Beer you are drinking right now

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jan 30, 2012.

1. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Ballast point sculpin IPA
  2. wengator

wengator Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Sitting New Orleans at The Corner Bar drinking Abita Amber! Gator awful but beer good.
  3. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    I was in Jax this week for work and got to visit channingcrowderhungry's beer store in Riverside. It's a nice store in an great location. I was very impressed with the selection. CCH really knows his beer. Anyone who lives there should be stopping in.

I bought the last 6-pack of Cigar City Jai Alai along with Cigar City Helles, Intuition Jon Boat, and Bold City Duke's Brown Ale. If I wasn't driving up to St Simon's Island I would have waited around for the delivery truck to bring more Jai Alai. In Brunswick, GA I added some Coastal Empire Tybee Blonde and Savannah Brown Ale.

I contacted CCH on Monday and made arrangements to drop in on Wednesday. On Tuesday night after having dinner with a customer I decided I wanted to try this Cigar City people here talk about. I googled who might have it on tap.

I drove over to Riverside to Pele's Wood Fire restaurant. There were a few customers in there with only one at the long bar. I ordered a CC Jai Alai draught and sat done at one end of the bar where the TV had UK basketball losing, which is always enjoyable to watch. A couple came in and sat at the other end of the bar and had the TV turned to the Gator bball game that was just starting.

I then order a board with four samplers of Florida beers: Bold City Killer Whale, Bold City 1901 Red Ale, Bold City Dukes Brown, and Swamp Head Midnight Oil. The bartender threw in a free taste of Intuition I-10.

The bartender asked how I liked them and I said I was going to a beer store the next day to pick up some. She asked which one and I said beer:30. She said it was just a couple doors down the street and that the guy at the other end of the bar worked there. I went over and introduced myself and it was CCH himself. What are the odds of that?!

My assessments:

Cigar City Jai Alai - even though the server said it was light on hops, I thought it was just the right hops. It was every bit as good as people here describe.

Bold City Killer Whale - a little bit of an aftertaste. Not very impressive to me.

Bold City 1901 Red Ale - coffee aroma, Decent flavor.

Bold City Dukes Brown Ale - better flavor.

Swamp Head Midnight Oil - coffee flavor again. Also decent.

Intuition I-10 - good flavor.

All told, though, the CC Jai Alai was the best by far.
  4. RayUF07

RayUF07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Just canned today for the first time, love this stuff and hope they can make it more/more often soon!

[​IMG]
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +698
    Hell yes! Definitely a coincidence and great to meet you and talk some beer. Hope the beers are great.
  6. RayUF07

RayUF07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Easily my favorite Jai Alai treatment to date and one of my favorite new beers of the past couple years. Must. Get. More.

[​IMG]
  7. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +911
    [​IMG]

not beer but us sober folks gotta drink something
  8. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    This is true. I've made it a point to try every different root beer I can find. There are actually craft root beers.

By the way, if you stayed on the wagon after yesterday's game my hat is off to you!
  9. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +911
    I haven't tried their root beer yet but that grape soda was phenomenal. And a side note, being sober has helped deal with this season! Lol

Sent from my mind using ESP
  10. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +714
    Had a solid T-giving lineup. Highlites among many others were:

Good Gourde
    Life is Like
    KBS
    Imperial Biscotti Break
    FBS and lots of others.

Picked up a bunch of BCBS today.

Cheers.
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,092
    Did everyone stop drinking beer since November? Hope you're catching up tonight.

Just picked up a four pack of Evil Twin's Moltav Cocktail. It's about as subtle as the name. It's got some real heat to it, over 100 IBUs and 13% ABV. A little mellower than Devil Dancer. A lot mellower than DFH 120, but it's pretty assertive, just not so much on the front. It's the perfect beer for a night like tonight. Snow's been falling about two inches an hour since late this afternoon. It's supposed to keep falling till late morning. It was 16 degrees out last I checked. Got three more of these, but I have to go to bed soon. Driving to Atlanta in the morning. Going to try to leave around three or four am. Should sleep well. Don't know how well I'll wake up.
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +714
    Not sure why the thread died, Strange (or why the pub is dying). BUT, I'm drinking a Cinnamon Rolled Wake n Bake right now and must say this beer is absolutely incredible. Also, stoked about the release of Hopslam in a couple weeks! One of my all time favorites.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
    I picked up the American Beauty from Dogfish Head recently and really like it. Of course as it was a tribute to the Grateful Dead they used Granola in the recipe. I also grabbed the Game of Thrones beer from Ommegang. Take the Black stout. Haven't tried that one yet.
  14. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +911
    my activity is down due to the fact that my posts were sent from the app. now this site using chrome on my mobile, inputing is a bitch
  15. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,092
    Stranded in Lafayette, IN (per my other thread). No beer yesterday because of blue laws. Nothing seems to be open today. There's an ad for a liquor store on my motel key card. Think I'll call them to find out how far they are, then venture out under the pretense of picking up groceries for the family. Would hope an Indiana liquor store would stock beer from Indiana's pride and joy, Three Floyds, though I would pass on the actual Pride and Joy for something much stronger.
  16. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,092
    Only store open was Wallmart. Picked up a sixes of Two Hearted Ale. Would have preferred more of a "warmer," but it's certainly a fine beer. Family is upstairs arguing over what to watch on TV. I'm sitting in the lobby next to the indoor heated pool. Just saw two very attractive young women check in. Hope they bought their swimsuits. I might have a spare beer or two for them.
  17. Hilldw

Hilldw Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I checked the thread back to October and didn't see this show mentioned so if it has been discussed already, my bad.

You all should check out the show Brew Dogs on the Esquire network. It's about two brewers from Scotland traveling around the US and visiting craft breweries. The show usually is made up of three components. 1. They go to a local craft brewery and make a beer unique to the place they are visiting. In Seattle, for example they make a Stout with locally made chocolate and of course coffee. In San Diego they make an IPA using kelp. 2. The guys go around to public places and introduce "Craft Beer Virgins" to the craft beer world. They also talk about some of the best breweries in the area they are visiting and what they are known for (I have a bit of a running list of beers to look out for from this). 3. They usually add a ridiculous element to the brew they are making. In San Diego they Brew on a moving train, in San Francisco they use water captured from fog to make their beer, etc...

Anyways its worth a look, especially if you are interested in the brewing process.

I missed a craft beer festival near me a few weeks back. I didn't hear about it until the day after. I was so ticked. Anyways I haven't tried much lately but I will post when I do. Cheers.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
  19. mexicanconnection2002

mexicanconnection2002 Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Lagunitas Maximus IPA
    • Like Like x 1
  20. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,092
    Hopslam. Just arrived yesterday from Kalamazoo. They got ten cases at the local Whole Foods. Some A-hole bought four of them. Anyway, I snagged a warm sixer last night on my way home from the dojo. Chilled three of them for tonight and drank them with the leftover chili from Monday night. Damn they were good. It's going down to minus six before sunrise. Got myself warmed up for bed. Hope to sleep late.
    • Like Like x 1