Beans!

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by deathroll, Aug 19, 2013.

1. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +515
    I love 'em. Anybody got any bean recipes they'd care to share?

I like red beans, black beans, green beans, baked beans, just about any kind of beans.

I'd love to know if y'all have any special way of fixing any kind of beans?

And the thread begins....
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FrozenGator82

FrozenGator82 Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Funny you should mention. My little boy and I ate Hoppin' John (made with chorizo instead of bacon or pork cheek) for dinner tonight. I enjoy making black beans w/rice and red beans w/rice. Fresh green beans sauteed with garlic, onion, and tomato are a great side. Rick Bayless has a great black bean-chorizo torta that I like to make on weekends. And of course the meal that I sustained me through grad school: hummus and pita.

Anthropology note: beans are one part of the Three Sisters - the other two being corn (maize) and squash. These crops were the agricultural staples of Native American cultures prior to the introduction of European grains and domesticated animals. The Three Sisters provide a balanced diet.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    My go-to bachelor-life meal: chicken quarters with skin on, pan-fried and finished in the oven with Cuban spices (kinda like Pollo Tropical), yellow rice with veggies mixed in, and a can of black beans with diced tomatoes and more of that Cuban spice. Throw an onion in there too. Then you just kinda mix all of this up on your plate and douse it with Cholula. A pack of King's Hawaiian rolls is the gravy on top...they are excellent vehicles for sopping up all the remnant goodness.
  4. FrozenGator82

FrozenGator82 Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Now you've got me wanting a pack of Hawaiian rolls!
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,205
    here are 2 of my favorites- not original with me but both well worn and proven- first is red beans and rice from the Gumbo Pages, the second id the Columbia Restaurant's Spanish Bean soup:

1 pound red kidney beans, dry
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    5 ribs celery, chopped
    As much garlic as you like, minced (I like lots, 5 or 6 cloves)
    1 large smoked ham hock, 3/4 pound of Creole-style pickle meat (pickled pork), or 3/4 lb. smoked ham, diced, for seasoning
    1 to 1-1/2 pounds mild or hot smoked sausage or andouille, sliced on the bias
    1/2 to 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
    1 or 2 bay leaves
    As many dashes Crystal hot sauce or Tabasco as you like, to taste
    A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
    Creole seasoning blend, to taste; OR,
    red pepper and black pepper to taste
    Salt to taste
    Fresh Creole hot sausage or chaurice, links or patties, grilled or pan-fried, one link or patty per person (optional)
    Pickled onions (optional)

It's not necessary to soak the beans overnight, but you can if you want to. If you do, drain the water and cover the beans with a double volume of fresh water in the pot. (This helps reduce the, um, flatulence factor.) Bring the beans to a rolling boil. Make sure the beans are always covered by water, or they will discolor and get hard. Boil the beans for about an hour, until the beans are tender but not falling apart.
    While the beans are boiling, sauté the Trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper) until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sautéed vegetables to the beans, then add the ham hock (or ham or pickle meat), smoked sausage, seasonings, and just enough water to cover.
    Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 2 hours at least, preferably 3, until the whole thing gets nice and creamy. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Stir occasionally, making sure that it doesn't burn and/or stick to the bottom of the pot. (If the beans are old -- say, older than six months to a year -- they won't get creamy. Make sure the beans are reasonably fresh. If it's still not getting creamy, take 1 or 2 cups of beans out and mash them, then return them to the pot and stir.)
    If you can ... let the beans cool, stick them in the fridge, and reheat and serve for dinner the next day. They'll taste a LOT better. When you do this, you'll need to add a little water to get them to the right consistency.
    Serve generous ladles-ful over hot white long-grain rice, with good French bread and good beer.
    -------------------------------

Ingredients

½ lb. uncooked garbanzo beans, dried (also called chickpeas)
    1 ham bone
    1 beef bone
    2 quarts water
    1 tablespoon salt
    ¼ lb. salt pork, cut in thin strips
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 chorizo (Spanish sausage), sliced in thin rounds
    2 potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
    Pinch of saffron
    ½ teaspoon paprika

Preparation

Wash garbanzo beans. Soak overnight with 1 tablespoon salt in enough water to cover beans. Drain the salted water from the beans. Place beans in 4-quart soup kettle; add 2 quarts of water and ham and beef bones. Cook for 45 minutes over low heat, skimming foam from the top. fry salt pork slowly in a skilled. Add chopped onion and sauté lightly. Add to beans along with potatoes, paprika, and saffron. Add salt to taste. When potatoes are tender, remove from heat and add chorizo. Serve hot in deep soup bowls. Serves 4.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,205
    sounds good, I would be tempted to make some fresh peasant bread instead of the rolls tho - :yes:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Beans! We have a thread on beans? :) Where's Jack?
  8. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,675
    rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppppppppppp
  9. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +515
    FWIW, Popeye's (chicken) makes very tasty red beans and rice. Had some tonight.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,675
    4Rivers baked beans are outstanding
  11. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    This is true

Sent from my mind using ESP