Beer you are drinking right now

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,003
    Corona....no lime nonsense....si.
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +871
    Light. Bud Light. In fact as soon as it's quittin time, I'm going to pop the top of a frosty cold one.

It is now quitting time.

CSSSHHHHH!!!!!!
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    You must live in Delaware. I live a mile west of the Chicago city limits. The Binny's chain carries Dogfish Head, but it's usually brewed only once a year. The allotment is sold out within a week. In 2010, there was no Dogfish Head 120. The batch was contaminated along with a substantial amount of 90 Minute IPA and they had to dump it. When it came out in 2011, it was gone in two or three days. Looks like they're going to release it three times this year, February, June and October. Guess I'll be there tomorrow night.

FWIW, I've never even seen a four pack of 120. Binny's must break them up and sell them one at a time.
  4. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    Good, but very expensive.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    Not around here. When I go out to hear live music, everybody is drinking PBR or 312 straight out of the bottle.
  6. gatorgreat08

gatorgreat08 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I live in Tampa. That really sucks that you have so much trouble getting Dog. I would think in a big city like Chicago there would be specialty wine / beer stores everywhere? There are at least three here. Hell, even Publix sells Dogfish 90 now. I know fresh market and whole foods sells it too (though I dont think any of them sell 120).
  7. amangator08

amangator08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    That's really surprising, because a friend of mine in Tampa that frequents the Dale Mabry Total Wine had to order a 120 off eBay for her husband for Christmas. Everything she told me about in her research to get it was in line with what Strange has been saying.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +286
    If you go to the DFH website there is a blog post from the owner about the distribution problems they are having. Basically they cant meet the demand and during 2011 decided not to export to the UK or Canada and pulled distribution from a few states that previously were receiving it. I am not sure if that they have made the necessary changes to meet the growing demand this year or not. But it seems like the further you get away from the footprint states it will remain a challenge to get DFH beer.
  9. gatorgreat08

gatorgreat08 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I just called the south Tampa total wine and it turns out they are out of the 120. Although i could swear they had some the last time I was there (2 weeks ago), because i was debating whether to get the raison, palo, or 120 for a party. As i said i don't drink 120 nearly as frequently as I used to, so I guess there has been a shortage and I just haven't noticed it.

I did buy a keg of 120 for my Dad over the summer and he seems to always have it when I go to my parents house. Maybe my Dad owns stock in the brewery or something.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    We get all kinds of Dogfish Head products, most of them in abundance, but 120 is very scarce. They brew small batches and ship everything out to distributors in 20 something states, then those distributors ration them. The beer buyer at Binny's says he doesn't even put 120 on display. The people who know about it will know when it's being brewed and they will ask to have some set aside. Getting an ample supply in Tampa was probably a distribution mistake. The brewery relies on scarcity to drive up demand. It retails for about $10 for a 12 oz bottle.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    I can't imagine getting DFH 120 for a party. Somebody would pour a glass and gag on it, then pour ten dollars worth of beer down my kitchen sink.

There was literally no Dogfish Head 120 in distribution for an entire year. They brewed one batch last year for bottles and another one for kegs. Very excited that they have a batch on the way now. I'm heading to Binny's tonight to see if I can get them to hold some for me.

If a 12 oz bottle is ten bucks, how much is a keg?
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    SCORE!

Just got a bottle of DFH 120 at Binny's. This is from the November batch. I was talking to two employees when one of them confessed to having stashed some away in the back for himself. The other employee was his boss. He gave him a look that said, "I can't believe you would say that in front of a customer without offering to let him have it." Then the guy turned to me and asked me if I wanted it. Now I officially have a beer cellar.
  13. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +616
    Not drinking any beer right now as I am still detoxing from Gasparilla but I did kill a 12-er of Sweetwater Pale Ale Saturday.
  14. gotime51

gotime51 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    i brew my own beer so im drinking the chris speacil
  15. ladyrockess

ladyrockess Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I generally get 24 packs of Stella Artois from Sam's Club - they're $25 so they're affordable.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    Bud Light is still one of my favorite beers to drink on the beach, second to Bud. Nothing else goes better with salt water and beach sand.
  17. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +304
    Just got through trying a 6 park of Sam Adams Alpine Spring. I thought it was a brand new one because I saw a couple of ads recently but it may have been around a few years.
    Not going to be a big favorite. Never had a beer give me the f@rts like this one. I know it's cheap entertainment but jeez.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gatorgreat08

gatorgreat08 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Dude, I completely confused dogfish 90 and 120 throughout this whole conversation. You are right, 120s don't come in 4 packs. And I bought my dad a keg of 90, not 120 (I just gave my mom the money, so i wasn't actually there when it was bought).

My bad! I should stick to drinking weaker beer from here on out.
  19. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    Honest mistake. Now, if you mistakenly purchased a 120 thinking it was a 90 and then took a big gulp, that would be a different kind of mistake.

Never.

But if you did, I saw on Dogfish Head's site that they are coming out with a 75 Minute IPA. That would be interesting. I don't really care for the 60.
  20. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Right now... Victory Hopdevil