."
    "On to the goal we'll fight our way for Florida."

Maybe use of the word of "we" is not so inappropriate.
  6. GATORnGA31909

GATORnGA31909 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    The use of we isn't inappropriate I guess when its used in a positive manner..I have no qualms with that..since in fact its being positive.. my main point is the negative we's being used..trust me on this..I'm not detached at all..I love the Gators with everything I am and will die that way..my feelings about that won't change..my original post was never intended to create such drama..it was how I felt at the time after reading some much negativity on this thread and many more from those who can't enjoy a win for what it is..I'm not one of those. I'll sing the boys from old Florida just like everyone else..I'm born and bred Florida and Gators..I just don't use the terminology of we all the time especially in a negative light..so please understand that I'm not here to bash those who are proud and love their team..I feel a lot of what I said was misunderstood..
  7. Gatorstew

Gatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    IMO, 'we' as in Gator Nation however you define yourself be it lifelong fan, former student, grad, part of the faculty, etc. But no, 'we' won't be suiting up anytime soon. Semantics I suppose.

However, I do remember the time 'we' (my team) actually won the conference title in baseball at the college I attended. Afterwards in the celebration on the field, our coach told all fans to come onto the field to celebrate with their sons, grandsons, friends, etc. He said, "You all are part of this team also." I feel Muschamp would say and do the same thing if the field would fit 90k plus :)