Beer you are drinking right now

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jan 30, 2012.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Having a DFH 90 is like going back to first person you ever had sex with. You wonder if it was as good as you remember. Then you crack it open, smell and taste it (the beer I mean). Hell yes!

Having my IPA tasting in several weeks. I've got most of the beers lined up, ending with the DFH 120 I picked up this week. Will definitely include some DFH 90 to keep things moving upwards. Might even put it after the Hopslam. Technically, it's not as strong, but it's thicker and more bitter. The honey in the Hopslam takes some of the edge off. Will probably follow the DFH 90 with Rye on Rye. Need to find something around 12% abv and 100 IBUs to fit between the Rye on Rye and the 120. Devil Dancer would be perfect, but it's not available this time of year. Any suggestions?
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Hop stoopid is 104 IBU I think and readily available. Not sure about the ABV though.
  3. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +622
    I'm a lightweight. If I drank what you described above, strange, I'd feel like shit the next day. Especially when I mix a lot of IPA's.
  4. RayUF07

RayUF07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Fresh Growler of Peach Jai Alai for tonight.

[​IMG]
  5. RayUF07

Ratings Received:
    +224
    It's 8%
  6. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    I see that your growler has a clamp on cap.
    The growler stores in the metro Atlanta area are using screw in caps and heat shrink wrapper. My guess that the heat shrink is a state or county requirement to keep you legal with the open container laws.
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +779
    I have two or three a week. It's about 8.5%.
  8. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +779
    With beers like that, I usually have one bomber a night. This tasting I'm planning would take place on a weekend when very little is expected of me. Th thing about strong beers like that is that you don't drink them fast. I have far less of a problem with hangovers because I pace myself. I usually can't consumer those kind of beers fast enough to get really ripped. It once took me over an hour to drink 12 oz of DFH 120. I make a poit to alternate glasses of water between each beer.
  9. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Well, there's the difference. Once the beautiful nectar hits my lips, its all over. I don't hink I've had a good beer sit still for more than 60 seconds.
  10. RayUF07

Ratings Received:
    +224
  11. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Ruination 10th anniversary this evening.

Bought a 4 pack of DFH Olde School, too. Barleywine with a 15% abv punch. I'll sample one of those this weekend.

I didn't buy but was intrigued by the Stone Verticle Epic. Anyone tried it? Bottle looks cool.

Edit: Stone 10th anny is killer, imo, still... Verticle Epic got abused on beeradvocate. Think I may skip it at 10 bucks a bomber. Wife came home, saw the DFH symbol and popped an Olde School and said "I love dog fish head". Doh. (I keep 60 min in the fridge regularly) She couldn't get past sip 1. The alcohol makes it's presence felt like a mother-in-law. Ouch.

Slight hangover likely tomorrow.
  12. mexicanconnection2002

mexicanconnection2002 Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Last night was Ballast Point Sculpin IPA and SN Narwhal Imperial Stout. Both were very impressive.
  13. gator884

gator884 Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Had the 12-12-12 Epic on Christmas and you didn't miss out on much.

Channing, tried to send you a PM but your box is full FYI.
  14. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +552
    Thanks. Just tried clearing it out on my phone. Hopefully that works
  15. RayUF07

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Another growler of peach jai alai for tonight. I'll go refill a couple gallons tomorrow.... they have White Oak available tonight for the first time I can remember. Also, Red Tocobaga is back and available for growlers as well. I just hope they don't sell out tonight.....

[​IMG]
  16. g8rchica

g8rchica New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Shock Top. Mmmmmm
  17. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Have never tried it. Then again, I haven't tried Busch Natural Lite for a while. Sorry. This is the last gasp of Anheuser Busch HQ to prove to their parent company, InBev that they can make a fake Belgian White better than Coors' Blue Moon, which is like making a better car than the East Germans were making in the 1980s. Blue Moon is sewage.

Try Hoegaarden and you will never touch a Shlock Bottom again. If you don't want to pay for an import, try some of the great American craft knock-offs, Allagash White or Stillwater Cellar Door, if you can find it.

It's a big world. Get the hell out of St. Louis.
  18. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    It's called Monterrey. $4.99 for a six-pack at Aldi's. It tastes just as good as Corona.

Sorry, it does.
  19. RayUF07

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I'll be getting some Stone Enjoy By 2/15/13 tomorrow. Can't wait to try it.

There will also be more fresh Pliny, and other surprises. Should be a good day.
  20. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Based on my last post, I'm obviously drinking something now. Finally found some Lagunitas Sucks. Got the second to last six pack from the fancy cheese, wine and craft brew place in town. I should drop by there more often. They're getting beers nobody else is getting around here. Will be back soon to pick up a six pack of Zombie Dust. Nobody else carries that around here either.

Back to Sucks. Who knew this stuff was just under 8% ABV? It tastes like 9%. It is so thick and deeply satisfying. I asked my buddy Will who is the cheese monger there if Sucks was worth aging. "Hell no. Not enough alcohol or hops. Drink it right away or it will turn to syrup." No argument there. Most of the way through a six pack. If Will was telling the truth, it will be worthless by tomorrow.

Might go back there tomorrow night to pick up some Zombie Dust, and because the other cheese monger is really hot. She and Will used to work together at Whole Foods. She must have been 16 when I first saw her stocking produce six or seven years ago. Surely she's old enough and she hangs out at Poor Phills to drink fine craft beers with all the guys. She actually remembered me and asked me my name. I also remembered her name, but I'm not going to share it because one of you might live near by and try to steal her heart before I do.

Then again, I'll probably find my wedding ring which I misplaced last night at the dojo where we are forbidden from wearing jewelry when we go on the mat. I'll find it and put it back on in the morning. When I go back to get my Zombie Dust, Ariana will no doubt notice my ring and it will break her little heart that the creepy 55 year-old bald dude fawning over her last night is married.

Damn! I revealed her name. But forget you read it here. She's mine, all mine.

Okay, I know this is a beer thread, but it's my beer thread. If you can't digress on a beer thread, where can you digress? I'm going out to my back porch to get another Sucks before it goes bad.

I should probably log off now. Bad enough that I've admitted an adulterous streak. I might actually start misspelling.