"because we destroyed ourselves"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Aug 20, 2014.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +877
    Don't know anything about the author, but the article is well-sourced. Provides numbers showing that the decline of the Black American family began with the War on Drugs in the 70s, not on the expansion of welfare in the 60s.

tremblethedevil.com

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
  3. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,806
    Wow, four words in a url that intellectually invalidates anything that could follow -- unless it's satire, I guess.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    Destruction of the family unit is what is killing not only black communities but all of America. Poverty isn't the biggest issue, it is the lack of investment of parents in the kids they decide to bring into this world. You grow up poor, but have two parents who take an active interest in your life, you have a chance. When you have no parent actively involved and interested in your life, whether rich or poor, you are at high risk of being an unproductive member of society.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. philnotfil

Ratings Received:
    +877
    Three words :)

That was my first thought as well, but the article is well sourced. I suppose I could have just posted all the links that were in the article without posting the url that curated them for me. But it seems like the author should get credit for the work they did in putting it all together.
  6. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Kids are now "disposal" for many. If they're not aborted via fetal extraction .... they are simply dumped on "the state" for "safekeeping" until old enough to take care of themselves or to be cared for by "the state".
  7. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    War on drugs is perhaps the leading factor in the breakdown in lower class black communities, but let's put a little wrench into "overall":

1. Black divorce rate and single-parenthood started increasing in the early 1950s
    2. Crime in the US has dropped dramatically, over 65% nationally for all Part I "Index" Crimes (murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft).
    3. This crime drop has been led by a significant reduction in crime among African Americans.
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I dont see how those are seperable or distinct things.
  9. philnotfil

Ratings Received:
    +877
    1. Yes, at about the same rate as it did nationally. The big divergence between blacks and the rest of the country took place in the 70s, after the war on drugs got rolling.

2 and 3. Yet the incarceration rates are holding steady or going up. Weird.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    Article addresses this pretty clearly. In essence, his point is that the drug laws enacted in 1973 unfairly targeted blacks and removed that person (male) from the equation and did so at an alarming rate. I don't know how well researched it is (I'll have to check his sourcing), but it's an interesting point. FWIW, the author makes the point you're making several times in the article.
  11. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    I agree, they are not mutually exclusive. I believe a person could, in all likelihood, take care of themselves on a minimum wage job. Now the first thing you look for when someone is flat broke is: do you have kids and how many kids do you have and that usually will give you the reason. You want to escape poverty? Do not have kids until you reach some level of financial and emotional security. The problem is people without any money or motivation for raising children are having multiple kids. That, to me, is insane and that is where you have to start in the poor communities (black, white, latino etc.), if you want to turn things around. You want to destroy your life, it is one thing, but bringing a kid into this world and playing a big part in destroying their life is another thing.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,608
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    Not really. With the privatization of prisons (couched in "cost savings") Wall Street, etc. has basically found a way to monetize crime for profit. IMO, not at all unlike the way they monetized bad home loans. My understanding is that many states have prison occupancy quotas in their contracts with these companies, whereas if they fall under a certain percentage of occupancy, they have to pay Wackenhut, CCA money back. I mean, talk about troubling. We have now created monetary incentives to incarcerate.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,910
    interesting article....whether it is just correlation or causation, hoping the trend of loosening marijuana laws continues...too many minorities being disproportionately sent to prison for small offenses
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. philnotfil

Ratings Received:
    +877
    Exactly, it isn't about the crime rate, it is about the incarceration rate.

If blacks used drugs at higher rates than whites, this wouldn't be a big deal, but they don't. Yet they are much, much more likely to end up in jail on drug charges. Leading to all the problems that are often attributed to the welfare state, but can be shown to be linked more strongly to the war on drugs.

(I should have added a sarcasm tag to "Weird." ;) )
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    I just don't understand why doing something illegal like engaging in illegal drugs is an excuse to not be a parent to your kid? If you have a kid, why the heck are you participating in drug use to begin with? Right there, that is reason enough that you should seriously consider not having children. The excuses and victim mentality is quite ridiculous at times. Again, you want to destroy your life with drugs, alcohol, gambling, go ahead, but once you bring children into this world, it is time to act like a responsible parent. The problem exponentially worsens. Its very sad.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,910
    wondering if it actually "targeted" black males, or institutional bigotry/racism played out...
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    Targeting was probably a bad choice of words (Though the Nixon quotes make you wonder. . . ). Perhaps "caught in the indiscriminate web of" would have been better.
  19. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Yeah - I mean, even if this author's hypothesis is correct, no one has forced any of them to make decisions that involve illegal activity. Doesn't mean we shouldn't look critically at things like the war on drugs, I think it just means there's two sides to everything. At what point is a person no longer responsible for the choices they make?

I'm all for loosening just about all of our drug laws and their consequent punishments, but at the end of the day I can't help but ask, "If you know it's illegal, why do it?"
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,910
    when it comes to folks of lower incomes, black or white, often they weren't taught any better themselves, and are surrounded the same...which is why it is rare for someone to come out of those conditions and rise up the ladder

yes, that may sound like an excuse to you, but the facts bear it out...very few success stories in rising out of your income class...whether poor or middle class