Beer you are drinking right now

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jan 30, 2012.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Had two Sucks several hours ago, then recently a fight with my wife. She's in bed and I'm sitting up drinking a Zombie Dust I picked up right after I lost that fight. Tired of fighting. Tired of losing. Not quite tired of drinking.

She doesn't drink and doesn't like it when I drink. Maybe she should stop picking fights.
  2. RayUF07

RayUF07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I'll send you 1-2 if you want. Pm me.
  3. pnotine

pnotine VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    If this is a cry for help, disregard the following
    Pork Slap Farmhouse Ale
    Good beer in a can
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    I had that the other day at a tasting. I was the only person that liked it. Don't know what that says about me. Cool can too.
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    My first ever CCB jai alai. Fantastic!
  6. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Mr. Beer Cowboy Lager. Just opened the first bottle of a new batch. Yum!
  7. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Excellent.

I'm drinking a growler of this Green Room/ Cigar city collaboration ipa named white devil. Amazing!
  8. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Ole reliable Silver Bullet, never go wrong with one of those.
  9. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +613
    You know, you really can't. Especially if it's June and you're holding a fishing rod.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Or five or six for that matter. Probably can't tell the difference between just having one and having six, except for the headache. I prefer Coors Banquet.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Been collecting some nice beers for a tasting I'm going to have with my soon to be former business partner. Starting to pick out one or two at a time, since the two of us probably can't drink eight or ten strong craft beers in one night. So far tonight I've had a Six Point Brewery Resin Imperial IPA in a 12 oz can. It's 9.2 ABV and 104 IBU. Very nice. Heavy pine notes. Must have been mostly Chinook hops. Excellent value at 8.99 for a four pack. Set two aside for the tasting.

Worked down from there to Zombie Dust. Bought a six pack last night and could only get through two of them. Amazing what an assertive beer it is at only 6.45 ABV and 60 IBUs. Thick, sticky and quite pungent with mostly grapefruit notes. It's one of those single hop beers, using only Citra hops, which I think is my favorite variety. Drank two and saved two.

Just broke into my second six pack of Hopslam. Took me Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get through my last one. I was going to age this one, but I'm getting ready to "cleanse" for a couple of months, which means pushing my tasting ahead of time. This beer is very thick and laces nicely, more than any of the other beers I've had tonight. Then again, I may not have rinsed my glass after the Zombie Dust.

Hopslam is very different from what it's been in the past. I thought it was just me, but I've talked to a few of the local experts. They say it's better. It's 10% ABV. Not finding anything about the IBU count, but I don't think the amount of hops matters as much as what varieties they put it in it. This has equal amounts of six different hop varieties, then gets a "massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops." They top it off with Michigan honey, which sounds weird, but you barely notice it. Probably adds to the thickness and blends with the high alcohol sweetness.

Still have of two or more of each of these, plus a bomber of Rye-on-Rye and the DFH 120. I'd like to have more variety, but it's almost two much beer for two 50+ year old dads. We're having the tasting at his house, which is about two blocks from the lake in Wrigleyville. I live in Oak Park, which is a beautifully scenic, but ridiculously long drive to Wrigleyville and a dangerous drive back. I usually take the train, but I don't know how I'd haul that much beer with me on the CTA. Should probably plan on crashing there. His wife is known to make a wicked breakfast, assuming she's not too hungover herself. She won't touch the beers, but she's quite the vodka martini drinker.

Hope they get a babysitter. A hot one.
  12. RayUF07

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I actually tried that at the tasting room tonight. I wasn't really impressed. Perhaps I am just spoiled by the other great stuff they offer.
  13. RayUF07

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Wow, what an up and down day/night.

Started off working, sucks as usual but it pays the bills. Got off early due to my little brother ignoring my advice and getting married Saturday anyway. Figuring I need to bring some goodies to his funeral, I left work a little early and headed to Cigar City. I know they are offering Peach Jai Alai growlers, and that is one of his favorites. Besides, they have a new Blueberry Jai Alai on tap also, I can try it as I wait.

On the way I stop by the Total Wine down the street. My goal is to obtain White Oak and perhaps some Palate Wrecker and Sucks. I've been in search of them for a couple weeks, no dice. Fortunately I am able to grab two packs of Sucks and two of the palate wrecker. No White Oak, but I know I can get it at the tasting room, it's just a couple bucks more. It seems the day is off to a great start.

I get to CC and sit down to enjoy a Blueberry Jai Alai. It was tasty, so I had another. I try and get 2 quantity Gallon growlers of Peach, for the wedding, but they inform me they can only do the Quart growlers of Peach, not a Gallon. Fail. I instead settle for 2 Quarts of Peach, and 2 quarts Red Tocobaga; both very tasty, fresh, and sure to be a hit at the wedding. I glance over and see Nitro Secret Rendezvous on tap. It's a bourbon aged stout, with chocolate etc. I get a glass of it and then start thinking; perhaps since I can't get the 2 Gallons of Peach, I'll just grab a sixtel of Jai Alai, my brothers favorite regular offering. Done deal. I grab a case of White Oak, pay for the growlers and keg, and get on my way. So far, so good.

I get back to the rehearsal dinner, everything is okay. Get the keg on ice, ready to be tapped tomorrow. Walk through the ceremony, White Oak in hand, it's a good night. Have dinner, enjoy more White Oak, still a great night.

Get home, bring the beer in to throw it in the coolers and get ready for tomorrow, and as I am carrying one of the palate wrecker 4 packs, much to my dismay the bottom falls out. Damnit! 4 bottles busted in my garage. $13 down the drain. Or on the garage floor, if you will. I'm now tempted to keep the other 4 pack here for myself, I haven't tried it this year and now with only 4 left I am worried I won't get many/any at the wedding if I bring it. Hmmm...

So as I am pissed and contemplating how at 12:30AM I am going to clean this mess off the garage, my wife says to me....you got a package today, why don't you open it and it will make you feel better.

She knows, that our own Channingcrowderhungry has sent me a package of beer. I've been waiting to open it and it didn't disappoint. She was right, it did make it a little better even though the 4 pack was splattered all over the garage. He went above and beyond, and for that I want to thank him. I will enjoy the goodies and share some at the wedding tomorrow. You sir will be a part of a great celebration as we watch my brother end his life by getting married. JK...I am very happy for him and he is about to embark on what I hope is the best years of his life. He truly has a good woman and I couldn't be happier for him.

Okay, I know none of you care about that, lol. I am done rambling now. I hope everyone had a great night.

Ray
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Glad you got the box safe and sound. I sent three boxes out to fellow gators in this thread. Mainly because it's been such a fun thread, and secondly if I'm going to give some good beers new loving parents, I'd rather it be beer loving gator fans.

RIP palatewrecker (2012-2013) we hardly knew 'ye

Cheers!
  15. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Drinking a Stillwater table beer. Saison with Brett. If u like funky Brett beers this is for you.
  16. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Putting 2 big butts on the egg in the am. Check out total at the local IGA was 49.90. The store offers 5 bucks off any purchase over 50 the girl tells me...

I grab a single dead guy ale. I got paid 3 bucks to drink this brew. It tastes good....
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,555
    I having a Mich Ultra wirh my Pizza
  18. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Man, that is such a great beer. Back in collge at the beginning of the month when I had a few bucks, I'd buy a 4 pack and treat then like they were my children. Still grab a 4 once in awhile.
  19. wengator

wengator Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Corona while watching a little Gator Basketball! Good night!
  20. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +613
    31-12... You know it!