Beer you are drinking right now

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jan 30, 2012.

1. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +901
    It's Hopslam season! Bagged my first today!
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    We got them three weeks ago. They're all gone now. Went through two six packs in a week. Glorious they were, but a distant memory now. Should have cellared a few. Just didn't have the willpower.
  3. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    After a ridiculously snowy day, going into a bitter cold night, I'm slipping into the footy-pajamas of craft beers;
    Six Points Hi-Res. This is a super strong variation of Six Points Resin. 111 IBUs and 11.1% ABV. The hops give the alcohol a good run for their money, but when the tape breaks, it's the warm booziness that takes the finish.

Interesting prose on the carton;
    "Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.
    Which of them has the grander view?
    Hi-Res. Zoom on, zoom in, hop out.
    This beer goes to eleven.

Reminds me of a song by Superdrag with backup vocals by Guided By Voice's Robert Pollard.
    The song goes good with the beer. Would probably go with any great beer.

Baby Goes to Eleven

4. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    You're lucky. Yours were bottle aged before you got them. We got them three days after they finished brewing.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    Why is that beer so expensive? It's a single IPA priced like a really good Imperial.
  6. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    That's what I picked up for the Super Bowl. Was pouring one when Percy grabbed that kickoff off the bounce. Spilled almost half of it yelling "Go Percy go."

Great beer and an even better value. Never get tired of it. My dog really enjoyed what I spilled on the floor. She slept well that night. Too bad she missed that kick return.
  7. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +934
    im drinking 55 calorie bud light and im slammed. i dont know how many i drank, i lost count.
  8. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +934
    Had Cigar City Puppies Breath on draft yeserday. A good dark beer but like the Maduro better.
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    Let's see if we can bring this thread back to life. I've tried a few new ones lately and one rarity that I've never been able to get my hands on. Biggest surprise was Revolution Un-sessionable DIPA. I think it's a backlash at all the new lower alcohol session IPAs like Founder's All Day IPA. This stuff is 100 IBUs and 10% ABV. It's very boozy in spite of the hop content. Goes down a little too easy. You could get yourself in trouble if you weren't keeping count. A six pack of 12 oz cans is about $13.00. Good value for around here, though our sales tax is very high.

Another local brewery Finch's has a new brewmaster and will be creating an entirely new lineup. First one out is Chimera Imperial IPA. Don't know what the hop content is but it's 9% ABV and a little more assertive with the bitterness. This one is an incredible value, $9.99 for a four pack of 16 oz cans. Seems to be very plentiful. The Un-sessionable ran out in less than two weeks.

Finally got my hands on Bell's Oracle double IPA. It was outstanding but very expensive. Also had the first of their new "Planet" series, Mars Imperial IPA. That was good as well. Had them about two weeks apart so I don't remember what was different about them. They were both in the 10% range and very different than Hopslam.
  10. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,847
    I'll help, Strange, but I might not bring to the table what most want to see.

After growing up a cheap beer drinker like the rest of us, I later acquired a taste for yummy microbrews and have been drinking and enjoying them for years (like the rest of us). Or so I thought.

A funny thing happened this summer. I was having a Q in my backyard w/ friends. Pork butt, and ribs in the smoker, kids running around, hot as hell (for Maine). On a whim, I bought an 18pack of the Silver Bullet and buried it in ice, beer-commercial-style.

Damn, were those things cold, crisp, and refreshing. I took down a lot of them that day and because of this I had an epiphany on many things.

1.) I wasn't sloppy wasted.
    2.) My stomach wasn't all "errggg"
    3.) I had room to plow through piles of smoked meat AND dessert.
    4.) I felt fine the next morning.

Later the following week. I had an after work biz meeting where I took down two local craft beers. On my drive home I noticed my head was congested (most people are "allergic" to beer to some level - Coors isn't really beer. ;) ). And the next morning I woke up and could tell I had drank. TWO BEERS!

I haven't really gone back. I'm not anti-tasty beer. I still think some of them are great. I do think that the craft beer industry has jumped the shark with their "how much hops, or how much flavor can I jam into a bottle" approach. For me, it backfires. A lot.

So anyway, a nice simple American lager/pilsner works great for me! I'm even seeing more craft brewers offer simple Lagers. When I'm at a hipster joint that doesn't even serve PBR, I'll go this route if I can.

tl;dr: Craft beers have gone overboard. Coors Light FTW!
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    I have had some new ones lately too. On my trip to Florida about three weeks ago finally got to try some Cigar City stuff. Has the Jai Lai and Maduro. Good stuff, I can see why the name comes up a lot on here.

Last night I had the Miles Davis Bitches Brew by Dogfish Head. It was good but not something I would go back to. Though I do have to say I really like the music themed beers they have made. American Beauty and the one they made for Deltron were both very good.
  12. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Speaking of Dogfish Head, I am sure it has come up pages back, but I am loving the Red and White. Perfect combination of bitter for my tastes and floral for my wife. 10% ABV as I recall.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    I saw that one when I was looking last night and had no idea what it was. I ended up getting the Lagunitas Night Time instead, gonna try that one tonight.
  14. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Let me know what you think. I am having the Palo Santo Marron tonight.
  15. scbeerman

scbeerman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Great to see this going again. I distribute Dogfish Head, and they have very high quality products.

I have some Cigar City via a friend on a trip down there. I also purchased some Devil's Backbone last week in Virginia. That is another quality brewery, primarily in Virginia, DC and Maryland.
  16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,115
  17. bigkid62

bigkid62 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Highland oatmeal Porter right now.
  18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,115
    Just finished a growler of Widmer Raspberry Imperial Stout. Good, but nothing great.
  19. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    Glad to seem some beer enthusiasts regain their voices.

Saw a job listing today I could help jumping on. New Belgium is looking for a creative director. Not that anxious to leave Chicago but a job like that and moving back to Colorado after over 30 years was too much not to take a chance on. Wish Ft. Collins was closer to my favorite ski destinations. Just a bit too north and too far from Boulder to commute. Not like I have an offer or anything. I'm a pretty good candidate though. Spent two years on Budweiser and four on Goose Island, including the launch of 312 and Matilda.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Good luck Strange.

Gotta love the beeer scene in CO. I have a friend from Tampa who made the move about a year ago. He is in the industry so it just made sense.