"because we destroyed ourselves"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Aug 20, 2014.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    It's too bad none have gone to jail for what you believe to be a massive fraud perpertrated upon all of us. I wonder why that is.
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,187
    I don't think the jails are filled with the kid that was sell dime bags. This argument is used all the time but in reality I think its far from accurate. If a person is being jailed for simple possession I'm willing to bet there is a little be more to it than that on their criminal record. However, you may think it's harmless to be selling weed by I on the other hand do not.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557
    Funny thing about that. The worse the borrower, the better the rating from the agencies once it was packaged. Their logic was higher interest rates. Kind of ignores the obvious, don't ya think? But it didn't keep G&S (and the rest) from minting billions selling them, did it? Yeah, innocent mistake.
  4. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    Wow, 400? How many whites were killed by police officers?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557
    Well, with 5000 lobbyists and billions in campaign contributions working for that industry, I'd say the answer is pretty easy. Probably explains how the architect of deregulation (at Harvard, then under Clinton) was appointed by Obama to oversee the recovery. Nobody in America has more political power than the financial services industry and specifically GS. Which explains why there is no change in policy whether the government is (D) or (R). Which explains why nothing happened to them.

You really need to wake up and smell the coffee.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557
    Dime bags, as I pointed out earlier, is not simple possession. One dime bag, yes. Multiple dime bags = possession with intent to distribute.
  7. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    the roll continues...
  8. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +370
    No coffee needed here, I certainly don't think there was some wide spread plan to defraud millions. Were there some bad apples, sure.
    I also don't think "the people" who borrowed to the hilt are some innocent pawns here either.

But we certainly have gotten far off the original topic.

BTW I agree with with your post above in principal
  9. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +370
    But if they have multiple dime bags isn't that their intent? Distribution?
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557
    Yeah. You think that's worth 5 years in the pen?
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557
    Much more than a few bad apples. You need to watch this. Everyone needs to watch this.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/insidejob/

You can watch it for free here (and don't worry, he saves Obama for last).

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/inside_job_2010/
  12. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +867
    In 1950 there was a higher percentage of babies born out of wedlock in whites than blacks (I recall this stat from yr back, but I may have wrong yr).

The destruction of the two-parent family, thus single mom, results in a greater likelihood of poverty as well as lack of male parental nourishment in young men.

Oddly, though not equal, I think it was Kruger Nat'l Park in Africa that yrs back decided to move some elephants, so do to need to use of copters and weights, they moved the smaller "teens", as in males without older bull males. Result: young males began killing other animals, like rhinos, etc just for the kill. No supervision by an adult male to teach a young male how to behave. Sounds goofy, but too many males in today's society are not properly raised to behave and grown into men. They may have the body of a "man", but their act otherwise.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Black men were targeted by the law inadvertently. Let's go at this way - what if there had been no War On Drugs? Would anything change? Not much really. Murder is murder and these men would not have avoided it in the long run. Demand for drugs in the 1970s was high no matter if there was a war on it or not. These guys might have been drug czars and there would have been a rampant drug issue in this country and that by itself would have removed one or both parents from being parents.

I would posit that the decline of the Black family actually started after the Civil Rights Movement. The black family until that time was close-knit, hard-working, driven to survive, driven to stand above racism. Once it was passed, they had nothing to focus on anymore. Some did take the opportunity to start successful businesses but mostly black men lost their drive from the 1950s to the 1970s. Maybe Vietnam had something to do with it but I don't think it was the War on Drugs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557
    I don't think it was solely that. I do think he makes a point in it being a part of the equation (that's my takeaway), and I think it's an interesting one. I don't think the civil rights movement died so much as morphed into something else, something that in many cases promoted a message of make it right/entitlement that may also be a factor. Somewhere a connection was made between increasing welfare and pro-black and that may have created some inherent problems of its own.

The bottom line is - whatever the reason - we need to get over it and get past it as a nation and explore all the possible causes and solutions. The crucial part of that is to have a real honest dialog (not political lip service) and that means that all parties need to leave their emotions and penchant for outrage at the door. Sometimes, I'd swear race relations were actually better in the 80s than they are now. That they don't seem to be even marginally better is sad IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,309
    Going back to the very basics, there are people who come out of really lousy families who turn out OK. But the odds are simply much lower than kids coming out of families like mine and, I assume, all or most of yours on this board. In Jacksonville, we've had a couple of high-profile stories of kids in horrific families. Neglect, absent parents, substance abuse, physical abuse ... families where everyone goes to jail at some point in their lives. Pretty hard to expect kids who grow up like ours.
  16. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +854
    That difference in incarceration rates has very real impacts on the next generation, who are then more likely to end up in jail, continuing the cycle.

Charts: Kids Are Paying the Price for America’s Prison Binge

17. texigator

texigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Well, just as an observer, I'd say the author's premise that there is a shortage of marriageable males is flawed. The single moms are making babies with someone, and many times its multiple babies with multiple fathers. They just don't get married and that is a direct result of the financial reward of being single moms.
    • Agree Agree x 1